This discussion is closed.
shropshirelass51
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Could you please advise. If at the end of a degree a module is failed and the Uni says that it needs to be resat and the course taken again in order to graduate with an honours degree, is it possible to get student finance to cover the fees and any living costs. It is only one module that needs to be resat.
Many thanks for any help.
Miriam SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi shropshirelass51

If this your first resit every student is given four years of study and this is a including a repeat year, as long as you don't have any previous study then you can reapply for your repeat year and will be awarded full funds.

Thanks Miriam
shropshirelass51
Rep:
?
(Original post by Miriam SFE)
Hi shropshirelass51

If this your first resit every student is given four years of study and this is a including a repeat year, as long as you don't have any previous study then you can reapply for your repeat year and will be awarded full funds.

Thanks Miriam
Hi Miriam,
Many thanks. I am asking on behalf of my son and he stay at home as his Uni is 100 miles away. It is only one module that needs to be resat though, this is what it said

"You have insufficient credit to be awarded an honours degree.
You can choose to retake your failed module(s) to complete your honours degree.

As you will be studying 89 credits or less you will be classed as studying on a part-time mode of attendance and will be charged the pro-rata part-time tuition fee; this is estimated to be £1500. Your fee will be confirmed when you re-enrol.

It says that it is compulsory to attend the lessons.

Would your advice still apply?

Thank you so much
Miriam SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi shropshirelass51

If the university are going to be requesting fees of £1500 he can still apply for this amount if the university are requesting for it .

Thanks Miriam
shropshirelass51
Rep:
?
Hi shropshirelass51

If the university are going to be requesting fees of £1500 he can still apply for this amount if the university are requesting for it .

Thanks Miriam
Thank you. Can he still get a maintenance loan as he has to pay rent and post for living costs and still has to attend Uni as they say attendance is compulsory. He has only had three years of student finance.
Miriam SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi shropshirelass51

If he is still applying as a full time student and it's his first repeat he will get full support.

However if he has to apply as a part time student he would only be eligible for the tuition fee loan only.

Thanks Miriam
shropshirelass51
Rep:
?
Hi shropshirelass51

If he is still applying as a full time student and it's his first repeat he will get full support.

However if he has to apply as a part time student he would only be eligible for the tuition fee loan only.

Thanks Miriam
Thank you, so I'm guessing it just depends what status the University puts on the form to student finance? He's receiving mixed messages about this
Miriam SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Shropshirelass51

If the university are still classing it as a full time course on a part time basis then he just makes a returning students application as normal which means he will receive his full support then the university would just send a electronic COC confirming the hours he will studying for.

Thanks Miriam
shropshirelass51
Rep:
?
Thank you, you have been really helpful
shropshirelass51
Rep:
?
Hi shropshirelass51

Thanks Miriam
HI Miriam
Following on from our conversation my son has just received an email which states "You will be classed as a part time student studying 20 credits on a full time course. You will be on the full time version of the course"

Does this mean he will be eligible for student finance for maintenance loan or not?

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it
Miriam SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi shropshirelass51

Yes he would still get the full time support as the course is a full time course but just studying on a part time basis.

Thanks Miriam
amandalove
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello. Any updates? Did your son get the grant? I am in the exact same position right now and very confused
SFE Tegan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by amandalove)
Hello. Any updates? Did your son get the grant? I am in the exact same position right now and very confused
Hi Amanda,

Have you been asked by your university to complete a module or a year? Is this your first course at higher education level and have you repeated any other years?

Thanks, Tégan
shropshirelass51
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi shropshirelass51

Yes he would still get the full time support as the course is a full time course but just studying on a part time basis.

Thanks Miriam
Hi,
My son did get a whole extra year of student finance and his fees paid which wre only £1500 as he only had to redo one module. He had to retake the module to complete his honours. Previously, he had only had funding for three years so the extra module and years funding counted as his gift year, if I understand it right. He now has a good job so resitting paid off for him.
Good luck Miriam
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by amandalove)
Hello Amanda,

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 additional year, minus any previous study, for e.g. 3+1-1= 3 years remaining entitlement.
New Course + Additional Year (awarded for possible repeats or transfers) – Previous Study= Entitlement

If you’ve not used your additional year, you should be fine for support.

Thanks, Lynsey.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (129)
18.19%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.22%
Not great so far... (253)
35.68%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise