Having doubts about warwick, should I swap? Help, advice Watch

Garno45
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Dear all,

I firmed Warwick and am supposed to be going there in about two weeks, however now I am having doubts. I am going to study French and Theatre, and will either be the first or one of the first undergraduates to study this combination at Warwick.

In short, I considered Royal Holloway, but the French side of the course wasn’t that varied (although the drama was massively and the degree overall was structured well). So I also considered Leeds, but the theatre side of the course wasn’t structured well (like warwick, they are not that experienced with a degree like this).

Warwick seemed like a nice mix of both courses at both these places. The cultural modules look in depth and fascinating, and although there isn't much choice of practical theatre modules, the ones that were there looked fascinating. It is frustrating that I cannot devise as well as work from text in my first year, but they have a very good devising society, so I could learn devising through them until I got more choice after first year.

However, there is a problem that I did not realise existed before I firmed Warwick. There is a theatre studies module in final year, where students can either do a piece of independent practical work alone or in small groups, or do a big theatre studies written dissertation. It is an amazing final year module that everyone would want to do. The problem is that, while it is a core module for single honours students, it isn't for joint honours students, and there are a small number of staff. Therefore, there isn't always enough space for all joint honours students, and they can only do the module in 'exceptional circumstances'.

I keep telling myself that I can always do an independent performance/practical work with a society, and that I can do a dissertation with the French department anyway, but I keep worrying about this. I would swap to Royal Holloway, where this isn't a problem (there is also loads of accommodation left, and I feel that they would be better at helping me organise my year abroad as they possibly have more contacts with francophone arts organisations) but I keep finding myself hesitating.

I don't know what to do. I feel like the problem is that I have developed some trust issues with all universities after going through this. What if I swap, and Warwick has addressed the issue, and I miss out (they did say that they were looking for ways to include more joint students in the module, but I feel that this might take years)?

I realise that this is a lot of information, but would someone be able to give me some advice? Should I take a leap, and trust that Warwick may resolve the issue (they have had other joint degrees with theatre for possibly ages, but things never changed for them), or should I go with Royal Holloway, where there is more certainty?
Royal Holloway, University of London
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Garno45)
Dear all,

I firmed Warwick and am supposed to be going there in about two weeks, however now I am having doubts. I am going to study French and Theatre, and will either be the first or one of the first undergraduates to study this combination at Warwick.

In short, I considered Royal Holloway, but the French side of the course wasn’t that varied (although the drama was massively and the degree overall was structured well). So I also considered Leeds, but the theatre side of the course wasn’t structured well (like warwick, they are not that experienced with a degree like this).

Warwick seemed like a nice mix of both courses at both these places. The cultural modules look in depth and fascinating, and although there isn't much choice of practical theatre modules, the ones that were there looked fascinating. It is frustrating that I cannot devise as well as work from text in my first year, but they have a very good devising society, so I could learn devising through them until I got more choice after first year.

However, there is a problem that I did not realise existed before I firmed Warwick. There is a theatre studies module in final year, where students can either do a piece of independent practical work alone or in small groups, or do a big theatre studies written dissertation. It is an amazing final year module that everyone would want to do. The problem is that, while it is a core module for single honours students, it isn't for joint honours students, and there are a small number of staff. Therefore, there isn't always enough space for all joint honours students, and they can only do the module in 'exceptional circumstances'.

I keep telling myself that I can always do an independent performance/practical work with a society, and that I can do a dissertation with the French department anyway, but I keep worrying about this. I would swap to Royal Holloway, where this isn't a problem (there is also loads of accommodation left, and I feel that they would be better at helping me organise my year abroad as they possibly have more contacts with francophone arts organisations) but I keep finding myself hesitating.

I don't know what to do. I feel like the problem is that I have developed some trust issues with all universities after going through this. What if I swap, and Warwick has addressed the issue, and I miss out (they did say that they were looking for ways to include more joint students in the module, but I feel that this might take years)?

I realise that this is a lot of information, but would someone be able to give me some advice? Should I take a leap, and trust that Warwick may resolve the issue (they have had other joint degrees with theatre for possibly ages, but things never changed for them), or should I go with Royal Holloway, where there is more certainty?
Hey Garno,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit unsure as to your next steps.

I'd suggest taking a look at this document here, which is the course breakdown for BA French and Drama at Royal Holloway for 2017 entry. This has all the information on your degree including contact hours for each module, which seems to be fairly evenly split between French and Drama. There's even some information about the year abroad in here.

Moving forwards, I'd really recommend having a think about where you would be happiest, and what course offers you what you want to study. I'm happy to answer any of your questions if you have any, but I'd recommend getting in touch with our Admissions Team ASAP if you wanted to talk through your options. You can give them a call on 01784 276643. They're a really friendly bunch, and will be able to chat you through the next step processes if coming along to Royal Holloway is something you're interested in.

I hope that helps in some way - if you do want to chat through anything from the course to our Drama Societies to our Halls of Residences please do let me know!

Summer
Garno45
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London)
Hey Garno,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling a bit unsure as to your next steps.

I'd suggest taking a look at this document here, which is the course breakdown for BA French and Drama at Royal Holloway for 2017 entry. This has all the information on your degree including contact hours for each module, which seems to be fairly evenly split between French and Drama. There's even some information about the year abroad in here.

Moving forwards, I'd really recommend having a think about where you would be happiest, and what course offers you what you want to study. I'm happy to answer any of your questions if you have any, but I'd recommend getting in touch with our Admissions Team ASAP if you wanted to talk through your options. You can give them a call on 01784 276643. They're a really friendly bunch, and will be able to chat you through the next step processes if coming along to Royal Holloway is something you're interested in.

I hope that helps in some way - if you do want to chat through anything from the course to our Drama Societies to our Halls of Residences please do let me know!

Summer

Dear Summer,

Thank you for your reply. It was really helpful. I do have one question about something I was not able to figure out on the website.

Can students do a final year dissertation as well as a group performance project in the final year? Also, am I correct in thinking that all drama modules are in general 30 credits?

Thank you so much for your time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Jun '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads