HELP! i cant find a laptop that's right for me

Watch
Afra_99
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Im going on to uni soon and i am very picky when it comes to buying expensive things lol.
Can anyone recommend me a good laptop that:

.light weight (under 1.3kg)
. No fan noise
. battery life of 7+
. under 700 quid
. will be used mainly for word and watching youtube and movies

PLEASE DONT RECOMMEND A MACBOOK
Arianax
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
With your budget, go for i7 processor as it will be very fast!

What screen size do you want?
NoMoreMemes
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Dell XPS series. The fan noise is very, very little under normal load.
Afra_99
Rep:
(Original post by Ishax)
With your budget, go for i7 processor as it will be very fast!

What screen size do you want?
i dont know what that means lol, and 13 inch and below
Afra_99
Rep:
(Original post by NoMoreMemes)
Dell XPS series. The fan noise is very, very little under normal load.
erm they're like over 1 grand, my budget is 700
Arianax
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Afra_99)
i dont know what that means lol, and 13 inch and below
It's a type of processor.

This is i7, 14inch and is £30 over budget.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...64497-pdt.html

You do get £70 cashback, though.

This is i5, 14inch and £549.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...65442-pdt.html

You get £50 cashback with this laptop.
Afra_99
Rep:
(Original post by Ishax)
It's a type of processor.

This is i7, 14inch and is £30 over budget.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...64497-pdt.html

You do get £70 cashback, though.

This is i5, 14inch and £549.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...65442-pdt.html

You get £50 cashback with this laptop.
Thank you!!! ill consider them both
Arianax
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thank you!!! ill consider them both
I'd recommend the i7 as it will be faster, it is under budget in a way because you will get £70 cashback.

With Currys, you're given a year to buy insurance. So after nearly a year, buy 3 year insurance just in case something happens. If they can't repair it, they will give you a voucher to the value of your laptop. Try to see what deal you can get with them.
SomeWelshGuy123
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Im going on to uni soon and i am very picky when it comes to buying expensive things lol.

. No fan noise
. battery life of 7+
. under 700 quid

What course are you doing? (This will decide what components you need)
Afra_99
Rep:
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
What course are you doing? (This will decide what components you need)
child nursing
Afra_99
Rep:
(Original post by Ishax)
I'd recommend the i7 as it will be faster, it is under budget in a way because you will get £70 cashback.

With Currys, you're given a year to buy insurance. So after nearly a year, buy 3 year insurance just in case something happens. If they can't repair it, they will give you a voucher to the value of your laptop. Try to see what deal you can get with them.
yeh i think i will, it has alot of good reviews
SomeWelshGuy123
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
child nursing
Alright, seeing as it's a course that doesn't require top of the line components i'd recommend an i5 or an i7 if you can stretch that far, 4-8GB of ram, build in sound card and network card, preferably a 1TB HD as well as a small SSD to store windows (if you have an SSD windows will boot a lot quicker). Honestly for £700 you won't find a good pre-built one worth the money, it would be better to have a look at custom laptop and PC builders online.
Arianax
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
yeh i think i will, it has alot of good reviews
That's good, I'm glad I've helped you. Don't forget to buy a laptop bag or rucksack
Afra_99
Rep:
(Original post by SomeWelshGuy123)
Alright, seeing as it's a course that doesn't require top of the line components i'd recommend an i5 or an i7 if you can stretch that far, 4-8GB of ram, build in sound card and network card, preferably a 1TB HD as well as a small SSD to store windows (if you have an SSD windows will boot a lot quicker). Honestly for £700 you won't find a good pre-built one worth the money, it would be better to have a look at custom laptop and PC builders online.
im sorry but i didnt understand a single thing lol, do you know any laptops that will be right for me?
username1439610
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

. No fan noise
. battery life of 7+
. under 700 quid

You can get away with an i5 if you're only using it for uni, as well as a standard HDD. You'll only need an i7 with an SSD and more RAM if you're using it for demanding tasks like gaming or video editing. I've had my mac for 2 years and it has an i5 with 8GB of RAM and it works just fine for the day-to-day usage, so you don't really need a high end laptop.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

. No fan noise
. battery life of 7+
. under 700 quid

Chromebook meets all your requirements and is significantly cheaper than your budget.

I have had a Toshiba chromebook for two years now and have used it throughout my degree. Still works at the same speed as when I got it, and I have no noticed a decline in battery life.

It is fanless so no fan noise. Much more lightweight than any laptop I have previously had. I can get my battery to last up to 12 hours if not watching videos. Average at around 8-9 hours battery life though.

I'm pretty sure you can get a microsoft office app, but I have personally never used one. I just use google documents because it is very easy to convert them to word word/ power point documents.

I think mine cost around £180 new two years ago, so if you got the same model it'd likely be much cheaper now.

The only reason I wouldn't recommend a chromebook is if you foresee yourself in the near future needing a laptop capable of special running programmes and applications like photoshop.
Tyde_dv12
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If all you need is just youtube+word/PowerPoint documents. Don't even bother wasting a lot of money. Any potato laptop can run that.
elladhillon
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
iPad Pro works brilliantly for me and my study is exclusively online came notes read text books and documents
niteninja1
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

. No fan noise
. battery life of 7+
. under 700 quid

A chromebook would do all of the above
nutz99
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
If you want the quietest laptop you can get then go for one with an SSD - preferably 256GB. I know you want a really light one but you're going to struggle in that area. Have a look at this one - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/dell-...8f/version.asp
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.26%
October 2021 (220)
45.64%
November 2021 (54)
11.2%
December 2021 (62)
12.86%
January 2021 (55)
11.41%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.51%