Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I need some advice.

I started a Design degree in February with Open University and while I enjoy the course, I've found a design degree at a different university that is more relevant to my intended career path and I believe will be far more beneficial to my long term goals. My current degree is Design and Innovation (which is very open ended, covering all grounds) and my intended degree is much more specific, Interior Design, an industry I am already starting out in.

I deferred my course a few months ago to re-start in February 2018, with assessment banking, this was unrelated to my current position and due to extenuating circumstances.

I have read through the new University's website that you can apply for a student loan for the diploma and degree, I would like to do this as I don't have the qualifications required to go straight to the degree. However, I do not want to risk losing my eligibility to a student loan in the process as I have no way to fund it otherwise. I am not sure whether I should just go ahead and complete the Open University degree, or if it's not too late to step back and enroll on the degree I really want to be on.

I don't want to risk quitting Open Uni to find I have no degree or options elsewhere afterwards. Could you please advise?

Also, I have no income, if I were to quit my current course would I have to pay back my loan immediately? And once paid back, could I apply for another student loan to cover my intended degree as if this whole debacle never happened?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi BubbleMama

Just need to ask you a few questions to give you the best answer, are you still going to be studying part time or would it be full time study? and how long did you study your previous course?

Thanks Miriam

ReputationRep:
    Hi Miriam, thank you for the quick response. It will be another online degree, so part-time although I'll be working at it full-time and it should take 3 years to complete. I was on my previous module for 4 months before deferring. Thank you
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi BubbleMama

If it's another part time course then you will awarded your tuition fee loan you can make your application online or complete a paper form.

PTL1 Form-http://bit.ly/2qjqlPN

Thanks Miriam

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.