The Student Room Group

How Brexit will improve secondary school education

A lot of time and money is wasted teaching European languages to secondary school children. I remember a lot of year 7 pupils felt quite miserable having to learn French or Spanish. Even more annoying if you got a debtention for not learning your French grammar! What's the point??

Whats the point when are hopeless at speaking languages and when we are no longer part of Europe then there will be no need to teach foreign languages in schools.

Pupils will either have that valuable time to learn English Maths or Science or given a free study period. Public money will go to fund more Maths and science teachers
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LOL, what is this!?

Schools should teach a MFL to students. Just because we leave the EU doesn't mean that people won't be going to Europe, the entire economies of every single ****ing foreign country disappear. We will still trade with Europe, and people will still work and go there. It is infallible at the least that leaving the EU will result in the loss of MFL from the secondary curriculum.

Nearly every European country teach English from a young age, along with their country's dialect. Will they stop because we left the EU?
This is true a lot of European language learning is a waste of time but won't really change after brexit
Original post by hoixw
LOL, what is this!?

Schools should teach a MFL to students. Just because we leave the EU doesn't mean that people won't be going to Europe, the entire economies of every single ****ing foreign country disappear. We will still trade with Europe, and people will still work and go there. It is infallible at the least that leaving the EU will result in the loss of MFL from the secondary curriculum.

Nearly every European country teach English from a young age, along with their country's dialect. Will they stop because we left the EU?

They will probably stop teaching English to their children when they realise it will be hard to visit Britain or work here, so it will benefit European kids by having more time learning other subjects. Everyone's a winner.

Edit
In China from 1949 to the 1960s they taught Russian until China and Russia fell out and the red guards banned the teaching of Russian.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ambitious1999
They will probably stop teaching English to their children when they realise it will be hard to visit Britain or work here, so it will benefit European kids by having more time learning other subjects. Everyone's a winner.

Edit
In China from 1949 to the 1960s they taught Russian until China and Russia fell out and the red guards banned the teaching of Russian.

English literally is the de facto language of Europe - see http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:Foreign_languages_learnt_per_pupil_in_upper_secondary_education_(general),_2009_and_2014_(%C2%B9)_(%25)_YB16-II.png

Nearly every student is taught English, as a foreign language. So why wouldn't we teach, say, German or French, or Spanish even?
Original post by hoixw
LOL, what is this!?

I am rolling screaming laughing reading this :bawling: and Idk why because I deffo want Brexit to happen but this was ****ing funny.
Original post by hoixw

maybe.
I had studied French for 5 years with no choice, and I said what you said. That was justified for me, Canada is a million miles away from France, and even in the French speaking part of Canada, one of the 13 provinces and territories, they speak English. You can get to France from London faster than I can get to school from my house and back. Really, you're going to complaing? When its completely optional 99% of the time anyways? The national economy almost going into a recession being justified by you not having to learn French grammer?
yeah english is the only important lang obvs you dont need anything else(!)

altho its true most kids dont even learn the languages properly
Original post by hoixw
English literally is the de facto language of Europe - see http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:Foreign_languages_learnt_per_pupil_in_upper_secondary_education_(general),_2009_and_2014_(%C2%B9)_(%25)_YB16-II.png

Nearly every student is taught English, as a foreign language. So why wouldn't we teach, say, German or French, or Spanish even?

Still a waste of money. I mean why do some schools teach Czech? They only speak Czech in Czech Republic.

Unless you can pass the strict visa requirements and work and residency requirements to live in Czech Republic or you are gonna illegally go to Iraq or Syria to join the caliphate and work alongside Czech Jihadists then there is no need at all to learn Czech.
new geography for post brexit.png

look it makes geography much easier as well. you only need to learn about one country.
new world map.gif

Cant wait to be taught with this in geography
Reply 12
there will be no need to teach foreign languages in schools.

I pity the life of anyone who learns only what they "need" to. And any school boring enough to only teach things that are considered necessary ought to be seriously looked at. A school's job is to educate humans, not churn out labour machines.
Original post by karl pilkington
This is true a lot of European language learning is a waste of time but won't really change after brexit

You are absolutely right. And whilst we are at it, history is rather pointless, as is most of maths which almost everyone forgets anyway. Science is pointless unless you are going to be a scientist and don't get me started on geography. So it is therefore reasonable to wonder what the point of school is at all?

And then you look at places in Africa and Asia where there is no education and people live in mud huts and drink water from the local stream where they also go to the toilet and suddenly the wonderful tapestry of our education system becomes sparklingly clear and relevant.
n
Original post by ByEeek
You are absolutely right. And whilst we are at it, history is rather pointless, as is most of maths which almost everyone forgets anyway. Science is pointless unless you are going to be a scientist and don't get me started on geography. So it is therefore reasonable to wonder what the point of school is at all?

And then you look at places in Africa and Asia where there is no education and people live in mud huts and drink water from the local stream where they also go to the toilet and suddenly the wonderful tapestry of our education system becomes sparklingly clear and relevant.

lol it was certainly wasted on you Africa is not poor due to lack of education lmao
A lot of time and money is wasted teaching European languages to secondary school children. I remember a lot of year 7 pupils felt quite miserable having to learn French or Spanish. Even more annoying if you got a debtention for not learning your French grammar! What's the point??

Whats the point when are hopeless at speaking languages and when we are no longer part of Europe then there will be no need to teach foreign languages in schools.

Pupils will either have that valuable time to learn English Maths or Science or given a free study period. Public money will go to fund more Maths and science teachers

I haven't read the thread but I hope this is a joke.
Leaving the EU does nothing to our education policy so it won't be getting better or worse
"Education will improve by teaching the kids less things"

makes sense
Original post by karl pilkington
n

lol it was certainly wasted on you Africa is not poor due to lack of education lmao

I see where you are going. It only takes a few corrupt leaders to ruin a country. But if the masses can not read or understand how corrupt their leaders are because of a lack of education, the corruption will continue.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
"Education will improve by teaching the kids less things"

makes sense

Why wouldn't it make sense?

If the curriculum is clogged with things that aren't productive, why wouldn't teaching less be a positive step?

Half of the arguments in education are that there's too little emphasis on core subjects - be like China. The other half of the arguments are that there's too much testing and learning - be like Scandinavia. These arguments are both in favour of a smaller curriculum.

Personally, I find the concept of compulsory MFL in schools to be a complete waste of time. If you want to learn French - go to France. People who are interested in the language and culture will learn it much faster and more effectively than people who are forced to do it.

For the longest time, English schools have taught German. Just why? French I get - it's a widely spoken language. But German has such a small scope. If the choice of Spanish, Italian or Portuguese were offered years ago, it would have been so much more useful and positive.
Original post by ByEeek
I see where you are going. It only takes a few corrupt leaders to ruin a country. But if the masses can not read or understand how corrupt their leaders are because of a lack of education, the corruption will continue.

I'm pretty sure we're in danger of going a step further than that. The Shadow Education Secretary, Angela Rayner has no educational qualifications at all. And I don't mean a degree, I believe she doesn't even have GCSEs - so clearly the ideal person to be in charge of an £80bn department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending