Courses to get a career in art therapy - PLEASE HELP! Watch

blinkedkiwi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,
I currently am studying four A-Levels, two of which are art and psychology. Seeing as I can't pick between the two, I thought that a career in art therapy may be good for me. The trouble is, I'm kinda confused on the route to go down. I've looked online and have seen that it says I need an art degree, and then a postgraduate degree in art therapy. My problem is, does animation and visual effects count as an art degree that will get me onto the art therapy course? Or would it have to be in fine art, or art and design. Also, could I do art therapy if I go for psychology instead? I'm kinda being pressured to pick something, and I really don't know how to kickstart this career, or if it's the career I want, mind.
Thanks xo
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by blinkedkiwi)
Hello,
I currently am studying four A-Levels, two of which are art and psychology. Seeing as I can't pick between the two, I thought that a career in art therapy may be good for me. The trouble is, I'm kinda confused on the route to go down. I've looked online and have seen that it says I need an art degree, and then a postgraduate degree in art therapy. My problem is, does animation and visual effects count as an art degree that will get me onto the art therapy course? Or would it have to be in fine art, or art and design. Also, could I do art therapy if I go for psychology instead? I'm kinda being pressured to pick something, and I really don't know how to kickstart this career, or if it's the career I want, mind.
Thanks xo
From a quick look to do an arts therapy MA, most places want an art and design degree or for example derby would accept psychology with a great portfolio of work. Do your research into all the masters before making a decision but it seems like you would need a lot of dedication to get there.
blinkedkiwi
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
From a quick look to do an arts therapy MA, most places want an art and design degree or for example derby would accept psychology with a great portfolio of work. Do your research into all the masters before making a decision but it seems like you would need a lot of dedication to get there.
Believe me, I've been constantly looking online. I wanted to know if I could take an animation and visual effects course and still get on to do the masters degree in art therapy if I still want to do it in the future... its an art degree, just not art and design. I just can't see myself doing fine art or art and design, because if everything falls through, I will have a degree I can do very little with...
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by blinkedkiwi)
Believe me, I've been constantly looking online. I wanted to know if I could take an animation and visual effects course and still get on to do the masters degree in art therapy if I still want to do it in the future... its an art degree, just not art and design. I just can't see myself doing fine art or art and design, because if everything falls through, I will have a degree I can do very little with...
Some say specifically but some says arts, no harm in emailing them to see if they would accept animation
blinkedkiwi
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Some say specifically but some says arts, no harm in emailing them to see if they would accept animation
Thanks for all your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (76)
23.68%
No (245)
76.32%

Watched Threads