Which would be the better A-Level to take:History or Computer science? Watch

LightYearsAway
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am torn between whether I should take Computer Science or History as an AS Level alongside my other choices of Maths, Physics and the joint Engish Land and Lit A Level. My problem is I love history and it was my favourite lesson at school, but computer science offers me the opportunity to leaner a potential very useful skill that could get me more job opportunities than being good at history
. I have already started computer science and I do find it interesting, but my mind keeps wandering back to history! What do you guys honestly think I should do? Thank you so much for reading this and have an awesome life! Please leave a reply if it's not too much trouble!
BehindTheScreen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I love working with computers, and as you stated CS provides you with much more opportunities, and a lot of new skills. It is also different because there not much writing involved so I think you should go along with CS.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LightYearsAway)
I am torn between whether I should take Computer Science or History as an AS Level alongside my other choices of Maths, Physics and the joint Engish Land and Lit A Level. My problem is I love history and it was my favourite lesson at school, but computer science offers me the opportunity to leaner a potential very useful skill that could get me more job opportunities than being good at historyrogramming. I have already started computer science and I do find it interesting, but my mind keeps wandering back to history! What do you guys honestly think I should do? Thank you so much for reading this and have an awesome life! Please leave a reply if it's not too much trouble!
You only need 3 A-levels...

Also, you don't need CompSci at A-level to even do CompSci at degree level.

Choose the subjects you enjoy the most and will do best at.
LightYearsAway
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You only need 3 A-levels...

Also, you don't need CompSci at A-level to even do CompSci at degree level.

Choose the subjects you enjoy the most and will do best at.
Thank you so much for the reply! What A-Levels would you need to do computer science at degree level? I thought compute science would be a wise choice as you many new jobs involve around coding, but I guess if I don't go with my passion I'll be upset!
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much for the reply! What A-Levels would you need to do computer science at degree level? I thought compute science would be a wise choice as you many new jobs involve around coding, but I guess if I don't go with my passion I'll be upset!
Maths and Physics are good. It's mostly maths... yes there is coding but it's taught in the degree.
LightYearsAway
Rep:
?
(Original post by BehindTheScreen)
I love working with computers, and as you stated CS provides you with much more opportunities, and a lot of new skills. It is also different because there not much writing involved so I think you should go along with CS.

Hello there! As you seem to be very experienced with computers, what do you like most about working with them and what opportunities would taking computer science provide exactly? Thank you so much for the reply as getting advice from actually students on what A-Levels to take is really helpful!, not just to me but anyone else reconsidering their choices!
LightYearsAway
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Maths and Physics are good. It's mostly maths... yes there is coding but it's taught in the degree.
Hello again! Do you need at least three science A-Levels to get onto most science university courses or only too? Thank you for the replies as they're really informative!
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello again! Do you need at least three science A-Levels to get onto most science university courses or only too? Thank you for the replies as they're really informative!
Depends on the course and the university, but usually 2 is enough.

For example, Maths, Physics and History would be fine for CompSci at Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BehindTheScreen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Hello there! As you seem to be very experienced with computers, what do you like most about working with them and what opportunities would taking computer science provide exactly? Thank you so much for the reply as getting advice from actually students on what A-Levels to take is really helpful!, not just to me but anyone else reconsidering their choices!
I like working with computers because its fun, I'm a fast typer and writing in books has never been my thing so maybe theres that?. You can do so much with computers you can learn to develop apps, websites and software. Doing CS will open up careers like Computer system engineer, Network systems administrator, database administrator, web developer, software developer, game developer. In A Levels CS you will learn fundamentals of programming, data structure, problem solving, data representation, computer systems and so on.
SoggyPuss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Take what you're interested in. I took history, computer science, and maths. The reason I took history was because I liked it and wanted to include an essay subject.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
I am torn between whether I should take Computer Science or History as an AS Level alongside my other choices of Maths, Physics and the joint Engish Land and Lit A Level. My problem is I love history and it was my favourite lesson at school, but computer science offers me the opportunity to leaner a potential very useful skill that could get me more job opportunities than being good at history
. I have already started computer science and I do find it interesting, but my mind keeps wandering back to history! What do you guys honestly think I should do? Thank you so much for reading this and have an awesome life! Please leave a reply if it's not too much trouble!
Everything Doonesbury said. Do what you are interested in and enjoy.
Two stem subjects will be enough.

Do CS if you think thats what the degree you wish to do will be and you can get a good grade. If you intend to do a degree in it then it should be near your top grade.
Do History if you will enjoy it more and will find it easier to get a good grade.
If you love it then I would have chosen it before English, but they both bring different skills to the table and complement each other.

An A in History is going to get you a lot further than a C in CS.
Hadiqa6525
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
History is quite difficult. I'd go with computer science although that's difficult too but there's a lot of content in history.
LightYearsAway
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Everything Doonesbury said. Do what you are interested in and enjoy.
Two stem subjects will be enough.

Do CS if you think thats what the degree you wish to do will be and you can get a good grade. If you intend to do a degree in it then it should be near your top grade.
Do History if you will enjoy it more and will find it easier to get a good grade.
If you love it then I would have chosen it before English, but they both bring different skills to the table and complement each other.

An A in History is going to get you a lot further than a C in CS.
Thank you so much for replying! I actually plan to take either astrophysics, theoretical/quanntum physics or english at university! I decided to take computer science as I really enjoyed working with scratch and it's a skill I've always wanted to learn! the reason I chose english before history is because I love the subject more than History s I love studying texts and writing! Still, do you think maths, physics, history and english would be a good combination of A-Levels?Thank you so much again! Have an epic life!
LightYearsAway
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hadiqa6525)
History is quite difficult. I'd go with computer science although that's difficult too but there's a lot of content in history.
Thank you for the insight! Have you taken History yourself? If so, what did you like about it and what didn't you like? Please tell me! Have a legendary life!
LightYearsAway
Rep:
?
(Original post by SoggyPuss)
Take what you're interested in. I took history, computer science, and maths. The reason I took history was because I liked it and wanted to include an essay subject.
Hi there! Could I please ask what universities and courses you're applying for with your A-levels? Have you found that taking only two Stem subjects has limited the courses you can apply for? Have a great life!
Hadiqa6525
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn't like the fact that there were too many dates to learn as part of the content. The constant pressure of memorisation makes my mind go blank during the real exam you see, and what I did like was the way it was layout, there were structures and a lot of help but I wished I picked computer science instead because there were more disadvantages and they outweighed the advantages
LightYearsAway
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hadiqa6525)
I didn't like the fact that there were too many dates to learn as part of the content. The constant pressure of memorisation makes my mind go blank during the real exam you see, and what I did like was the way it was layout, there were structures and a lot of help but I wished I picked computer science instead because there were more disadvantages and they outweighed the advantages
I'm sorry to hear that history A-Level didn't go as well for you as you hoped! I also hate when dates become important as it's less about analysing the significance of history and more about dates! Gosh dang dates! Did you feel that studying history made it ease or you to learn lessons from the past and see both sides of a balanced argument? Thank you so much for replying and I hope everything goes swimmingly in the future!
SoggyPuss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi there! Could I please ask what universities and courses you're applying for with your A-levels? Have you found that taking only two Stem subjects has limited the courses you can apply for? Have a great life!
Hey, the number one uni I'm looking at would be Nottingham on the Computer Science MSci, and Lancaster on a very similar course. I can't really say having on two STEMs has really affected me, to be honest I think having the essay subject has probably benefitted me if anything!

If you have anything else to ask me don't hesitate!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much for replying! I actually plan to take either astrophysics, theoretical/quanntum physics or english at university! I decided to take computer science as I really enjoyed working with scratch and it's a skill I've always wanted to learn! the reason I chose english before history is because I love the subject more than History s I love studying texts and writing! Still, do you think maths, physics, history and english would be a good combination of A-Levels?Thank you so much again! Have an epic life!
They are all strong academic subjects.

The way to make sure is to look at the entrance requirements for the course you are interested in at the relevant university to make sure you meet the entrance requirements. Just pick 5-10 of your favourites. I think it will be fine, but always check yourself what the uni says. That way you wont get caught out.

All the English degrees ive looked at recently just require English, but always check. Your other three as supporting subjects are excellent.

Maths and Physics I think you would be fine with but please check, just in case theres no FM requirement..
Hadiqa6525
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes in terms of structuring arguments it was quite useful but it depends on individual interests to be completely honest and thank you same to you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed