Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The N word is either offensive or it is not: make up your damn mind Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So recently, YouTube mega-star PewDiePie’s come under fire for using the N word in the middle of one of his streams. The outrage was instant and quite understandable. The N word is a pejorative and racially abusive term. Its use is rooted in centuries of racism and enslavement. The N word’s use is unacceptable in casual conversation except in specific contexts like history lessons. Right? Wrong.

You see, the fact of the matter is people have a double standard (that is literally what it is, like it or not) on this. There are plenty of prominent celebrities who frequently use the N word, in casual conversation, music, movies etc. None of them are ever criticised or condemned for it. Why? They happen to be black. I’m sorry, but this is a hypocritical double standard point blank. Note, I’m not defending PewDiePie using it. I think he deserved the condemnation he got. The N word is appalling and should never be used by anyone, even if they are black.

I hear plenty of pathetic defences of why it’s acceptable for one group of people to use the N word and not for another. The most common is that black people who do use the N word, do so in a colloquial fashion, in a sort of friendly jest and that white people have historically used it as an expression of racist prejudice. The flaw in that argument is gaping. Firstly, if black people use the N word in jest, white people can too. Yes, historically they may have used it in a racist form, but historically human beings wiped their a**es with leaves. Doesn’t mean that’s the way things are now. If the argument is that black people are using it as slang, why can’t white people also use it as slang so long as there’s no racially prejudiced reason for doing it? In PewDiePie’s case, he seems to have used it out of frustration while playing a game.

There is no rational argument which justifies excusing predominantly black hip hop musicians and other media figures when they use the n word. Nobody should use the n word. Ever. Every argument I’ve read so far which tries to explain away black people using the n word is ridiculous and doesn’t stand to logical scrutiny. Most of them come from SJWs who try to subvert logic and semantics to prove that every single white person is racist…you know…even if they actually aren’t. They’ll argue that the “ism” in racism is systemic even though it isn’t (there are only dictionary definitions of words you muppets, do us a favour and stop making advocacy of black issues look f****** ridiculous with your twisted logic, you’re harming POC not helping) and we have a combination of words to describe systemic racism (systemic racism) but that’s a whole other debate.

The point is simple. Do not use the n word. Ever. Even if you’re black. If you do, you deserve the same condemnation as a white person does for using it. I’m black and I always challenge my black friends when they use the n word. A message to all my black brothers and sisters reading this: if you don’t like it when white people do it, why the hell do you do it? How do you expect nonblack people to respect us and see us as equals if we can’t even apply our own standards properly? I pray one day we’ll condemn Lil Wayne, Kanye and all the other rappers for using a word which stinks of racism with the same ferocity as we do when whites do it.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan23094)
    So recently, YouTube mega-star PewDiePie’s come under fire for using the N word in the middle of one of his streams. The outrage was instant and quite understandable. The N word is a pejorative and racially abusive term. Its use is rooted in centuries of racism and enslavement. The N word’s use is unacceptable in casual conversation except in specific contexts like history lessons. Right? Wrong.

You see, the fact of the matter is people have a double standard (that is literally what it is, like it or not) on this. There are plenty of prominent celebrities who frequently use the N word, in casual conversation, music, movies etc. None of them are ever criticised or condemned for it. Why? They happen to be black. I’m sorry, but this is a hypocritical double standard point blank. Note, I’m not defending PewDiePie using it. I think he deserved the condemnation he got. The N word is appalling and should never be used by anyone, even if they are black.

I hear plenty of pathetic defences of why it’s acceptable for one group of people to use the N word and not for another. The most common is that black people who do use the N word, do so in a colloquial fashion, in a sort of friendly jest and that white people have historically used it as an expression of racist prejudice. The flaw in that argument is gaping. Firstly, if black people use the N word in jest, white people can too. Yes, historically they may have used it in a racist form, but historically human beings wiped their a**es with leaves. Doesn’t mean that’s the way things are now. If the argument is that black people are using it as slang, why can’t white people also use it as slang so long as there’s no racially prejudiced reason for doing it? In PewDiePie’s case, he seems to have used it out of frustration while playing a game.

There is no rational argument which justifies excusing predominantly black hip hop musicians and other media figures when they use the n word. Nobody should use the n word. Ever. Every argument I’ve read so far which tries to explain away black people using the n word is ridiculous and doesn’t stand to logical scrutiny. Most of them come from SJWs who try to subvert logic and semantics to prove that every single white person is racist…you know…even if they actually aren’t. They’ll argue that the “ism” in racism is systemic even though it isn’t (there are only dictionary definitions of words you muppets, do us a favour and stop making advocacy of black issues look f****** ridiculous with your twisted logic, you’re harming POC not helping) and we have a combination of words to describe systemic racism (systemic racism) but that’s a whole other debate.

The point is simple. Do not use the n word. Ever. Even if you’re black. If you do, you deserve the same condemnation as a white person does for using it. I’m black and I always challenge my black friends when they use the n word. A message to all my black brothers and sisters reading this: if you don’t like it when white people do it, why the hell do you do it? How do you expect nonblack people to respect us and see us as equals if we can’t even apply our own standards properly? I pray one day we’ll condemn Lil Wayne, Kanye and all the other rappers for using a word which stinks of racism with the same ferocity as we do when whites do it.
    Nice novel you wrote there.

Pewdiepie is a tool. And the N word can be used by black people but not by white people.

ReputationRep:
    Mate. Allow it. We as nonblacks will never understand stuff like this. So it's your best bet not to use it but I think it does them harm in the long run as well, because it just confuses and infuriates others, making them want to say ******/*****, too. I personally have never found any use for the word. But I think no one should use it. Internet blacks don't see that so oh ****ing well. Let them get bent outta shape when a white person uses it, I'm done trying to understand. My mates who are black and my gf's mum (black) have the same silly mentality: "we can use it, not you." So ok then. I know many older-gen and woke younger-gen blacks don't like it though.

ReputationRep:
    In possibly the most obvious analogy ever:

I can call a friend a **** down the pub.
    If I call a client a ****, that's wildly inappropriate.

Context matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    In possibly the most obvious analogy ever:

I can call a friend a **** down the pub.
    If I call a client a ****, that's wildly inappropriate.

Context matters.
    that's not the same thing.

If you replace the words friend and client with black and white, and your censored word with the n word, it wouldn't be what op is talking about, unless you're the censored word...

The double standard is:

white person calls black person the n word or even uses n***a=racist.
    black person calls black person the n word or even uses n***a=normal black person.

I mean...I think both the white and black person saying it are ****ing revolting and ignorant. But people actually think black people should use it. :lol:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    that's not the same thing.

If you replace the words friend and client with black and white, and your censored word with the n word, it wouldn't be what op is talking about, unless you're the censored word...

The double standard is:

white person calls black person the n word or even uses n***a=racist.
    black person calls black person the n word or even uses n***a=normal black person.

I mean...I think both the white and black person saying it are ****ing revolting and ignorant. But people actually think black people should use it. :lol:.
    It's exactly the same principle, since the context, rather than the skin colour of the person saying it alone, is what matters. If I, as a white person, write a paper on the use of pejorative terms to limit people of colour's sociopolitical influence, I would be perfectly justified in using the word, along with several others. What is inappropriate, due to the social and historical context, is for me to use it casually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    It's exactly the same principle, since the context, rather than the skin colour of the person saying it alone, is what matters. If I, as a white person, write a paper on the use of pejorative terms to limit people of colour's sociopolitical influence, I would be perfectly justified in using the word, along with several others. What is inappropriate, due to the social and historical context, is for me to use it casually.
    Oh I see. So you're saying..you, as a white person, can say the word if the context suits saying ******/a.

That's still false though lol blacks will be up in arms regardless of the context, seriously. No idea why they're so territorial about the rights to a horrible word. Anyone with sense would want it to be considered hate speech across the board. :dontknow:.

ReputationRep:

Whew that's quite the essay. Whether the N-word should be taboo or not has been up for discussion for a while now, I don't think anything will change quite soon. But with that said, my take on it is rather simple. Words are inherently value free, that's why if I cursed at someone they could either take offense from that or not at all, that same logic can be applied to the use of the N-Word.

A conversation consists of two stand points, the sender and the receiver. The N-Word would only have an effect If value was attached to it, this is something the individuals involved could chose to do so. At a societal standard the N-word has value attached to it and is ultimately deemed an insult, but i believe It would only be insulting to the individual if it were offensive to them, no one else can make that decision.

To generalize this topic and say that It isn't offensive or that it is completely offensive to use the words are irresponsible statements to say respectively. Permit of the use of the word doesn't solely exist at any of those extremes but both.

ReputationRep:
    The idiocy of continuing to use a word that you believe should not be used is hilarious - if you can call each other it, then it's all based on context, because you mean no offence in calling each other it, yes? If so, then why can other people not use the word, assuming it's used in a non-offensive context? I'll be honest, when I was a teenager I used to call my mates my "n***as" - some of them in the group were black and weren't the slightest bit offended (I've grown up since then and no longer use the word, of course). Just seems like some people have a stick up their arse about it, but again, if black people didn't keep using the word, it'd die out as it'd then be deemed to have no place in modern society. All the while people still keep using it, it'll stay alive. A word should either be acceptable for all to use within certain contexts, or not acceptable at all.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to saying niqqa/niqqer, ive just dont care.

Virtually no one has said to me with the intent to offend, and it is rarely said around me in general.

Blacks like to control this word for whatever reason, they like to play with 1 rulebook where they're allowed to use it regardless and be offended at EVERY contextual use of it, while others cant use it at all, I mean not even quoting blacks favourite icons music lyrics.

For the whole pewdiepie thing, it really should be a non issue unless you're a parent, only understandable outrage is not wanting your kids listening to someone say that when they're most popular youtuber.

ReputationRep:

To put it very very simply; history. White people took that word and made it an offensive and derogatory term, and now we shouldn't use it. But people of colour can, it's their word. You want to blame someone for that? Blame our ancestors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    The idiocy of continuing to use a word that you believe should not be used is hilarious - if you can call each other it, then it's all based on context, because you mean no offence in calling each other it, yes? If so, then why can other people not use the word, assuming it's used in a non-offensive context? I'll be honest, when I was a teenager I used to call my mates my "n***as" - some of them in the group were black and weren't the slightest bit offended (I've grown up since then and no longer use the word, of course). Just seems like some people have a stick up their arse about it, but again, if black people didn't keep using the word, it'd die out as it'd then be deemed to have no place in modern society. All the while people still keep using it, it'll stay alive. A word should either be acceptable for all to use within certain contexts, or not acceptable at all.

(Original post by Mekkiii)
    When it comes to saying niqqa/niqqer, ive just dont care.

Virtually no one has said to me with the intent to offend, and it is rarely said around me in general.

Blacks like to control this word for whatever reason, they like to play with 1 rulebook where they're allowed to use it regardless and be offended at EVERY contextual use of it, while others cant use it at all, I mean not even quoting blacks favourite icons music lyrics.

For the whole pewdiepie thing, it really should be a non issue unless you're a parent, only understandable outrage is not wanting your kids listening to someone say that when they're most popular youtuber.

maybe someone will listen to you two because not everyone listens to me when I say the same thing. Idk why but I come off like a raging racist apparently.

ReputationRep:
    dont mind people saying it white or black, as long as it's being used in the non racially abusive context - which absolutely does exist, undeniably. if racially used, then you're just a fool really not worthy of getting tilted over imo.

if a white friend came up to me and said yo whats up ma ______ (if you filled that blank which the n word you're 100% racist, lmao jk) I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    Even if you used it in the racially abusive way, it's like, whatever man. Ive heard that word sooooooooo much that it's like any other word in the dictionary at this point I dont even think in a racially abusive way it would tilt me in all truth.

but, OP you can't get away from the fact that it does have colloquial and racial undertones , some black guys perceive the latter when dealing with any white/non black person, I personally perceive the former when dealing with white/non-black friends. and if you're being racist with it, I honestly cba dealing with such a pathetic individual.

In terms of Pewds, he made a mistake and the problem is, like he acknowledged, the lack of learning and growing from prior incidents. When I was in high-school I used to see year 8's and that with PewdiePie backpacks and stuff, so it was showed a huge lack of responsibility on his behalf, but, I honestly wasn't triggered by it or anything, I've heard it way too much to still be sensitive to it.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Ironically, assuming a person is racist based on the colour of their skin is racist.

Personally whoever uses it I think it's beyond tasteless, but I don't assume they're racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    maybe someone will listen to you two because not everyone listens to me when I say the same thing. Idk why but I come off like a raging racist apparently.
    Yeah maybe, but we all know at the end of the day, people will still get mad online and find any reason to get angry to fuel their disgusting self absorbed self.

All this outrage really is just an opportunity to show how "wonderful" and "righteous" they're (people who are mad), these are the same people who will contact your employer/university to try and ruin your life.

ReputationRep:

Lool and why should it be dictated by a TSR user, who can and can't use it and whether it should be offensive or not?
    What works for one person might not be alright for another. One thread on TSR isn't going to change anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Nice novel you wrote there.

Pewdiepie is a tool. And the N word can be used by black people but not by white people.
    Is that permissible? Only certain races may use certain words based on an arbitrary connection, that is could I argue black people can't say 'penicillin' because it was invented by a white person and therefore has cultural connection to white people? Anyone should be able to say it, it's the context that matters. If I call my friend the n-word then it's reasonable to assume I'm joking, if I call a client the same derisively ie 'what would you know you stupid N-word' then that's obviously offensive and inappropriate. Sticks and stones. It's a word, it only does as much harm as you let it. This whole 'certain words for certain races' is the most ridiculous advocacy for race based moderation I've ever heard - so singling out by race is fine provided it's done on the basis of words being spoken?

As for the OP isn't a more important argument a moral one rather than that of word use by whoever? Pewdiepie plays up to the edgelord twelve year olds that constitute his audience in majority and all this is bringing attention to himself via them. He's playing on societies hypersensitivity to earn money via kids and impressing negative behaviour on them in the process. Using the word the way he did was to cause controversy because people will take the bait and schoolkids will be impressed because its 'defying the rules, man' as kids tend to do in majority. There's a reason the stereotype is little kids shouting racial abuse over xbox live.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not black so I don't know how much my opinion is going to count here, but I don't think this "N word" should be considered offensive on its own. It's just a word.

Yes, it has historically been used in a racist and offensive manner, but that doesn't mean every time someone uses it today they are trying to be racist or offensive. Most people nowadays just use it as another slang word, as an alternative for "dude" or "bro".

I think people should consider the sentiment and intent behind what a person says, rather than just getting offended by a word on its own.

ReputationRep:

ok so based on the fact you inherently fail to understand the difference between the N-ER and the N-A words and also unironically used the term "SJW" you've really disappointed me :///

ReputationRep:
    pewds is illuminati

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.