BehindTheScreen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Easiest computer language to learn as a first time learner?
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Programming language? Python

Computer Language? Binary
CodeJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally C#, shares similar syntax to many other languages, unlike python which is fairly unique.

It also handles it's own memory management and you don't have to deal with header files, meaning classes are much easier to learn for a beginner.
Revolver72
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Visual Basic is what we learned at school, although I'm not sure how widely used it is any more.

Java or C# aren't too difficult for beginners. I mean, while this isn't strictly true, programming for the most part tends to be as complicated as the program you're writing. Find a language that you like, and start with "Hello World" and work up from that.

Incidentally, a really good way to work through programming solutions at beginner level is by constructing pseudocode in parallel with a program, so that your implementation is thought out logically and independently. This allows for separatation between the logic of the algorithm and the syntax of the language you're learning. The latter can be implemented after you're clear of the logic. :-)
Feravel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the easiest """language""" you could learn first is pseudocode. After you can manage to do fun things with it, learning any programming language is not complex to understand. I think C++ is an easy one to start with, maybe Visual Basic too if you're interested in objects¿?, or java
If C++ is too easy for you, try C or C#
If you want a low-level language you could get a gun, point it to your head and start reading assembler manuals

Greetings
EpicMan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Feravel)
I think the easiest """language""" you could learn first is pseudocode. After you can manage to do fun things with it, learning any programming language is not complex to understand. I think C++ is an easy one to start with, maybe Visual Basic too if you're interested in objects¿?, or java
If C++ is too easy for you, try C or C#
If you want a low-level language you could get a gun, point it to your head and start reading assembler manuals

Greetings
Lmfao a bit of an over reaction. Start with LMC see where that takes you.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you want to actually learn, painfully, how the languages work properly then C. If you want to actually make something useful and not want to die the entire time, Python.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BehindTheScreen)
Easiest computer language to learn as a first time learner?
If you've kept reading this I'm guessing you're more confused than when you started. Everyone disagrees about where to start. Don't spend so much time deciding what language to learn that you don't learn any. In all honesty, the language you learn doesn't really matter.

Ultimately a programming language is just our way of talking to the computer, who understand only binary (0 and 1, on and off) which is very different to our own. Computer languages work on a gradient from low-level (most similar to how computers understand things) to high-level (closer to human understanding). High-level languages are easier to start with, but you don't learn as much because lots of the mechanics are hidden. They also (imo) become more difficult to use as you get better because the more you start to understand how computer logic works programming in that way becomes infinitely easier.

With that in mind, an example of an extremely low language would be assembly. Don't do that, nobody with any sense learns that. C is the next level up, but that's a language for when you understand the thought process behind programming. C++ is c but with modern elements. Very useful, but it also has lots to confuse a new programmer so I would stay clear.

Out of the major ones that I can think of that leaves Java, c# and Python. For a beginner, Java and c# may as well be the same language and Python is the highest-level I've mentioned here. If I was starting again I would start with Java. It's not the easiest, but it's one of the most useful, has eclipse (one of my favourite IDEs) and it teaches a lot of key concepts. Then, whenever I was feeling like Java was getting too hard I would go do some python to reinforce what I had already learnt and give myself a reminder that I was learning it. Programming is hard and it's hardest when you feel like you're just not making progress.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (112)
27.79%
England (140)
34.74%
Belgium (30)
7.44%
Germany (41)
10.17%
Spain (9)
2.23%