North Korea threatens to sink Japan and turn US to 'ashes and darkness' Watch

Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
North Korea dishes out the threats yet again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ashes-darkness

North Korea has threatened to sink Japan and said the US should be “beaten to death like a rabid dog” after the two countries spearheaded fresh UN security council sanctions in response to the regime’s recent nuclear test.

The Korea Asia-Pacific peace committee, which oversees North Korea’s relations with the outside world, described the UN security council, which passed a new round of sanctions on Monday, as a “tool of evil” in the pay of Washington, and called for it to be broken up.

It is the first time that Pyongyang has issued an explicit threat to Japan since it fired a medium-range ballistic missile over the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido at the end of last month, triggering emergency sirens and mass text alerts.

“The four islands of the [Japanese] archipelago should be sunken into the sea by the nuclear bomb of Juche,” the committee said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency. Juche is the ideology of self-reliance pioneered by Kim Il-sung, the country’s founder and grandfather of the current leader, Kim Jong-un.

“Japan is no longer needed to exist near us,” the committee added.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
North Korea dishes out the threats yet again.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ashes-darkness

North Korea has threatened to sink Japan and said the US should be “beaten to death like a rabid dog” after the two countries spearheaded fresh UN security council sanctions in response to the regime’s recent nuclear test.

The Korea Asia-Pacific peace committee, which oversees North Korea’s relations with the outside world, described the UN security council, which passed a new round of sanctions on Monday, as a “tool of evil” in the pay of Washington, and called for it to be broken up.

It is the first time that Pyongyang has issued an explicit threat to Japan since it fired a medium-range ballistic missile over the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido at the end of last month, triggering emergency sirens and mass text alerts.

“The four islands of the [Japanese] archipelago should be sunken into the sea by the nuclear bomb of Juche,” the committee said in a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency. Juche is the ideology of self-reliance pioneered by Kim Il-sung, the country’s founder and grandfather of the current leader, Kim Jong-un.

“Japan is no longer needed to exist near us,” the committee added.
........and your point is?
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
(Original post by uberteknik)
........and your point is?
Just posting some news for others to read in case they missed it.
TheGreatPumpkin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What the hell did Japan do?:argh:
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
I know right... North Korea just threatens anyone to make themselves seem strong.
Hamoody
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When people are insecure, they usually dish out threats and mock others :beard:
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History dear chap.

Japan annexed Korea in 1910 which was the culmination of the late 19th century defeat of China by Japan thus removing China's sovereignty over Korea. That ended after Japan's defeat in WWII.

Korea spilt into north and south after the Korean war in the 1950's. Japan is now an ally of the U.S. providing a formidable conventional military capability in the region, and together with South Korea, is therefore seen as a complicit puppet and legitimate target by the N.K. dynasty.
TheGreatPumpkin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History dear chap.

Japan annexed Korea in 1910 which was the culmination of the late 19th century defeat of China by Japan thus removing China's sovereignty over Korea. That ended after Japan's defeat in WWII.

Korea spilt into north and south after the Korean war in the 1950's. Japan is now an ally of the U.S. providing a formidable conventional military capability in the region, and together with South Korea, is therefore seen as a puppet and target by the N.K. dynasty.
Oh I know the second part about the Korean war and a tiny bit about Imperial Japan, but I thought Japan had a non-interventionist policy so it wouldn't get caught up in foreign wars?
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
History dear chap.

Korea spilt into north and south after the Korean war in the 1950's. Japan is now an ally of the U.S. providing a formidable conventional military capability in the region, and together with South Korea, is therefore seen as a complicit puppet and legitimate target by the N.K. dynasty.
That's all history though... Japan has showed no interest in any wars since WW2 and I think they even signed a pledge never to go to war on foreign soil? Not certain about that though.

South Korea borders with the North so I can understand why Kim may want to issue an odd threat every now and then but it seems he is losing control a little bit and just threatening anyone and everyone. He threatened Australia and the UK as well...

Threatening countries that just want to go about their way is pretty pathetic to be honest. So what if Japan and South Korea are allied with the U.S, can anyone really blame them when they have a maniac for a neighbour lol.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh I know the second part about the Korean war and a tiny bit about Imperial Japan, but I thought Japan had a non-interventionist policy so it wouldn't get caught up in foreign wars?
(Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
That's all history though... Japan has showed no interest in any wars since WW2 and I think they even signed a pledge never to go to war on foreign soil? Not certain about that though.
Japan has pacifism written into their constitution, and all their armed forces are "self defence forces", but there is a movement in the country - a significant one - to remove this part of the constitution to allow the country to act overseas.

The current belief is that this will happen by 2020.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Japan is effectively under the protection of the U.S. in return for a limited Japanese military capability and allowing a significant U.S. military presence spread throughout several bases in Japanese territory.

North Korea will invoke anything that antagonises the U.S. to keep Kim at the forefront of international news and continues feeding the N.K. internal propaganda machine.

Every verbal response directed against N.K., is used as a justification for the hardships endured by its people and the hard-line 'Juche' socio-political philosophy used to keep the Kim dynasty in power.

That includes provoking Japan and therefore the U.S. Kim would like nothing more than an expansionist Japanese military to continue justifying developing its nuclear and ballistic technologies.
TheGreatPumpkin
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Japan has pacifism written into their constitution, and all their armed forces are "self defence forces", but there is a movement in the country - a significant one - to remove this part of the constitution to allow the country to act overseas.

The current belief is that this will happen by 2020.
Japan is effectively under the protection of the U.S. in return for a limited Japanese military capability and allowing a significant U.S. military presence spread throughout several bases in Japanese territory.

North Korea will invoke anything that antagonises the U.S. to keep Kim at the forefront of international news and continues feeding the N.K. internal propaganda machine.

Every verbal response directed against N.K., is used as a justification for the hardships endured by its people and the hard-line 'Juche' socio-political philosophy used to keep the Kim dynasty in power.
Oh ok
HabibSyed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't get it, why can countries like the US, UK and Russia have nuclear weapons but not Iran or North Korea. If you ask me, either you let everyone make nuclear weapons freely, or make it so that noone can have nuclear weapons.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by HabibSyed)
I don't get it, why can countries like the US, UK and Russia have nuclear weapons but not Iran or North Korea. If you ask me, either you let everyone make nuclear weapons freely, or make it so that noone can have nuclear weapons.
Because proliferation significantly increases the probability that someone will use it sooner or later.

After WWII and during the Cold-War, all nations signing up to the nuclear non-proliferation treaty have done so because the original five nuclear powers agreed to work towards first reducing their stockpiles of weapons, limiting the types and ranges of tactical delivery methods and then removing them.

The U.S. and Russia developed and agreed arms limitation treaties (SALT, START, SORT etc.) ex- Soviet countries returned their weapons to Russia for de-commissioning. The U.S., Russia. China. France and the U.K. have all decommissioned many thousands of nuclear warheads and continue on the path of eventual nuclear weapon elimination.

North Korea is flying in the face of the entire global community and threatens to disrupt nuclear non-proliferation and kick off a new nuclear arms race where anyone and everyone feels they need them.
username2763536
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
because the genie is kind of out of the bottle with russia and the usa. You can't exactly make them give them up but that doesn't mean we should be encouraging more people to make nukes.Especially not unstable dictators who kill their own people.Why exactly would you want north korea to have nuclear weapons? Do you want a nuclear war and the inevitable nuclear winter that would follow? Nobody wins in a nuclear war.
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
?
These countries got nukes before there was any kind of world agreement or proliferation agreements. However 95% of the world agrees that more nukes is not a good thing and have created policies to reduce the number of nukes and decided as whole not to allow any more countries to have nukes.

I know it seems unfair because some countries have them and some do not but these were developed in a time before any kind of world agreement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads