FXLander
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have been trying to solve this problem:

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/m...5-ebf80dc47798

However I am not sure how to use the information they have given me... Can I combine the batteries? I am not sure how to start...

Can anyone give me a hint?
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't do this question or the other level 4 one either XD.
FXLander
Rep:
?
(Original post by black1blade)
Yeah same. I always have difficulties with potential divider/two batteries problems...What are your ideas so far?
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FXLander)
Yeah same. I always have difficulties with potential divider/two batteries problems...What are your ideas so far?
No idea, I normally watch the video and solve the equations but that isn't an option here. Issac physics has made me realize how bad at circuits I am XD.
FXLander
Rep:
?
No idea, I normally watch the video and solve the equations but that isn't an option here. Issac physics has made me realize how bad at circuits I am XD.
Yeah I have a really bad understanding of circuits
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I have a really bad understanding of circuits
Yeah I can do the normal problems in the AS exams but not these harder questions.
ibhelper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

However I am not sure how to use the information they have given me... Can I combine the batteries? I am not sure how to start...

hi. use the formula of resistivity to get the resistance at which R could be in both cases. clue: resistivity is not resistance.
FXLander
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibhelper)
hi. use the formula of resistivity to get the resistance at which R could be in both cases. clue: resistivity is not resistance.
If I work out  R_1 = \frac{\rho \cdot (400 \times 10^{-3})}{A} for example which resistance does that represent? Is that the unknown R?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

At position B, the ammeter reads zero which means no current flows through it. i.e. the potential difference across the ammeter must also be zero.

The only way this can happen is when the resistance ratios of the two potential dividers (100 and unknown resistor is one divider, the other is the linear potentiometer) are in exactly the same ratios.

This means the 400mm length of potentiometer track resistance equates to the 100 ohms reference resistor.

588/400 = (100 + x)/100

x = ?

Spoiler:
Show

47.0 ohms
FXLander
Rep:
?
(Original post by uberteknik)
At position B, the ammeter reads zero which means no current flows through it. i.e. the potential difference across the ammeter must also be zero.

The only way this can happen is when the resistance ratios of the two potential dividers (100 and unknown resistor is one divider, the other is the linear potentiometer) are in exactly the same ratios.

This means the 400mm length of potentiometer track resistance equates to the 100 ohms reference resistor.

588/400 = (100 + x)/100

x = ?

Spoiler:
Show

47.0 ohms

I would like some clarification on a couple of things:

1. Ratio of lengths = Ratio of Resistances. Is this always true?
2. "The only way this can happen is when the resistance ratios of the two potential dividers (100 and unknown resistor is one divider, the other is the linear potentiometer) are in exactly the same ratios." How does one know this?(I think if they weren't equal then there would be a p.d. between the any the the potential dividers and the resistors so there would be a current flowing through the ammeter, which can't be true, however I am not sure whether this explanation is valid.)
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would like some clarification on a couple of things:

1. Ratio of lengths = Ratio of Resistances. Is this always true?
As long as the resistivity and cross sectional area of the resistive material is constant throughout the length of the potentiometer, then yes, the ratio of the lengths will be equal to the ratio of resistances.

2. "The only way this can happen is when the resistance ratios of the two potential dividers (100 and unknown resistor is one divider, the other is the linear potentiometer) are in exactly the same ratios." How does one know this?(I think if they weren't equal then there would be a p.d. between the any the the potential dividers and the resistors so there would be a current flowing through the ammeter, which can't be true, however I am not sure whether this explanation is valid.)
You are correct.

For the experiment to work, the potentiometer power supply, must produce a voltage equal to or greater than that of the supply voltage across the series combination of the reference resistor and the unknown resistor.

The actual resistance or resistivity of the potentiometer does not matter (provided it complies with my answer above). It's the ratio of the two lengths (and thus the ratio of resistances set up with the potentiometer) where the ammeter reading is zero that matters.

The potentiometer wiper arm can now be varied such that the p.d. picked off the potentiometer, will match exactly the p.d.'s at the test positions B and C. i.e. no p.d. is developed across the ammeter because the p.d's picked off on either side are exactly the same.

Under these conditions, the ratio of resistances either side of the ammeter must be the same. And if the resistivity of the potentiometer is constant, then the lengths measured must also be in the same ratio as the resistances under test.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.76%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.82%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (493)
48.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed