How To Get Grade 9 in Maths GCSE [My Guide] Watch

RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, and I just finished my GCSEs, and beginning my Year 12 currently.

I walked out of my previous school with a 9 for Maths and A^ in Further Maths and I thought that I should make a thread to give pointers to students currently enduring their GCSEs next year (as in 2018)/

You may already be looking well ahead a grade 9, but this thread could still give you some extra pointers, or if you are looking to achieve grade 9, but you don't feel that you can get a grade 9, then I suggest you do what i'm going to say.

I felt the need to make this thread especially because during the last few months, I was helping out a lot of my friends by staying after school, lunchtimes, and etc for specially maths, and one of my friends whom i helped out till the last day (day before the exam) he walked out with an 8. I wasn't the total reason, but I was pleased to know I had a role in that.

Now, to get a grade 9, one of the most significant things which you would have to do is PRACTICE. Practice makes perfect. Unlike sciences and other subjects, maths isn't just one subject which you can master by memorizing everything in the textbook that your teacher gave you. It's a subject which requires utter concentration and dedication, especially if you are looking at high grade 9s and A^.

There are a handful of ways to practice maths. One of the best ways is to do practice papers, which are either done by your corresponding exam board, or by finding some that others have made and have generously put on the internet for the use of others. These papers are your key to success. Keep doing them, but make sure that you do with regular intervals, like every 1 month or if you are nearing the exams, every 1 week.

Doing papers isn't just enough. After each paper, you need to either mark it yourself or give it to someone else (parents, teachers, etc) and tell them to mark. Then you need to identify everything section which you did wrong. Then you want to redo and practice on that ENTIRE topic.
For example, you may have gotten a question wrong which required you to factorize a quadratic. However you may have got it wrong. Due to this, I recommend that you redo the entire factorizing section from your textbook, or the internet all over again, even if the question was 2 marks. Because remember, that 2 marks can be the stepping stone between a grade 9 and 8.

Practice papers aren't the only way. Many of you may have already heard about the books called CGP. Now, for maths, the book from CGP which I would recommend are the exam practice workbooks. These workbooks are filled with exam style questions, corresponding to their topics. Plus they also include a practice paper set at the end. The books cost around £5-7 depending on where you buy it. But remember, money is nothing compared to education. It's never wrong to spend a £1000 on education.

If you however feel that you are extremely stuck in maths as a whole, then I recommend that you get the revision guide, or do booster lessons at your school, or at home.

Now for those who want to revise hardcore maths, and by that, I mean doing hardcore questions which will stretch your boundaries, then I recommend the grade 9 targeted book. You can find grade 9 Targeted books from both CGP and another company (which I seem to forgotten lol.) These books are hard. At the start when I had bought them, I couldn't do the first page. I was stuck on it for hours before I could move onto the next page.
If this happens to you, don't worry. It doesn't mean your bad. It means you need more practice. Don't hesitate to look at the answer. If you truly feel stuck, then look at them. See how to book works it out. Then imitate that till you are comfortable with doing more questions like.

When you reach the exam season, one of the things I recommend students to do, is to put away their revision guides for maths, and starting working on questions. If you still have to look at revision guides in the last few days, it doesn't mean you're not ready for a grade 9. Therefore don't be put off by that. It's always good to learn something new.

It seems that I've focused a lot on books, but those aren't the only things. I also used a lot of online resources, such as MathsGenie, which was extremely useful as it provided me with papers and topic papers.

Also, if you have run out of exam papers by the end, or cannot afford to get any more papers from like CGP or something, then do other exam board papers. I did AQA, but during the exam season in my room, there was a lot of Edexcel papers from CrashMaths and etc, and a lot of OCR papers. I even did some of the really old linear B papers, which were perfectly helpful and even some of the WJEC papers, and some of the OCR CIE papers. It's totally fine to do other exam board papers. Remember that 2+2 is always 4. Maths never changes, and neither does the paper.

Remember to do a question till you can never get it wrong, not till you can get it right.

If anyone needs extra help, or extra resources (mainly AQA, including old Linear B papers, and the pilot papers and some of the practice papers) you are always more than welcome to contact me from TSR. If you need my help more often or such, I can trade emails and even phone numbers to help out. Don't hesitate.

If you have read this totally and felt it was helpful, please do tell me, and it pleases me to know that I've helped someone.

Thanks.
username3518032
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GCSEStudent_2017)

I walked out of my previous school with a 9 for Maths and A^ in Further Maths and I thought that I should make a thread to give pointers to students currently enduring their GCSEs next year (as in 2018)/

You may already be looking well ahead a grade 9, but this thread could still give you some extra pointers, or if you are looking to achieve grade 9, but you don't feel that you can get a grade 9, then I suggest you do what i'm going to say.

I felt the need to make this thread especially because during the last few months, I was helping out a lot of my friends by staying after school, lunchtimes, and etc for specially maths, and one of my friends whom i helped out till the last day (day before the exam) he walked out with an 8. I wasn't the total reason, but I was pleased to know I had a role in that.

Now, to get a grade 9, one of the most significant things which you would have to do is PRACTICE. Practice makes perfect. Unlike sciences and other subjects, maths isn't just one subject which you can master by memorizing everything in the textbook that your teacher gave you. It's a subject which requires utter concentration and dedication, especially if you are looking at high grade 9s and A^.

There are a handful of ways to practice maths. One of the best ways is to do practice papers, which are either done by your corresponding exam board, or by finding some that others have made and have generously put on the internet for the use of others. These papers are your key to success. Keep doing them, but make sure that you do with regular intervals, like every 1 month or if you are nearing the exams, every 1 week.

Doing papers isn't just enough. After each paper, you need to either mark it yourself or give it to someone else (parents, teachers, etc) and tell them to mark. Then you need to identify everything section which you did wrong. Then you want to redo and practice on that ENTIRE topic.
For example, you may have gotten a question wrong which required you to factorize a quadratic. However you may have got it wrong. Due to this, I recommend that you redo the entire factorizing section from your textbook, or the internet all over again, even if the question was 2 marks. Because remember, that 2 marks can be the stepping stone between a grade 9 and 8.

Practice papers aren't the only way. Many of you may have already heard about the books called CGP. Now, for maths, the book from CGP which I would recommend are the exam practice workbooks. These workbooks are filled with exam style questions, corresponding to their topics. Plus they also include a practice paper set at the end. The books cost around £5-7 depending on where you buy it. But remember, money is nothing compared to education. It's never wrong to spend a £1000 on education.

If you however feel that you are extremely stuck in maths as a whole, then I recommend that you get the revision guide, or do booster lessons at your school, or at home.

Now for those who want to revise hardcore maths, and by that, I mean doing hardcore questions which will stretch your boundaries, then I recommend the grade 9 targeted book. You can find grade 9 Targeted books from both CGP and another company (which I seem to forgotten lol.) These books are hard. At the start when I had bought them, I couldn't do the first page. I was stuck on it for hours before I could move onto the next page.
If this happens to you, don't worry. It doesn't mean your bad. It means you need more practice. Don't hesitate to look at the answer. If you truly feel stuck, then look at them. See how to book works it out. Then imitate that till you are comfortable with doing more questions like.

When you reach the exam season, one of the things I recommend students to do, is to put away their revision guides for maths, and starting working on questions. If you still have to look at revision guides in the last few days, it doesn't mean you're not ready for a grade 9. Therefore don't be put off by that. It's always good to learn something new.

It seems that I've focused a lot on books, but those aren't the only things. I also used a lot of online resources, such as MathsGenie, which was extremely useful as it provided me with papers and topic papers.

Also, if you have run out of exam papers by the end, or cannot afford to get any more papers from like CGP or something, then do other exam board papers. I did AQA, but during the exam season in my room, there was a lot of Edexcel papers from CrashMaths and etc, and a lot of OCR papers. I even did some of the really old linear B papers, which were perfectly helpful and even some of the WJEC papers, and some of the OCR CIE papers. It's totally fine to do other exam board papers. Remember that 2+2 is always 4. Maths never changes, and neither does the paper.

Remember to do a question till you can never get it wrong, not till you can get it right.

If anyone needs extra help, or extra resources (mainly AQA, including old Linear B papers, and the pilot papers and some of the practice papers) you are always more than welcome to contact me from TSR. If you need my help more often or such, I can trade emails and even phone numbers to help out. Don't hesitate.

If you have read this totally and felt it was helpful, please do tell me, and it pleases me to know that I've helped someone.

Thanks.
Thank you so so much! It's great to seek advice from someone who's achieved the results I actually want! I'm not doing my GCSE's this year but I still found this so helpful! I definitely will be investing in a Grade 9 Gcse maths book!
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
(Original post by sanaisax)
Thank you so so much! It's great to seek advice from someone who's achieved the results I actually want! I'm not doing my GCSE's this year but I still found this so helpful! I definitely will be investing in a Grade 9 Gcse maths book!
Nice to know that. Also, what year are you doing your GCSEs?
username3518032
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nice to know that. Also, what year are you doing your GCSEs?
I'm in year 10 at the moment - so I'll be doing it in the year 2019!
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
I'm in year 10 at the moment - so I'll be doing it in the year 2019!
Are you also doing Further Maths by any chance?
Ellasimpson_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow thank you for all your help! Ive been given targets of grade 9 in all my subjects this year (im in year 11) due to my year 10 mock results and i feel so under pressure to try and live up to this. After reading this i've ordered a grade 9 specific revision book for my exam board and will take on the rest of your advice! Just wondering which practice papers you would suggest ( edexcel) because of the new specification.
Thanks again for all your help!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellasimpson_)
Wow thank you for all your help! Ive been given targets of grade 9 in all my subjects this year (im in year 11) due to my year 10 mock results and i feel so under pressure to try and live up to this. After reading this i've ordered a grade 9 specific revision book for my exam board and will take on the rest of your advice! Just wondering which practice papers you would suggest ( edexcel) because of the new specification.
Thanks again for all your help!
Seeing as you are doing Edexcel, I would recommend the ones given by the exam board (found on the website or ask teacher, who should be able to give you one.)

If not, believe it or not, CGP also sells practice papers for each exam board. However if you feel that you have done all of them, or are finding them too easy, then i suggest CrashMaths, which i used.

https://crashmaths.com/gcse-practice-papers/

They have about 2 whole sets now, or else you can try Mathsgenie.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers.html

Both of them are for Edexcel, and you can even try some of the iGCSE edexcel papers, which can be found on the websites. You may not be able to do 1 or 2 questions from there, but overall they are still helpful.
Ellasimpson_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Seeing as you are doing Edexcel, I would recommend the ones given by the exam board (found on the website or ask teacher, who should be able to give you one.)

If not, believe it or not, CGP also sells practice papers for each exam board. However if you feel that you have done all of them, or are finding them too easy, then i suggest CrashMaths, which i used.

https://crashmaths.com/gcse-practice-papers/

They have about 2 whole sets now, or else you can try Mathsgenie.

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/papers.html

Both of them are for Edexcel, and you can even try some of the iGCSE edexcel papers, which can be found on the websites. You may not be able to do 1 or 2 questions from there, but overall they are still helpful.
Thank you so much for your help! I hope you do just as well this year.
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellasimpson_)
Thank you so much for your help! I hope you do just as well this year.
Thanks lol. But trust me, Maths gets even harder after GCSE. Not trying to scare you, but warning you.
Ellasimpson_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks lol. But trust me, Maths gets even harder after GCSE. Not trying to scare you, but warning you.
I can imagine! Thanks for the warning :s
ummarahman
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks.

as a person who stuggles with maths what are your tips ?
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
(Original post by ummarahman)
as a person who stuggles with maths what are your tips ?

Practice. Do lots of practice. Learn to understand different methods, and remember, it's never bad to not know something in maths.

If you are struggling as in you can do questions easily or take too long to do them, then practice is the best way. It may sound dumb, but once you practice a lot, you will get the hold of it.

Also, when you are working with things like surds, equations, etc, always simplify everything you can before you start, unless told so to not do that. Simplify everything, and this will make your workings more clearer and easier to work with the question as a whole.

One of the things i've noticed students do as a mistake is to take the long route everything. This means you'll get to the right answer, but slowly and you'll have to work harder. Don't let a simple equation get a point where you're writing across an whole page and end up getting confused.

Mathematicians are lazy, or as my teacher said so. Therefore, there will always be a simple way to an answer.

If you are still struggling, after tons of practice, you can always get some extra lessons or tuitions. It's not embarrassing or bad. You're going to be one benefiting from those extra lessons. You're teachers aren't only there to give you work and tell you the methods. They are being paid to help you out and guide you towards the correct direction. So don't hesitate to ask for help.
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
if anyone needs extra resources make sure to ask
username3518032
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you also doing Further Maths by any chance?
sadly not, i really wanted to do it but my school doesn't have it as an option
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
neither did I. I did it externally by paying the school about £40 (might be different in urs) but its worth it. I studied the FM spec and did practice questions.
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
if u do fm externally then u can ask me for some resources and websites which i found were pretty useful.
JoBrad14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much! I really needed to hear this and it was really motivating. I wouldn't say I struggle on maths but I'm not amazing at it so thanks! I'm in year 10 currently: any tips? I wanted to learn all the content first and then to papers, but should I do papers along the way, create flash cards, so I become really strong in the topics? What did you do in year 10?
RickHendricks
Rep:
?
(Original post by JoBrad14)
Thank you so much! I really needed to hear this and it was really motivating. I wouldn't say I struggle on maths but I'm not amazing at it so thanks! I'm in year 10 currently: any tips? I wanted to learn all the content first and then to papers, but should I do papers along the way, create flash cards, so I become really strong in the topics? What did you do in year 10?
Ah yes. Year 10.

During year 10, I didn't use any aggressive methods at all. I did everything my teacher told me to do, and the homeworks which I was given. I'd recommend you to complete the content first and then move onto the papers, AFTER a sufficient amount of practice with each sections. For example, if you finished algebra then do tons of questions on it. The 9-1 CGP book provides a lot of good questions, along with some other books. If u personally want some topic tests, then you can message me with the topic, and i'm more than ready to help with.
JoBrad14
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks so much
Scriptzer
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It really wasn't that hard to get a grade 9 in either of maths or English this year. That's why loads of people on TSR got triple 9's.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads