The Student Room Group

I am so tired of eating and I'm losing motivation.

I have been lifting properly and consistently for over a year now, mainly for strength, but for size as well.

I used to not have much of a social life and I was obsessed with the gym so I would always eat a lot and have a lot of motivation. Now I see it as such a chore.

I have gone down from 87kg to 84kg in the last month, and my bench press has gone down by about 5kg.

My bench is also pretty shiet for how long I've been lifting. It's only 85kg 1RM now from 90KG

My BF is probs about 14-15% btw.

What do you guys think?

@eden3 @qasim_96
Reply 1
Thanks mayne! Gunna push through it.
Original post by TehFen
I have been lifting properly and consistently for over a year now, mainly for strength, but for size as well.

I used to not have much of a social life and I was obsessed with the gym so I would always eat a lot and have a lot of motivation. Now I see it as such a chore.

I have gone down from 87kg to 84kg in the last month, and my bench press has gone down by about 5kg.

My bench is also pretty shiet for how long I've been lifting. It's only 85kg 1RM now from 90KG

What do you guys think?

@eden3 @shameful_burrito @qasim_96

I know how you feel. there's times where I don't feel motivated to go too. But you gotta remind yourself how far you've come and why you're doing this in the first place. Don't let all this effort you've already put in go to waste. Keep at it and you'll see the results. Good luck mayne :smile:
Make sure you're doing it for fun, don't make it an obsession otherwise you'll lose sight of what's important - unless that is what is important to you.

Original post by TehFen

What do you guys think?

Reply 4
Original post by TehFen

What do you guys think?

Hey mayne I'm glad you brought this up - this is a much more common issue than people realise.

From what I understand your time has been taken up by other stuff so you have to fit gym around it. That's alright, just manage your time and set a general routine which is pretty easy :wink:

What you said about it being a chore - from what I've heard, a lot of gym goers go through this phase. Keep forcing yourself through it and once you were back to where you were you'll see it as a hobby once again.

It's very normal to experience a plateau, especially if you've been eating less and you're not 100% into your workout. Try to get back into your old healthy habits and everything will fall into place.

Compared to me your bench is ****ing insane :lol: But honestly, I think you're being way too harsh on yourself, and you shouldn't be comparing yourself to others anyway - if I did that I would never set foot in the gym :rofl:

"Comparison is the thief of joy"

Your BF% sounds pretty healthy to me (lower than mine, I reckon). You sound like a fit guy.

Keep yo chin up mayne and get back to makin AWWWL KIIINDS OF GAAAAIIIIINZZ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfNJ5YhX2c
Less food, more shakes. How many calories are you aiming for a day mate?
"With self discipline, most anything is possible." - Theodore Roosevelt
Reply 7
Original post by eden3
Hey mayne I'm glad you brought this up - this is a much more common issue than people realise.

From what I understand your time has been taken up by other stuff so you have to fit gym around it. That's alright, just manage your time and set a general routine which is pretty easy :wink:

What you said about it being a chore - from what I've heard, a lot of gym goers go through this phase. Keep forcing yourself through it and once you were back to where you were you'll see it as a hobby once again.

It's very normal to experience a plateau, especially if you've been eating less and you're not 100% into your workout. Try to get back into your old healthy habits and everything will fall into place.

Compared to me your bench is ****ing insane :lol: But honestly, I think you're being way too harsh on yourself, and you shouldn't be comparing yourself to others anyway - if I did that I would never set foot in the gym :rofl:

"Comparison is the thief of joy"

Your BF% sounds pretty healthy to me (lower than mine, I reckon). You sound like a fit guy.

Keep yo chin up mayne and get back to makin AWWWL KIIINDS OF GAAAAIIIIINZZ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfNJ5YhX2c

Thanks for great response maynee. Makes me feel gewwdd deeep inside.

Your bench is good for how long you've been lifting btw 👍👍
Reply 8
Original post by WoodyMKC
Less food, more shakes. How many calories are you aiming for a day mate?

2900-3100. I am getting about 2600 or less now.
Original post by TehFen

We all go through this from time to time, my friend. I've found that giving myself the ultimatum of the 'right' way versus the 'easy' way.

The 'right' way always wins.

It's because it what I have to do for me - this might just be that now.
you cant expect to gain weight if you dont consume enough calories therefore is crucial for you to figure how many you need to reach your goal.
Aim for 6-7 meals per day with the right foods and incorporate some liquid meals to help you reach your caloric aim.
a little bit of juice would help you and never killed anyone
Original post by TehFen
2900-3100. I am getting about 2600 or less now.

Yeah, this should be easy AF then. You can get 1000-1500 calories into a single shake using simple ingredients such as milk, oat powder (MyProtein stuff in about £10 for 5kg), whey protein or egg protein powder, olive or walnut oil (walnut is nicer with sweet flavours), peanut butter and fruit and berries.

So, you could knock up three 1000 calorie shakes a day with 50g of protein in each one, there's your meals, or have two shakes a day and one food meal. Should be alright if you chuck a couple of portions of fruit in there for micronutrients (good guide of portion sizes here to get your "5 a day" https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Documents/Downloads/5ADAY_portion_guide.pdf)

Generally, though, you just get used to eating over time, especially when you gain muscle and burn more calories at rest. When I first started I was on 2700 calories a day and it was quite hard. Now I could ram in 5000 calories a day quite easily after 4 years.
Original post by TehFen

What do you guys think?

eating enough is the hardest part (for me anyway) I unintentionally lost 10kg thos year as too stressed to eat properly.

The key is taking time off work, also don't be afraid to dirty bulk and eat a bacon sandwich and then 7 cadbury mini rolls to get the calories up. Worked for me (got fat but also stronger)

Quick Reply

Latest