chocolateworm34
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,

I have just started the second year of my BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Computing, this is the new 2016 course, hence I am now looking into what I will be doing afterwards whether it be uni, an apprenticeship or work. I know DMM is what most unis wanted, but I plan to get much higher, e.g. DDD.

IT/Computing was very much a last minute choice for study after school, and I am unsure of what pathway to go down. I retook my Maths GCSE this summer just passed and scraped a C at the Foundation level, so I don't want to do a Computing degree which is heavily mathematical and will require A level qualifications or equivalent in the subject.

From what I have seen on this forum already, students have suggested that you look into IT degrees rather than CS because they have a lot of math.

What I need really is some suggestions of degrees that I could take which I would enjoy and wouldn't be heavily mathematical in this subject. There are degree apprenticeships, but there are not many of them around, and I don't think they take many on.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You could do:
IT Management for Business (ITMB)
IT in Organisations
Information Systems
Information Technology
BIT / BIS
Management with Computing / Comp Sci
Ecommerce
Forensic Computing

If you want to avoid maths stay away from: Computer Science, Information Security, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science & Analytics etc.

However, you could do a BSc Computing degree, its probably slightly better than IT however doesn't have the high maths content like Computer Science but general Computing degrees aren't offered at many good universities with the exception of Imperial College who offer Computing as a BEng but this is an exception and is just the same as Computer Science.

In terms of degree apprenticeships, there are lots around currently and most are offering a BSc in Digital Technology Solutions and around 15-20k salary, companies that offer this include: Goldman Sachs, Capgemini, Lloyds bank, CGI, Ford, John Lewis (used to) and I'm sure you'll find loads more, also recently I've been seeing government apprenticeships in Cyber Security which look really good, have a quick search on Indeed job search I'm sure you'll come across loads.

Hope this helps
chocolateworm34
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there

I must apologise for my late reply. Thanks for the information. Is computer networks very similar with the maths than the ones you mentioned? Is it quite practical? I quite like the idea of networking.

My lecturer talked about looking at teaching rather than research unis. Do you know of any which are teaching?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (187)
33.33%
Receiving them online / by email (281)
50.09%
I still don't know (93)
16.58%

Watched Threads