Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey☺️ I will be starting the mental health nursing masters in Jan 2018, and I am just wondering if any previous or current students could offer me some advice. As I will be studying in Royal Derby Hospital, is it best for me to live in Derby OR live in Nottingham and commute to lectures when needed to? Thanks guys🙂

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully someone responds to this, I'm starting the Adult branch in January too and am not sure where to live. Do you drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sergy1234)
    Hopefully someone responds to this, I'm starting the Adult branch in January too and am not sure where to live. Do you drive?
    I do drive, but won't be bringing a car with me. How about yourself? I did email the accommodation office asking for some advice, but they told me to come to here. Just so torn!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether I should buy a car or not, living in Nottingham looks a little bit cheaper but I don't know how reliable public transportation is to get to and from Derby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sergy1234)
    I'm not sure whether I should buy a car or not, living in Nottingham looks a little bit cheaper but I don't know how reliable public transportation is to get to and from Derby.
    Well I've been looking at university accommodation in Derby, as Derby uni reserve some of their accommodation for Nottingham nursing students. It's only about 20 mins walk to the hospital then.
    It's just so hard to decide😫

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJH94)
    Well I've been looking at university accommodation in Derby, as Derby uni reserve some of their accommodation for Nottingham nursing students. It's only about 20 mins walk to the hospital then.
    It's just so hard to decide😫
    hello, I've gotten an offer for foundation medicine and I have the same dilemma, I wanted to ask what choice you ended up making (derby or Nottingham) and if londsdale hall still exists
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey😊I ended up choosing to live in Derby, and I’m so glad I did. I know a few people on my course who have ended up moving from Nottingham to derby, as the commuting was too much. I also opted to go into private accommodation, and not student. Just because it’s sooo much cheaper, and I didn’t want to be stuck with noisy freshers (as I’ve done all that in my first degree😂).As far as Lonsdale halls go...I personally wouldn’t. Very expensive, and people I know living there hate it. They said it’s like arm barracks. One girl I know didn’t even have any cupboards/bed side table, and had one plug socket in the whole room. And another girl has been told she has to move out in July as they are knocking the building down🙈😳Hope this is of help!! Feel free to keep the questions coming😊Good luck!xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJH94)
    Hey😊I ended up choosing to live in Derby, and I’m so glad I did. I know a few people on my course who have ended up moving from Nottingham to derby, as the commuting was too much. I also opted to go into private accommodation, and not student. Just because it’s sooo much cheaper, and I didn’t want to be stuck with noisy freshers (as I’ve done all that in my first degree😂).As far as Lonsdale halls go...I personally wouldn’t. Very expensive, and people I know living there hate it. They said it’s like arm barracks. One girl I know didn’t even have any cupboards/bed side table, and had one plug socket in the whole room. And another girl has been told she has to move out in July as they are knocking the building down🙈😳Hope this is of help!! Feel free to keep the questions coming😊Good luck!xx
    you are actually a lifesaver, thank you so much for your advice etc, I hope your course is going/went well
    I also wanted to ask how you found living in derby in regards to the social side. you see I gym a lot and the gym in Nottingham is absolutely stunning did you commute to Nottingham uni for any reasons whilst you were studying your course and how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ireti)
    you are actually a lifesaver, thank you so much for your advice etc, I hope your course is going/went well
    I also wanted to ask how you found living in derby in regards to the social side. you see I gym a lot and the gym in Nottingham is absolutely stunning did you commute to Nottingham uni for any reasons whilst you were studying your course and how did you find it?
    and yeah, I've heard too much information about how **** Lonsdale hall is
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Just to let you know there is a free campus bus that goes to the hospital. Not sure when it starts running though

ReputationRep:
    No worries😊

So I’ve only actually been here just over a month now so it’s all still quite new to me too!
    In regards to commuting again, our timetable is Monday-Friday 9:30-4:30 so I think that’s the reason people were moving here save commuting. If you are only in lectures a few days a week you may prefer to commute? The nightlife is obviously less impressive than Nottingham, but that’s only because it’s a smaller place....and this doesn’t mean nights out here are less fun! Me and my friends always have a great time😊I’ve also just got a part-time job, which is also a nice way to make friends etc. There are two 24/7 gyms in the centre I think it’s anytime fitness and pure gym? The only thing living in derby, is that we don’t get free bus travel with our student cards (like we would in Nottingham), but I’ve heard people are trying their luck and quickly flashing the card as they get on, and the bus driver doesn’t notice👍🏼😂 So I’ve not actually needed to commute to Nottingham uni at all yet. The Royal Derby Hospital has a library, which is used by students and staff, and it’s really good. They also have two computer rooms we can use, with printers etc. They have their own student services. And many of the facilities available at Nottingham uni (e.g welfare support / support funding etc), are still available to us if we live in Derby as there are certain days of the week they come to work from Royal Derby. Hope this helps more!xx

ReputationRep:
    The hopper bus runs every 2 hours throughout the day😊 if you just google “Nottingham uni hopper bus” it’ll tell you all 👍🏼

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 4, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.