BenTheBlue
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

Has anyone done a foundation year as opposed to an access course?

I'm trying to decide between the two for next year in order to study BSc Psychology

I want to get into a Russell Group uni and the University of Sheffield (Russell Group) offers foundation years to get on to their Psychology course - No A Levels required.

I like the idea of it because there will be like minded students on the foundation year also going into 1st-year entry for Psychology at Sheffield.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BenTheBlue)
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the two for next year in order to study BSc Psychology

I want to get into a Russell Group uni and the University of Sheffield (Russell Group) offers foundation years to get on to their Psychology course - No A Levels required.

I like the idea of it because there will be like minded students on the foundation year also going into 1st-year entry for Psychology at Sheffield.
Advantages

Gets you onto the main degree.
Get to experience an extra year of uni.
Get to know lecturers, the uni and the way they like work.

Disadvantage

Extra years fees at Uni rates v access which you can get refunded.
Possibly uses a year of your limited student finance if its independent, but not if its an inclusive finance year.

Up to you which you prefer.
amyfordd
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BenTheBlue)
Hi all,

I've applied for the one in Sheffield. I went to the open day and the psychology talk which was very good! also spoke to some other mature students who did a foundation year and they said that everyone was very supportive. DM me if you decide to apply there!
KateMG
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did the foundation year at Sheffield last (academic) year and I'm just starting the first year of my degree. I found it a really positive experience, it's prepared me for taking a degree and was a great way to return to education after time out. I don't know how it compares to an access course because I haven't done one, but there were students who had and they did comment that they found it useful and that it was a step up in terms of how challenging it was.
Apollo2016
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Finance was the big decider for me. I couldn't earn enough part time to afford to go to college for the year. With a foundation year I was entitiled to the full loan for living costs.
It turned out to be the best decision for me as I am now settled in for my first year, I have sorted out a few issues that I had with transport, know my way arround, have made a few friends and I know a few of my lecturers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads