The Student Room Group

Do cambridge reallllyy need to look at your AS Level UMS?

I'm doing my as levels this year and they are all reformed. My goal is cambridge, but if I get AABB, is it really fair that they use my AS levels to decide to get in the school when other schools are allowed to do three AS levels (our school forces us to do 4). Can't I just not tell them that I did AS levels that year, and say I am sitting all my exams next year. Also, how many universities actually look at your UMS scores?

Scroll to see replies

moving to uni applications where you are more likely to get a response. :smile:
Original post by cubecon
I'm doing my as levels this year and they are all reformed. My goal is cambridge, but if I get AABB, is it really fair that they use my AS levels to decide to get in the school when other schools are allowed to do three AS levels (our school forces us to do 4). Can't I just not tell them that I did AS levels that year, and say I am sitting all my exams next year. Also, how many universities actually look at your UMS scores?

If it's Unreformed AS's, declare the UMS,but I don't think they want the new AS marks, but I'll tag an AT into this. @Murray Edwards Admissions see above.
How is it not fair to compare students on how they most recently performed?
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
If it's Unreformed AS's, declare the UMS,but I don't think they want the new AS marks, but I'll tag an AT into this. @Murray Edwards Admissions see above.

Grades have to be declared at UCAS. We probably won't ask for raw marks (a few colleges have, most don't though you're welcome to send them to us).
Reply 5
If it is the AS grades you are looking for, do I have to get AAAA to get in?
Reply 6
Original post by cubecon
If it is the AS grades you are looking for, do I have to get AAAA to get in?
That will depend on the subject, which you haven't mentioned.

It will be a combination of your AS grades and your predicted grades together with your personal statement which will give the College sufficient information to decide if you merit an interview. If you then get an offer you will have to achieve the grades in that offer to be accepted into Cambridge.
Reply 7
Original post by nutz99
That will depend on the subject, which you haven't mentioned.

It will be a combination of your AS grades and your predicted grades together with your personal statement which will give the College sufficient information to decide if you merit an interview. If you then get an offer you will have to achieve the grades in that offer to be accepted into Cambridge.

My subjects are: Politics, Physics, Psychology, Maths

I am applying to do engineering

Do I definitely need to get all A's in all of these exams, plus get predicted A*A*A to 'merit' an interview. Say for instance I got BBBC but my school decided to predict me A*A*A would I still get a chance for an interview
Reply 8
Original post by cubecon

Do I definitely need to get all A's in all of these exams, plus get predicted A*A*A to 'merit' an interview. Say for instance I got BBBC but my school decided to predict me A*A*A would I still get a chance for an interview

If you're already getting Bs on the easier exams, it's unlikely that you'll suddenly be jumping 2 grades to A*. The school can predict them, but when you compare the grades, sounds unlikely.
Original post by cubecon

Then you have a bigger problem than your AS results. Most of your competitors will show more focus and be far better prepared for a Cambridge engineering degree, having studied more maths and probably chemistry. You will need to demonstrate exceptional results and massive motivation, and your enthusiasm for the subject appears, from your A-levels, to be somewhat half-hearted.
Reply 10
Original post by cubecon

Are you applying this cycle or next?

You will need to be *realistically* on target to meet the offer to be likely to get an interview. "Realistically" can mean having AS grades that support the necessary predictions. The predictions would really need to be A*A* in Maths & Physics plus another A.

Most applicants also have Further Maths. Is there a reason why you don't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cubecon

Realistically you're not going to get into Cambridge for engineering without further maths. In general: 'Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics and Physics Required by some Colleges: AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics, A Level/IB Higher Level in a third mathematics/ science/technology subject, STEP Mathematics Further Mathematics is strongly encouraged (required by some Colleges)'

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering

For Trinity and a lot of other colleges as stated above: 'applicants are expected to take Maths, Further Maths and Physics'

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

If Cambridge 'strongly encourages' a subject and a lot of colleges make it compulsory, you're really not going to get in without it. You're going to be up against hundreds of people who have further maths in this country, as well as hundreds of international students.
(edited 6 years ago)
I remember when I applied an admissions tutor at an event said "if you're teacher has recommended you don't do further maths because you might not get a good grade in it then this course probably isn't for you".
Reply 13
I am not doing further maths, but I am taking the STEP Mathematics exam which I hope will support my application. The reason why I am not doing further maths is not because I think I will get a bad grade in it, but my school forces all of the students to do a level maths all in one year and further maths in the mext. Say for instance I get an A in maths this year, instead of the A* to meet my offer, I would probably get a B in further maths next year which will evidently cause me to miss the entry requirement of A*A*A
Original post by cubecon
I am not doing further maths, but I am taking the STEP Mathematics exam which I hope will support my application. The reason why I am not doing further maths is not because I think I will get a bad grade in it, but my school forces all of the students to do a level maths all in one year and further maths in the mext. Say for instance I get an A in maths this year, instead of the A* to meet my offer, I would probably get a B in further maths next year which will evidently cause me to miss the entry requirement of A*A*A

If you're a Cambridge standard engineer you'll have no problem getting an A* in A-Level maths in one year. Many schools run their further maths course this way. Forget STEP and do further maths - especially as your school offers it
maths, physics and then 3rd subject...

Reply 16
Original post by cubecon
The reason why I am not doing further maths is not because I think I will get a bad grade in it

I would probably get a B in further maths next year

Uh... sounds like the reason you are not doing Further Maths is because you think you'll get a bad (relatively speaking) grade from it.

On another note, it is laughable that you think you'll be able to do STEP if you aren't even confident of smashing Further Maths A-Level in your sleep.
Reply 17
Original post by Glassapple
Realistically you're not going to get into Cambridge for engineering without further maths. In general: 'Required by all Colleges: A Level/IB Higher Level Mathematics and Physics Required by some Colleges: AS or A Level/IB Higher Level Further Mathematics, A Level/IB Higher Level in a third mathematics/ science/technology subject, STEP Mathematics Further Mathematics is strongly encouraged (required by some Colleges)'

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/engineering

For Trinity and a lot of other colleges as stated above: 'applicants are expected to take Maths, Further Maths and Physics'

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/a-level-subject-combinations/

If Cambridge 'strongly encourages' a subject and a lot of colleges make it compulsory, you're really not going to get in without it. You're going to be up against hundreds of people who have further maths in this country, as well as hundreds of international students.

Approx a third of Engineering students at Cambridge don't have FM A-level.

https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements

"https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/table1 Table 1 might seem to indicate that if you are not doing Further Maths there are very few Colleges that might admit you. This is far from the truth. In practice, about a third of the students admitted to study Engineering at Cambridge have not done Further Maths A Level. What Colleges are looking for is high ability in mathematics."

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by cubecon

That's frankly poor thinking. If you do STEP I in Y12 you will need to get a 1 or S for it to impress Cambridge, and the effort of doing that would be better served by taking FM Instead.

If you get a 2 or worse it may disadvantage you.

If you are worried by FM to the extent you appear to be, I'd be very worried you will do poorly at STEP, and indeed Engineering at Cambridge is probably not the right course for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
No it is not necessarily about the grade I will get i further maths. I regret not taking further maths now, and it is desirably too late to change my option. It's just the fact that taking on 4 AS levels plus an additional Maths entire A Level could cause me to miss my offer for the university. I do have a very strong mathematical ability, I have been getting very high marks so far on the Maths Tests at school, however taking Maths, Further Maths, Politics, Psychology and Physics is all too much for one student in one year. Plus I am doing this Economics course outside of school, and practicing for my Grade 7 in piano (and I have a life and friends). If there are any other suggestions other than doing further maths because i'd really much rather forget STEP and do additional standalone units such as FP1 and M3 this year alone rather than taking the whole maths course this year.

If it is then not possible to do engineering if I am not doing further maths, firstly will universities like imperial take me on? And if even that's not possible what are my chances of doing physical Natural Sciences at Cambridge. I wouldn't mind doing that instead really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending