Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have been expelled from University, what are my options now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The story is a bit complicated, and it's going to be a bit lengthy, also I can't really say I was not entirely free of fault. But believe what you will, I felt that it was unwarranted and extremely harsh. And I will explain the story...since I feel like I've got nothing more to lose.

I was expelled on the grounds of academic misconduct, on the basis that it was my second case of collusion.

To make matters worst, I am an International student, from one of the "low-risk nations" (just to give some additional details) and was told that I do not meet the UKVI progression requirements after this expulsion, and so far can't see any way to be able to study in the UK again, aside for a post-graduate degree.

I was a Computer Science student studying at a Uni in London. Let's just say it's a Uni in central London that is notorious for poor student satisfaction.

For my first case, a dumbass, now former friend of mine, stupidly submitted my work in its entirety and only changed the author name of the code from mine to his. In the expedited procedure, I stupidly decided to defend my friend and just admitted fully to collusion, mostly because I was just flabbergasted at how one could be such a prepretual **** up (fyi, he was refused entry to the UK the first time he came because he thought his CAS was his Tier 4 Visa, because it had the word "visa" written on it). Because I assumed that was the right thing to do for a friend, and the punishment wasn't too harsh. We only had our grades struck for it (10% of the module). I know it was very stupid, but understand that I suffer from social anxiety, and he was essentially my only friend at Uni and I didn't want to lose my only friend.

We were working together to finish the work, so I assumed he took the files off my laptop when I went to the toilet. There aren't many other ways he could have done it I think, the code was 100% identical, even the results of the algorithms were displayed in the exact same order.

Fast forward to my 2nd case, this was in the 2nd year of Uni. We were working together again, but I tried to be extremely careful this time and didn't do any actual coding whilst we worked together. However, we both struggled on one of the harder tasks and I asked one of my course mates for help.

They were in a hurry to leave so they gave me an early draft of their work, which at the time I thought was some example they took off the internet that was similar to what the assignment question was asking for. Found out that it was an early draft of my coursemate's work when I saw the evidence provided for my hearing, and the fact that all 3 of us were called for a misconduct hearing. Also found out that idiot friend of mine submitted the example that was given to me by my coursemate, which I now regret so much, having had shared it with him, which was the main reason for the 2nd case against the 3 of us. The similarity between all 3 of our final work was in the low 60's in percentages, which is reasonable, albiet at the upper bounds, given that it was a coding assignment that had questions that had asked for specific answers, so obviously there is bound to be a lot of similairities as there are only so many different ways to answer the same questions. The biggest problem being, came from the fact that my idiot former friend submitted that example/draft given to me, and it resulted in a 96% similarity, which lead to an investigation of our work.

Trying to sum this up. During the hearing, I stupidly still tried to defend both my course mate and my "friend". I did not mention that the example was willingly given to me by my course mate so that they could get away with no penalities, sort of as a way for making it up to them for getting them into trouble. And with my friend, I just did not mention us having seen each other's work.

However, I botched up the hearing, my anxiety got the better of me. Basically I answered a lot of questions very poorly, which also made them misintepret what a lot of what I had to say. And to make matters worst, the hearing was adjourned and then continued later on with new evidence having been brought up. And it was a false testimony against me, written by a friend of my course mate. The testimoney stated that I had taken a sneaky photo with my phone, essentially someone said I stole the work. Which made matters a lot worst for me. I was so nervous I tried to mention the most obvious llogical fallacy, which was that they mentioned they heard a camera shutter sound coming from my phone. Which I refuted saying, my phone is always on silent so they couldn't have heard it, if I truly did intend on taking a sneaky photo like that the shutter noise wouldn't have been heard either way. Which the comittee somehow misintepreted into something completely different.

Who would do that at University? It was only worth 5% of the module. It was not worth getting expelled for, and I knew full well that a 2nd case of academic misconduct would very likely lead to an expulsion.

I tried going through the Uni's appeal process, with the help of a lawyer. The student advisor that was assigned to me was extremely apathethic to my case, and even went on holiday a day after I had a meeting with them, up until a day before my hearing, and there were apparently no other advisors available.

The appeal was was unsucessful. The case handler dodged a lot of points in my appeal proposal, and made literally everything I said in the hearing into something negative, or potrayed it as such. They did offer me a refund for 1 semester (when it should have been for the whole year, since the case was for a week 2 coursework in semester 1), and delayed the hearing until I had completed my 2nd year finals. They said I could make a complaint to the OIA, but my lawyer advised against it as it would take a minimum (if I was lucky) of 6 months, and the fees for the lawyer would also be a lot. Plus, the OIA would look at things procedurally, which made the chances of sucess very low.

Spent the last few months going through depression, and mood swings. Tried applying to other Uni's in the UK, but a lot of them declined my application almost instantly, apparently it was not because of my expulsion as I had explained the situation to them, but mostly because of the UKVI progression requirements not being met.

I really don't know what else I can do. I have been in the UK for almost 6 years. All that time, money and effort all wasted, all because I didn't want to lose a bad friend, and putting the interst of others over my own, as I thought I was being a good person. Now I can't even start over.

What's worst, is that before I cut ties with my "friend". He had been contacting some Chinese student agencies and had apparently secured a place at some very low-tier university to start over. I don't know how he was able to do this, as he wouldn't have met the UKVI progression requirements. And a friend of his recently informed me that he is able to return to study.

Every other options that I am aware of, that are available to me now would involve me doing my bachleors in some other country and coming back to do my Masters. My home country isn't really the best option as the education system is notorious for being sub-par, and literally everyone that can afford to study overseas does so.

If there is any way I could continue my studies in the UK please let me know, minus contacting a Chinese student agent, I am guessing they got him into some dodgy university. But if there is no other way but the one I just mentioned, at least I was able to vent.

ReputationRep:
    So you were accused of cheating twice. If my Uni caught you cheating once it would be expulsion. We don't need your kind ruining our Universities reputations
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    How old are you and what is your home country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)
    So you were accused of cheating twice. If my Uni caught you cheating once it would be expulsion. We don't need your kind ruining our Universities reputations
    Everyone makes mistakes in life, I'm sure they've learnt their lesson and won't do it again there's no need to come across as harsh to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanaisax)
    Everyone makes mistakes in life, I'm sure they've learnt their lesson and won't do it again there's no need to come across as harsh to them.
    Once is a mistake twice is deliberate

ReputationRep:
    I fail to see the difference between an early draft of your course mates work and something they would have got from the internet? It is plagiarism if you copied either of those.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but two offences are two too many.

ReputationRep:
    The reputation of "your" universities is s*it anyways!:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michel Obrien)
    The reputation of "your" universities is s*it anyways!
    Really we have the top 2 universities in the world

ReputationRep:
    Really we have the top 2 universities in the world
    Both Oxford and Cambridge are over rated by a mile!:huff:

ReputationRep:
    I know I wrote a lot, but it seems you only read the first paragraph. The universities that I applied to understood the situation and were willing to accept me, but had to decline because of the UKVI progression requirements.

The first time was not my fault at all. My friend took my work and submitted it but I thought it was the right thing to do as a friend to defend him. So in the expedited procedure, I decided to just admit to collusion and we were given a "slap on the wrist" by having our grades for that coursework deducted. He told me he thought that because SQL code was very straight forward and that there was only one way to do each specific commands, he assumed he could submit it identically and just annotate it (which was allowed in our Java code, during first year, provided we properly explain to the TAs that we understood what the code does).

The 2nd time was partially my fault. Like I said, it was a coding coursework. My course mate gave me, which what I thought at the time was an example piece of code to help me complete my work. I had assumed it was some example off the internet. I can see that there was a misunderstanding. We are allowed to use code we find off the internet to be used in our work. One part of programming is not to re-invent the wheel. If there is a similar example already available we are allowed to use it. Mind you, both cases were considered minor cases of collusion. And in coding, especially the tasks we did. There were only so many ways you could have answered the same questions. For example like in maths, a + b = c, you could do it like b+a = c, or c-a = b...etc... but of course way more complex that this oversimplification I just gave.

My friend at ICL told his supervisor about my case and she told him that for my case it would have been very unlikely for me to be expelled, and only my grades should have been deducted. Even with the false accusation of stealing the work, they should have only deducted the grades or failed the module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMD100)
    I fail to see the difference between an early draft of your course mates work and something they would have got from the internet? It is plagiarism if you copied either of those.
    It's programming. It's common practice to take code off the internet. We are also allowed to do so....it was even encouraged in a way. One of my former lecturers would say, "there isn't any point re-inventing the wheel, someone has already gone and done it, and probably has spent a lot of time refining it, to what it is today. It is better to use what is already available and maybe make improvements or use it to your benefit."

ReputationRep:
    Why would you ruin your chance of getting a degree?

Why did you defend your "friend" who stole your work?

NEVER share your personal work to anyone, unless it's group work and everyone has to parcticipate. Don't copy either. If you're going to use something, reference always.

ReputationRep:
    Why in your right mind would you do the same thing twice? You were already walking on thin ice and you still did it again. I suggest you take some time off, get a job, live some life away from university and then if you still wish to pursue studying, try again later.

ReputationRep:
    You've got to accept that what you've done twice is wrong and these are the consequences.

Your 'friend' being a massive snake doesn't help either. To learn from this don't be pushed about in fear by others as if they are treating you in such a way you are better off without them. And don't copy/share work!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Why in your right mind would you do the same thing twice? You were already walking on thin ice and you still did it again. I suggest you take some time off, get a job, live some life away from university and then if you still wish to pursue studying, try again later.
    Don't have to remind me.... there were many reasons. The dumbest of which was that I didn't want to lose, literally my only friend in the UK I had at the time.

The first time I thought I was being a good friend. The 2nd time I trying to be cautious, didn't let him see what I actually coded, but we did discuss solutions and the theory. Didn't realise he would submit the example as his own work. Not to mention that false testimony against me that said I had taken a sneaky picture.

With regards to working together, It was encouraged by the lecturers to work with our course mates to complete tasks, in the manner I had mentioned since coding in the industry is mostly going to be collaborative work. And programming is all about problem-solving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleA94)
    Don't have to remind me.... there were many reasons. The dumbest of which was that I didn't want to lose, literally my only friend in the UK I had at the time.

The first time I thought I was being a good friend. The 2nd time I trying to be cautious, didn't let him see what I actually coded, but we did discuss solutions and the theory. Didn't realise he would submit the example as his own work. Not to mention that false testimony against me that said I had taken a sneaky picture.

With regards to working together, It was encouraged by the lecturers to work with our course mates to complete tasks, in the manner I had mentioned since coding in the industry is mostly going to be collaborative work. And programming is all about problem-solving.
    You messed up and it seems like this chapter of your life is over. Move on.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    The first thing is focus! Stop wittering on about perceived past injustices and focus on the future. You can't get a visa to remain in the UK, don't mess about and also screw over your future chances of getting in by doing anything dodgy. if you've got the money to study overseas, then go to another English speaking country Canada, Australia or similar and consider a degree there. And this time, understand what plagiarism is!

ReputationRep:

Being a "good friend" won't secure you a degree or good job in the future.

Do you really think your friend was being a "good" one, by stealing your work?

ReputationRep:
    was taken back how well the original post was written despite being quite lethargic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.