The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

First Timer’s Guide to Shopping for Other Essentials in Oxford

Jackets + Gloves + Scarves (Winter Clothes): if you’re coming from a warm country or a place with tropical weather and you have no idea what to get for winter (take notes) this is important.

Primark is the best introduction if you don’t know where to start. It’s a quintessentially British brand you might not be familiar with, but it holds some of the most affordable prices and it gives you an idea of what everyone else usually gets in winter. Hot tip: make a British friend who will accompany you / guide you through this shopping if you’re not sure what to get. Winter is coming and being prepared is super important to assure you will be comfortable, warm and won’t get sick while in uni!

Oxford’s only Primark is in the city centre by Queen’s Street. It’s a bit crowded because of its size but worth checking out.

Overall, the place to acquire any sort of winter equipment would be in the Oxford city centre. All the big brands live there; H&M, River Island, Topshop, GAP, Next. And whilst you are in them it is always worth asking for a student discount and looking at their sales rack; these stores might not be as affordable but you can definitely get good deals if you’re thorough in your shopping.

Towels / Bedding (i.e.: blankets, duvets, pillows, etc…): So, homeware as such you can find in a variety of places if for any reason you did not book a bedding set from your accommodation. Never fear, there are plenty of places to get things from. Primark being one of them, you can find affordable blankets, bedsheet covers, duvets and pillows in a limited range of colours and sizes. Due to the Primark being in the city centre however remember everything you buy has to be carried back up the hill! So, don’t rush into buying everything in one go.

Also, Debenhams and Marks & Spencer’s are an alternative place to get beddings, and with Debenhams especially you can find good deals at this time of the year.

Abigail J.
I know this is going to be annoying, because the advice is awesome and this is nitpicky, but Primark isn't a "quintessentially British" anything. They're an Irish firm.

Also, for homeware and things, you're better off heading to Wilkinson's or George at Cowley Centre. Sure, it's a taxi ride rather than a bus, but you'll get a way better selection and probably save more than the cab fare.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by Kandiman
I know this is going to be annoying, because the advice is awesome and this is nitpicky, but Primark isn't a "quintessentially British" anything. They're an Irish firm.

Also, for homeware and things, you're better off heading to Wilkinson's or George at Cowley Centre. Sure, it's a taxi ride rather than a bus, but you'll get a way better selection and probably save more than the cab fare.

Hi Kandiman

Thanks for adding your advice, Wilko is always a good shout! :smile:

No worries about nitpicking - I do reckon that Primark has a reputation as a British institution around the world though, despite it being an Irish firm! I know quite a few international students who think of it that way.

Hope you're looking forward to your course starting :smile:

All the best

Alice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending