Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I am looking at studying psychology for 2018 entry, and am wondering if my GCSE results are going to be a big problem for my application. I am wanting to go to Durham(AAA) or Bath(A*AA) and am also looking at an Oxford application. My A level results were:
    English Lang - A
    Psychology - A
    Sociology - A*

However in my GCSE's I only managed to achieve 6 Bs (English, Maths and Science +3), 2 Cs and 3Ds. This was way below my predicted straight As. I do have huge personal circumstances that really harmed my performance, but how much is this taken into consideration? Also would I possibly be better off applying to a less competitive course for example Sociology which is ABB/AAB?

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bornFizzle)
    Hi guys I am looking at studying psychology for 2018 entry, and am wondering if my GCSE results are going to be a big problem for my application. I am wanting to go to Durham(AAA) or Bath(A*AA) and am also looking at an Oxford application. My A level results were:
    English Lang - A
    Psychology - A
    Sociology - A*

However in my GCSE's I only managed to achieve 6 Bs (English, Maths and Science +3), 2 Cs and 3Ds. This was way below my predicted straight As. I do have huge personal circumstances that really harmed my performance, but how much is this taken into consideration? Also would I possibly be better off applying to a less competitive course for example Sociology which is ABB/AAB?

Many thanks.
    If you already have A2 grades I don't understand why you need to go for lower offers? Sure it's worth applying for them as well but their lower offers for A2 won't decide what they want for GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSE's mean pretty much nothing after you've done A-levels, you have English, Maths and Science at a "C or above", as most unis put it, so your GCSE's aren't going to hinder your application besides possibly Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    If you already have A2 grades I don't understand why you need to go for lower offers? Sure it's worth applying for them as well but their lower offers for A2 won't decide what they want for GCSE.
    For Psychology Bath say "GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6 plus GCSE English grade B or 6 (or equivalent from category A). We have a preference for candidates with strong previous academic achievement, for example, grade A or 7 in all relevant GCSEs, particularly Mathematics."
    Durham say "We would advise applicants that it is an advantage to have higher level skills in Mathematics in order to help you deal with the statistical element of the programme. Although our minimum entry requirement for Mathematics is a Grade B minimum at GCSE or equivalent we prefer applicants to have achieved a Grade A or above."

As for Sociology they both just want C's in Maths.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    English Lang - A
    Psychology - A
    Sociology - A*

Many thanks.
    Actual A level results, or AS-level? If they are actual A-levels they are what mostly counts rather than your GCSEs. If your A-levels meet or exceed the typical requirements then there's no problem applying. But check you do meet any minimum GCSE requirements*

* For example, Oxford does specifically state "GCSEs: We would normally expect applicants, who have taken GCSEs, to have at least 4 A* grades in relevant subjects, and to have achieved an A*/A grade at GCSE level Mathematics." If you don't meet the Maths GCSE requirement you may be deselected. Contact Oxford to double-check before applying.

https://www.psy.ox.ac.uk/study/under...ryrequirements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    For Psychology Bath say "GCSE Mathematics grade B or 6 plus GCSE English grade B or 6 (or equivalent from category A). We have a preference for candidates with strong previous academic achievement, for example, grade A or 7 in all relevant GCSEs, particularly Mathematics."
    Durham say "We would advise applicants that it is an advantage to have higher level skills in Mathematics in order to help you deal with the statistical element of the programme. Although our minimum entry requirement for Mathematics is a Grade B minimum at GCSE or equivalent we prefer applicants to have achieved a Grade A or above."

As for Sociology they both just want C's in Maths.
    Indeed. And universities tend to be strict about their minimum GCSE requirements. However it's always worth double-checking your specific situation with each university - especially if you have documented extenuating circumstances.

For example Cambridge has this (and also has a PBS course...):
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....umstances-form

And other universities will have something similar - even if it's not a formal form.

ReputationRep:
    So just go for it with psychology then?

ReputationRep:
    Any other opinions would be great guys thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Any other opinions would be great guys thanks
    Can you clarify if these are final A-level grades achieved and you are applying in a gap year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they're my final a levels
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they're my final a levels
    So my comments apply. Especially with regard to asking your potential universities about your GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have phoned Bath and Durham and they both say it is worth applying. Think Oxford may be out of the question though?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.