babushkac4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
im in year 12 and i want to become a forensic psychologist.
for my subjects ive taking maths chem and bio- but im going to drop bio for psychology.
can someone please tell me how exaclty to become a forensic psychologist, (the best uni's)
along with relevant work experience/volunteering I need to do
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by babushkac4)
for my subjects ive taking maths chem and bio- but im going to drop bio for psychology.
can someone please tell me how exaclty to become a forensic psychologist, (the best uni's)
Get a BPS accredited degree in psychology > become a charted member of the BPS > get a postgraduate masters in forensic psychology > then register with the health and care professions council (HCPC) > find a job as a forensic psychologist.

You should try and find work experience in a prison and/or within a mental health environment.

It doesn't really matter what university you go to as long as the course is accredited by the BPS.
babushkac4
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
Get a BPS accredited degree in psychology > become a charted member of the BPS > get a postgraduate masters in forensic psychology > then register with the health and care professions council (HCPC) > find a job as a forensic psychologist.

You should try and find work experience in a prison or within a mental health environment.

It doesn't really matter what university you go to as long as the course is accredited by the BPS.
thank you sooo much
FloralHybrid
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by babushkac4)
Most people working as a career in forensic psychology did a masters in it. Meaning, you could do a bachelor degree in any science subject, then a master in FP to prepare for your career.
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
Most people working as a career in forensic psychology did a masters in it. Meaning, you could do a bachelor degree in any science subject, then a master in FP to prepare for your career.
Not quite. BPS accredited masters degrees in FP require you to have applied for or have Graduate Basis for Chartered membership (GBC) with the British Psychological Society which you usually can only gain from having bachelor's degree in psychology.

If you have a undergraduate degree in another subject your degree must be assessed by the BPS to see if you will gain graduate membership or not - which is required to get on to forensic psychology master's courses.

Additionally, BPS accredited masters courses in FP will specifically ask for an undergraduate in psychology.

So you will need GBC and a undergraduate degree in Psychology to be able to move on to a master's in FP and subsequently work as a Forensic Psychologist. It is possible to achieve with other undergraduate science degrees, but you have to jump through more hoops to get there or do conversion courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.69%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.62%

Watched Threads