Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi , I'm currently in the process of putting my personal statement together for uni. I feel like I haven't got a lot of experience , which in turn I feel will affect my application. Does anyone know of any volunteer or maternity classes etc that would benefit me attending so I can put it on my PS? I have attended a few prenatal and baby weighing classes , that's about it besides my work experience. Thank you 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taylorlea24)
    Hi , I'm currently in the process of putting my personal statement together for uni. I feel like I haven't got a lot of experience , which in turn I feel will affect my application. Does anyone know of any volunteer or maternity classes etc that would benefit me attending so I can put it on my PS? I have attended a few prenatal and baby weighing classes , that's about it besides my work experience. Thank you 🙂
    Hi, it's worth seeing if you can shadow a midwife at your local hospital or get a voluntary position in maternity. However it normally takes some time to sort this sort of thing out and you will have probably sent your application off before you have something sorted. You could look at NCT or mother & baby groups or I know some universities have midwifery taster days you could look into.
    Even if your work experience is not directly related to midwifery, you can relate the skills you have gained e.g communication, team work, listening etc and show you have a clear understanding of the role of a midwife from research or attending the prenatal classes.
    Use what you have at the moment to build your personal statement and if you can get more experience, add it in. It isn't just about relevant experience but showing you have the understanding of the role, dedication & skills to take on the challenges of the course and the passion for midwifery & caring for & supporting women.
    I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel_l218)
    Hi, it's worth seeing if you can shadow a midwife at your local hospital or get a voluntary position in maternity. However it normally takes some time to sort this sort of thing out and you will have probably sent your application off before you have something sorted. You could look at NCT or mother & baby groups or I know some universities have midwifery taster days you could look into.
    Even if your work experience is not directly related to midwifery, you can relate the skills you have gained e.g communication, team work, listening etc and show you have a clear understanding of the role of a midwife from research or attending the prenatal classes.
    Use what you have at the moment to build your personal statement and if you can get more experience, add it in. It isn't just about relevant experience but showing you have the understanding of the role, dedication & skills to take on the challenges of the course and the passion for midwifery & caring for & supporting women.
    I hope this helps.
    Thank you very much for your help , I'll look into it 😊

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your help , I'll look into it 😊
    Glad I could help. Good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! Same I am also applying for Midwifery and during the summer holidays I went to the UCLH for a midwifery summer school and it went on for four days.
    I initially asked them if they offered work experience and they said no because they have thier on students , a couple of months later they emailed me to say that they are offering a midwifery summer school. UCLH stands for university college london hospitals.
    May I ask what universities you are applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspire.1a)
    Hi there! Same I am also applying for Midwifery and during the summer holidays I went to the UCLH for a midwifery summer school and it went on for four days.
    I initially asked them if they offered work experience and they said no because they have thier on students , a couple of months later they emailed me to say that they are offering a midwifery summer school. UCLH stands for university college london hospitals.
    May I ask what universities you are applying to?
    Hello that sounds very interesting!! It's a shame I live a little way away from London. University of East Anglia as I live about 35/40 minutes away from there and Nottingham University . Those are the main two, how about yourself ? 🙂

ReputationRep:
    Hello that sounds very interesting!! It's a shame I live a little way away from London. University of East Anglia as I live about 35/40 minutes away from there and Nottingham University . Those are the main two, how about yourself ? 🙂
    Aw! Thats good.
    Well I live in London, so im applying to City uni, in london, Middlesex uni, Hertfordshire uni and Kings college in London.
    Are u not planning on studying in London?
    And what subjects r u studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspire.1a)
    Aw! Thats good.
    Well I live in London, so im applying to City uni, in london, Middlesex uni, Hertfordshire uni and Kings college in London.
    Are u not planning on studying in London?
    And what subjects r u studying?
    Yeah that makes sense then. I haven't really looked into it tbh , I'm not too sure which ones in London are good for midwifery. I'm also worried about not being accepted in because obviously it's a very competitive job. So I'm unsure on whether to apply for adult nursing as well and then do the additional course afterwards , if I don't get into the midwifery course. I'm doing Health Studies and aiming for D* D* D* , you ?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that makes sense then. I haven't really looked into it tbh , I'm not too sure which ones in London are good for midwifery. I'm also worried about not being accepted in because obviously it's a very competitive job. So I'm unsure on whether to apply for adult nursing as well and then do the additional course afterwards , if I don't get into the midwifery course. I'm doing Health Studies and aiming for D* D* D* , you ?
    Kings college and City university are two really good unis for midwifery
    Your doing health studies btec?
    You well get accepted dont worry!!

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a look at them then. Thank you , yeah I am 🙂 thank you I'm sure you will too !

ReputationRep:
    Breast feeding support groups, you have to take a short course first and then volunteer at the support groups. That would be some good experience. Also volunteering on maternity wards in hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurMitchxx)
    Breast feeding support groups, you have to take a short course first and then volunteer at the support groups. That would be some good experience. Also volunteering on maternity wards in hospitals.
    Thank you, I've been to a few prenatal classes before and felt like it's really helped 🙂
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello Taylorlea24,

Here at Middlesex University we have a great Midwifery course
    We have great facilities and simulations area!
    You can find out a bit more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s46y34rt0Rs

Why don't you come to have a look at our next Open day on the 7th of October? www.mdx.ac.uk/openday
    I would love to show you around!

Have a great weekend
    Ludovica

ReputationRep:
    Hello , I will look into it thank you 😊

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.