Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Stupidly picked a private uni to study at....now I'm realizing that I'd rather go to a larger uni with more facilities and more importantly, the only way I can afford it is if I used my maintenance grant to pay for part of the tuition fees.

Is it too late to change now? I want to study English Literature but I have no idea where or whether I'd have to submit an entirely new UCAS application and on top of that whether I'd get accommodation sorted as well in time.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honeysmoke)
    Stupidly picked a private uni to study at....now I'm realizing that I'd rather go to a larger uni with more facilities and more importantly, the only way I can afford it is if I used my maintenance grant to pay for part of the tuition fees.

Is it too late to change now? I want to study English Literature but I have no idea where or whether I'd have to submit an entirely new UCAS application and on top of that whether I'd get accommodation sorted as well in time.
    At this point you'd have to be released in clearing but rather than making a rushed decision, it'd be a better idea to do a fresh application and start next year.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

I dont think it will be possible to change at the moment, but you should check online. The most probable option will be to wait until next year and take a gap year.

Many students are beginning to move into the accom for next academic year, so accommodation may be difficult to get now.

My suggestion is to check online for any courses still open, get in, apply for accommodation if possible and then go to uni. Else, either you go to the private uni or take a gap year and reapply for next year.

All the best

ReputationRep:

Have you paid any money yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Have you paid any money yet?
    Paid half the first terms accommodation fees and if I register have to pay some of the first terms fees upfront

ReputationRep:
    Paid half the first terms accommodation fees and if I register have to pay some of the first terms fees upfront
    How much will it cost you to walk away? How much extra over three years (compared to a normal uni) will it cost you to stay? Which uni is it?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.