Getting too affected by soap opera

Watch
Jeana99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am getting too affected by my favourite soap opera that when something bad happen in it I get anxiety in my chest and I have to turn the soap opera off. I get very emotional and can even sometimes cry. It's not like this with all soap opera's (watch many others as well) only this particular one makes me feel like this. How do I peacefully watch the soap opera without getting too affected? When something bad happens in this soap opera I have anxiety in my chest for sometimes many days.

It might sound ridiculous but how can I stop this? I love the soap opera so don't want to quit it.
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not real.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it's affecting you negatively and you're clearly not enjoying it, why watch it?
Jeana99
Rep:
?
(Original post by SGHD26716)
It's not real.
I know but I am so emotionally connected to the characters that I can't help it.
Jeana99
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
If it's affecting you negatively and you're clearly not enjoying it, why watch it?
I enjoy the different tracks but only when something bad happens anxiety hits me hard in the chest for many days. Even when something bad happens the twists and turns are exciting for me to watch but it's only the anxiety which keeps coming back. I agree it's affecting me negatively but it's become an addiction can't survive without finding out what's gone on in the soap opera.

If you have any ideas on how I can get rid of the addiction of this particular soap opera please tell me or this soap opera will make me go mad with anxiety. It's not real all fictional but just too much for me to handle.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jeana99)
I enjoy the different tracks but only when something bad happens anxiety hits me hard in the chest for many days. Even when something bad happens the twists and turns are exciting for me to watch but it's only the anxiety which keeps coming back. I agree it's affecting me negatively but it's become an addiction can't survive without finding out what's gone on in the soap opera.

If you have any ideas on how I can get rid of the addiction of this particular soap opera please tell me or this soap opera will make me go mad with anxiety. It's not real all fictional but just too much for me to handle.
Google spoilers, find out what happened, then you don't need to watch it.
username3433134
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think it sounds ridiculous at all. I've felt this way about Eastenders recently (I suffer GAD) but I ENJOY watching it. I suppose If you accept to yourself that the fundamental plot lines of a soap are those that are bad/anxiety triggering then perhaps mentally you'll prepare yourself for it better? Or maybe record the episodes and take a break for a week or two so you're not so engrossed when you go back to it.

Maybe its your stress' way of saying that you're a bit stressed in your own life right now and this extra emotion is a bit too much on top.
Jeana99
Rep:
?
(Original post by PerhapsPhysio)
I don't think it sounds ridiculous at all. I've felt this way about Eastenders recently (I suffer GAD) but I ENJOY watching it. I suppose If you accept to yourself that the fundamental plot lines of a soap are those that are bad/anxiety triggering then perhaps mentally you'll prepare yourself for it better? Or maybe record the episodes and take a break for a week or two so you're not so engrossed when you go back to it.

Maybe its your stress' way of saying that you're a bit stressed in your own life right now and this extra emotion is a bit too much on top.
Eastenders is the soap I am talking about here. I have Autism so maybe that's what is contributing to all this anxiety.

I am just thinking of taking a break from the show until my mind it refreshed and I feel like I can watch the show again. I think recording the episodes will be a good idea as than maybe after the break the emotionally connection I have with the characters will lessen and I could watch Eastenders without severe anxiety.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28%
No (288)
72%

Watched Threads