This Day in History: Post Your Facts!

Watch
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Do you know any weird or wonderful "on this day in history" facts? Post them here!

For example, on this day, 13th September 1814, Francis Scott Key penned a poem which was later set to music and in 1931 became America’s national anthem, “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

The poem, originally titled “The Defence of Fort McHenry,” was written after Key witnessed the Maryland fort being bombarded by the British during the War of 1812. Key was inspired by the sight of a lone U.S. flag still flying over Fort McHenry at daybreak, as reflected in the now-famous words of the “Star-Spangled Banner”: “And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.”
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On this day, 13th Sept 2008, Hurricane Ike made landfall in Texas.

Edit: The damage it caused was the third most expensive to repair in the US, although it might be knocked down to the fourth depending on how much damage Irma did.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On this day, 13th September 2014, I discovered I had a pretty nasty fungal infection under my toenail.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
On 18th September:

1793 US President George Washington lays the cornerstone of the Capitol Building in Washington D.C.

Spoiler:
Show

:bump:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (7)
4.93%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.9%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
16.9%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.79%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.87%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.61%

Watched Threads