City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) applicants chat thread and FAQ 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by l1985
When did you apply?? Have you tried contacting admissions? X

I only send it off on the 5th of December. I haven't contacted admissions as I was unsure if this was the right thing to do. I'll certainly give them an email.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hello!

This is your chance to ask us any questions you have about living as a student in Sheffield, whether it's about studying one of our courses, moving away from home or finding a decent pint in the city.

Whatever your question is, we'd like to give you the chance to start a discussion and we'll chime in with suggestions and answers too. :h:

To get you started, let us know:

What course will you be applying for?

Where else are you thinking of applying to?

How are you feeling about starting uni?

Hannah, Reanne, Ellie and Anna
(Official Sheffield Hallam reps)

Hi,

I've applied for BA honors Primary Education (5-11), and early childhood studies. I sent my application off on 13th December 2017. When will Hallam reply?
(edited 6 years ago)
I’ve been told by admissions not to even expect to hear till after New Years they’re swamped
Original post by anyAdavieS
I’ve been told by admissions not to even expect to hear till after New Years they’re swamped

Do you mean swamped with applications for the courses I've applied for, or in general?
Hi everyone,

I know we are starting to get questions now of when they will hear the response about their applications.

I have been in touch with Admissions and they have told me that they are extremely busy (as @anyAdavieS said) and that they are still processing applications from November. I would check UCAS Track in the new year to see the status of your application, but if you have any questions about your application. The contact number to call admissions is 0114 225 4251 and they will be able to answer any questions you have about your applications.

I know it sucks to wait but the admissions team are working hard to process through the applications that they are being sent in, so please be patient. You will hear a response from them :smile:

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Reanne
Anyone know of any group chats on Facebook for Hallam, I’ve tried looking around but can’t find any. Just wondering if anyone was in one so can get to know a few people before moving!

Thanks
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi everyone,

I know we are starting to get questions now of when they will hear the response about their applications.

I have been in touch with Admissions and they have told me that they are extremely busy (as @anyAdavieS said) and that they are still processing applications from November. I would check UCAS Track in the new year to see the status of your application, but if you have any questions about your application. The contact number to call admissions is 0114 225 4251 and they will be able to answer any questions you have about your applications.

I know it sucks to wait but the admissions team are working hard to process through the applications that they are being sent in, so please be patient. You will hear a response from them :smile:

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Reanne

If I am called in for an interview, for BA Honors Primary Education (5-11), how can I prepare for it?
Reply 87
Original post by Zonyali123
If I am called in for an interview, for BA Honors Primary Education (5-11), how can I prepare for it?

Hi there,

I had my interview for BA Primary Education Early Years back in November. They will send you an email confirming what happens at interview. You will have a written maths and english test. You will also have an individual interview, and also you will need to prepare a lesson to teach within small groups. If you look on the website on the course page it tells you what will happen and what you need to bring too. Good Luck xxx
Hey guys , has anyone received an interview yet for child nursing ? I sent off my application early October & ive had offers and heard off every university besides Hallam :/ x
Original post by l1985
Hi there,

I had my interview for BA Primary Education Early Years back in November. They will send you an email confirming what happens at interview. You will have a written maths and english test. You will also have an individual interview, and also you will need to prepare a lesson to teach within small groups. If you look on the website on the course page it tells you what will happen and what you need to bring too. Good Luck xxx

I want to be prepared for the individual interview, as I'm not sure what sorts of questions they ask. How was the maths and literacy tests? Were they about the same as GCSE?
Reply 90
Original post by Zonyali123
I want to be prepared for the individual interview, as I'm not sure what sorts of questions they ask. How was the maths and literacy tests? Were they about the same as GCSE?

I can't remember the exact questions they asked me but they asked about how my lesson went and how it could be improved, and things about issues in education, about when you have volunteered etc. There was 7/8 questions i think. Have you done your QTS tests yet?? The Maths and English weren't too bad. I would say GCSE level ish yeah. xx
Original post by HavanaTiaX
Hey guys , has anyone received an interview yet for child nursing ? I sent off my application early October & ive had offers and heard off every university besides Hallam :/ x

I’m the same applying in October and offers from other places but with diagnostic radiography... I called up and I was told I should hear in the new year!
I think as said by Reanne above it's just a waiting game. I applied for Social Work back in November and SHU is the last to get back to me, but you've just gotta sit tight! :smile:
Original post by anyAdavieS
I’m the same applying in October and offers from other places but with diagnostic radiography... I called up and I was told I should hear in the new year!

Still nothing I emailed them and they said they would get back to me ! However I’ve just received an email about an applicant open day in March? Nothing in regards to an interview though :/
Still nothing I emailed them and they said they would get back to me ! However I’ve just received an email about an applicant open day in March? Nothing in regards to an interview though :/

Hi @HavanaTiaX

Have you tried calling Admissions? I would say that is the quicker way of getting a response, use this number - 0114 225 4251.

Let me know how it goes,

Reanne
Just been rejected :/

Don't be disheartened
I attended an interview for LD nursing and social work yesterday (After a night shift 🙈). I feel like I could've been more forward in the group task, which has left me doubting my chances, but I still found the day enjoyable.

Everyone involved is friendly, and helpful. I was lucky enough to talk to the course lead and it was reassuring to see how passionate they was about the course, and finding the right students. Good luck to anyone applying, or waiting for interviews. And I hope everyone finds it just as enjoyable and rewarding.

It's true what they say, the selection days aren't just about finding if you are right for the course, but if the course is right for you.

Why were you rejected? Did you meet the entry requirements? I'm so sorry to hear this.

Hey,

Sorry to hear that :frown: Which course have you been rejected from? Try not to be too upset with the news, I'm sure things will be ok!

If you don't end up getting a place for September, there's always Clearing that you can go through. You can use clearing if you didn't receive any offers or didn't meet the entry requirements - and you may be placed on a course that still has some remaining spaces. If you need any other advice about this, @SHUGURU got into Hallam through clearing so she may also be able to help!

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending