dwdw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
i think im gonna be applying for cs, i know oxford and cambridge require mat or step, but which other uis require them for cs
computed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dwdw)
i think im gonna be applying for cs, i know oxford and cambridge require mat or step, but which other uis require them for cs
This might be a dumb request, but can you define what you mean by 'mat' and 'step'?

I have never heard of these.
Unnamed User
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think Imperial does, but not completely certain
Retrospectre
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by computed)
This might be a dumb request, but can you define what you mean by 'mat' and 'step'?

I have never heard of these.
MAT is Oxford's Maths Aptitude Test, I think Durham uses it too but don't quote me on that, it's basically an entrance test.
STEP (sixth term examination paper) is Cambridge's version of an admissions test, generally you start studying for it in Jan of Year 13 and take up to 3 formal exams (STEP I, II, III) in June along with your other A Level exams. Warwick definitely uses STEP too.
Retrospectre
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dwdw)
Should be able to find thes info in the Entry Requirements tab of each uni's CS course, I know stuff like this is listed on e.g. Warwick's Maths course so I should be right here - have a look at each course manually!
computed
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Retrospectre)
MAT is Oxford's Maths Aptitude Test, I think Durham uses it too but don't quote me on that, it's basically an entrance test.
STEP (sixth term examination paper) is Cambridge's version of an admissions test, generally you start studying for it in Jan of Year 13 and take up to 3 formal exams (STEP I, II, III) in June along with your other A Level exams. Warwick definitely uses STEP too.
Good to know! Thanks
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also step is only required for the computer science with maths course at cambridge not straight computer science.
Retrospectre
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by black1blade)
Also step is only required for the computer science with maths course at cambridge not straight computer science.
Ooooh, didn't know they offered a joint course!
osamabinfishing
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can't really speak for STEP, but Oxford is the only one that requires MAT for Computer Science. I registered for MAT today and on the screen where you tick whichever uni/course you want to send your result to, only Warwick, Oxford and Imperial were there. Warwick & Imperial, however, only require it for courses ran by their respective maths departments. So it's only Oxford.
dwdw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
ok thanks
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dwdw)
No. Cambridge doesn't require STEP for CompSci unless you are applying for the "CompSci with Maths" option.

Imperial sometimes adds a STEP requirement.
username738914
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by dwdw)
Oxford has the MAT (hated that test with all my life)

Cambridge has their new CompSci admissions test. They give out STEP offers if you do CS + Maths for first year.

Imperial sometimes give out STEP offers for banter. Unsure what they do with maths and comp sci

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (420)
56.68%
I don't have everything I need (321)
43.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise