Probation Services Officer Interview Advice?!

Watch
ryanjenkins_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone,

I recently applied to be a probation services officer and have managed to make it to the half day assessment centre, it says that it consists of a written exercise, group exercise and one-to-one interview.

I feel the group and written exercises will be fine, but I'm concerned about the one-to-one interview. Does anyone have any idea what sort of questions will be asked? It's not until October but I would really like to get ahead. I will be against those with degrees and probably people with far more experience than myself, and would like to ensure I give myself the best chance possible.

I know the interview will be competency based and I will need to give examples - has anyone been through this interview before? Or does anyone have any idea how the best way to prepare my interview answers would be?

I'm desperate to get my job as it's the way I'd like to progress, and if I got this it would mean gaining my vocational qualification and not having to go to university for 3 years just to apply again.

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ryanjenkins_)
Hi everyone,

I recently applied to be a probation services officer and have managed to make it to the half day assessment centre, it says that it consists of a written exercise, group exercise and one-to-one interview.

I feel the group and written exercises will be fine, but I'm concerned about the one-to-one interview. Does anyone have any idea what sort of questions will be asked? It's not until October but I would really like to get ahead. I will be against those with degrees and probably people with far more experience than myself, and would like to ensure I give myself the best chance possible.

I know the interview will be competency based and I will need to give examples - has anyone been through this interview before? Or does anyone have any idea how the best way to prepare my interview answers would be?

I'm desperate to get my job as it's the way I'd like to progress, and if I got this it would mean gaining my vocational qualification and not having to go to university for 3 years just to apply again.

Really appreciate any help.

Thanks
Competency questions will ask you to give evidence when you have demonstrated the skills required in the job, so the 'answers' are all in the job description. I'm guessing but maybe about giving a person bad news, calming a situation down, explaining something difficult, following a rule when you may think it best not to - that sort of thing.

So read the job application, and think of an example you've got from life to show you have the skills they ask for.

A good format is often the STAR format. it's easy to remember under pressure and gives a logical structure to your answer.

Situation - describe in a sentence the situation eg I witnessed a car crash at a road junction while waiting to cross the road.

Task - the drivers got out and started arguing right in front of me, and I thought I ought to diffuse it, especially as one driver seemed to have a cut

Action - I spoke very politely and introduced myself, and asked them to check for injuries. This caused them to stop and focus outside their argument which was probably only from shock, and they both saw the blood.

Result - they both calmed down and focussed on practical issues, my action seemed to diffuse the situation and stop anything more unfortunate develop.

Ok, not a very likely experience, but you get the idea!
Lou3007
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
HiMe too, in exactly same boat as you in Oct good luck
SameenaKhan18
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
Just wanted to know how long it took from starting the application to being invited for the assessment day? Also, do you know roughly when the applications open?
Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads