D grad on English language how to improve?

Watch this thread
Saras98
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Help please
keirajones2467
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
GCSE?
Make sure you understand what each question is asking. Look at a few past papers and note what each question has in common. For example for the AQA GCSE English language paper 1 question one is usually asking you to name four things about a subject from within a given section. On paper 2, question one is usually multiple choice and you must shade the correct statements.

Make sure you revise things like language techniques, know the difference between a metaphor and a simile and learn why these may be used. If you are analysing a simile, your WSA (word specific analysis) should focus on what the subject is being compared/likened to and why. Word types are also important (Nouns, adverbs, verbs and adjectives).

You need to practice identifying and analysing structural techniques, things like paragraphs, focus shifts, setting, the use of names and sentence forms.

Learn a few complex words if you can, especially for the creative writing elements for the subject.

Try to create your own paragraph structure, for the AQA GCSE spec my teacher taught me to use the following structure (adapting it for certain questions):
P- point - this is like an introduction to your idea, what are you trying to say to the examiner, if you can use a rule of 3
E- evidence - here you need to use quotations to support your analysis
WSA- word specific analysis- identify any techniques here and analyse the writers word choice, how is it intended to make the reader feel, why and what does it mean (use suggests and implies if you can)
R/A- reader or audience - why is this feature interesting to the reader

I hope at least some of this is useful, I'm happy to help if you need it!
Saras98
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by keirajones2467)
GCSE?
Make sure you understand what each question is asking. Look at a few past papers and note what each question has in common. For example for the AQA GCSE English language paper 1 question one is usually asking you to name four things about a subject from within a given section. On paper 2, question one is usually multiple choice and you must shade the correct statements.

Make sure you revise things like language techniques, know the difference between a metaphor and a simile and learn why these may be used. If you are analysing a simile, your WSA (word specific analysis) should focus on what the subject is being compared/likened to and why. Word types are also important (Nouns, adverbs, verbs and adjectives).

You need to practice identifying and analysing structural techniques, things like paragraphs, focus shifts, setting, the use of names and sentence forms.

Learn a few complex words if you can, especially for the creative writing elements for the subject.

Try to create your own paragraph structure, for the AQA GCSE spec my teacher taught me to use the following structure (adapting it for certain questions):
P- point - this is like an introduction to your idea, what are you trying to say to the examiner, if you can use a rule of 3
E- evidence - here you need to use quotations to support your analysis
WSA- word specific analysis- identify any techniques here and analyse the writers word choice, how is it intended to make the reader feel, why and what does it mean (use suggests and implies if you can)
R/A- reader or audience - why is this feature interesting to the reader

I hope at least some of this is useful, I'm happy to help if you need it!
Thanks so much really helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
19.83%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.9%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
17.24%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (29)
25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
20.69%

Watched Threads