The Student Room Group

*Urgent* Entry Requirements

I was told by my college last year that I should switch to applied maths (use of mathematics) because I did badly on my first test, they said this was equal to pure maths however a year later I've got a B at AS in applied maths and looking into universities. Several Russell Group universities say they don't count use of mathematics for a physics degree...

Is there any way I can study pure maths or an equivalent qualification in only one year and is it possible that my college would let me switch now?
Reply 1
That's definitely something you will have to ask your college, as it is up to them to sort out you doing the subject in a year. It will difficult because there won't be classes being taught at the time you're learning the topics (a year 12 class will start in the right place but go too slowly, and a year 13 class will start with content you won't understand having not done year 12 maths). However, it is possible to learn the maths yourself using a textbook and online resources, you just have to see if your college will and decide if you're happy to deal with the workload and the double load of exams at the end of the year.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending