The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

The 'Ask a King's College London (KCL) Student' Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Apologies for my absence in getting back to you all, the first half of the Masters was somewhat hectic!

Original post by LaNy0014
What type of person would you say suits biomedical sciences? (As in, interests within biology and chemistry) I’m thinking of doing it for 2019 entry but I don’t know if disease is for me (even though I think it is). Also, is there a good balance between lab work and written work? (as I think I’d like to do more lab-y things without doing a chemistry undergrad degree!) Thank you!!

The beauty of Biomedical Sciences is the openness of the degree and tailoring to whatever interests you have. Year 1 is 'Common Year One', where you'll study basic sciences, but in Year 2/3 you're able to focus down into specific areas by picking whatever modules you want to do, and so if there's specific areas of science that interest you (Say, genetics) then you can follow that through. As for lab/written balance, I think there's a good mix to it, but that's dependent on the modules pick. Some will be more lab based than others.

Original post by MarshmallowStars
Heyy! Congratulations to everyone who already have offers!!

I was just wondering, if the accomodation is reasonably priced (being a London uni).
Like I’m kind of put off paying £150 a week for the cheapest accommodation :/

Also how easy is it getting a part time job? Is it possible to have in-campus jobs where the hours are flexible to fit your uni schedule instead of vice versa?

Thanks! :smile:

To be honest that's London for you. It's all going to be expensive, but as far as £150 goes, that's pretty good. When I lived out I was at GDS and it was £184/week, so definitely worth it for the price you have there I'd imagine.

As for jobs, it's just like any other place where students are. If there's local part time jobs then go for them since you'll need it. On campus there's definitely plenty available for you, see: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/services/careers/Jobs-Opportunities/Job-Hunting/Part-time-work.aspx/ KCLSU also advertises via its mailing list, information here: https://www.kclsu.org/about/workforus/

Original post by alexandraxx
Hi! I got an interview for undergraduate course of Dentistry in KCL! I am really happy and excited about this opportunity, however I do not have much information how MMI looks like in KCL in particular :frown: Could you tell me anything about that perhpas? Or maybe any of your friends study Dentristry at KCL?

I don't have the opportunity to be preapred for that by some institution, so i would really appreciate any advice or contact with dentistry student at KCL.

Thanks in advance

I don't really have much contact with dentists unfortunately. nor do I have much knowledge on how it works. You're best off looking in the dentistry section for help!

Original post by nisha.sri
Heyy do you know when the offer holder day/ applicant visit day is ?

I've no idea, best to get into contact with the university themselves.

Original post by RiahDawson
Which societies (if any) did you join? And how active are they?
Which campus are biological sciences taught on in year 1?
How affordable is life in London as a student?
How busy is the workload for biological sciences in year 1 (if you know?)
Do you need to get an Oyster card?Rail pass? Or are most thing walking distances and not worth getting it?

I've been a part of football and the Labour society, both of which are incredibly active given they're extremely popular/well known as student societies. If you mean Biomedical Sciences, that is taught at Guys, with some modules elsewhere like Waterloo.

Life in London is naturally quite expensive, but that doesn't make it impossible what with Student Finance, a part time job potentially, and spending in a somewhat constructive fashion.

As for workload, honestly for most courses year 1 is really quite manageable. The only thing that most people struggle to get to grips with is the style of learning at uni (that of course being much more independent than school), but otherwise it's not something that I imagine you would find impossible to adapt to, providing you actually do some work :tongue:

I would say if you're intent on visiting London, do invest in an Oyster card (though for tubes and buses you can just use your Contactless at the same price). It's only worth investing in a travel card if you know you'll be making journeys every single day frequently. For KCL exclusive stuff it's mostly all in walking distance, but you also have Boris Bikes too and Uber if it's nights out.

Original post by yes18
Hi there!
Did you make kings your firm offer, also do kings give unconditional offers. Its such a good uni:smile:

Yes to both questions!

Original post by beyondohs
Hello! I am a student from the US and am seriously considering accepting my offer at KCL. The only thing I am worried about is the social scene, being that the school in very urban and not so "campusy". Can you describe your experience with this type of environment- the pros and cons perhaps, as well as what the social scene consists of (societies, clubbing, parties, etc.) ? Thanks so much!

Social wise, it's honestly no different to anywhere else, and in fact, I'd argue better than a lot of other locations, purely because you have London at your doorstep. There's so much to do and see that really it's hard not to find yourself in a social scene that you enjoy. Society wise, KCL has plenty that are thriving, again depending on what you're into.

I guess the downsides are that as a 'city' campus you don't get that traditional university feel, and being London, the busy, congested setting may not appeal to some folks. It does mean however that you're not constrained by what is on campus since you'll always be right in the centre of everything anyway. Personally I'm a city guy and so I've no issue with it.

Original post by wasmolly_
I'm currently deciding between Queen Mary University, King's and Exeter to study History.
What would you the :
1) social scene is like
2) lecturers are like (are they passionate about their subjects?)
3) students around are like (can you have debate with people? People are super apathetic where I'm from, and I'm so excited with people who will actually challenge me intellectually, you know?)

Thank you so much! It's so fab that you're making this thread for us!

I've answered above a couple of times on the social scene, suffice to say it's great! The same can be said for the lecturers, who are I'd say 90% perfect at what they do. Some aren't but then that's kind of like school teachers.

Finally, yes, people are quite tuned in, and it's especially the case when you join a society. Meeting both likeminded and people with opposing views is something I've definitely come to appreciate at uni.

Original post by thecampfiresong
Hi I'm a current EMDP student and I was wondering how you found the first two years as I am a bit worried about the gap between FBS1 and GBE/FBS2

I didn't really find them difficult in all honesty :smile:

Original post by Jon1999
I applied for MSci physics. Got an offer but now want to change to bsc physics. Is it possible to do so before the course begins and if it is who should i contact?

Reasonably simple, it's something you should bring up with your head of course and they can direct you on the procedure/people you should discuss with.

Original post by Ya_Boi
Do they kick a lot of people off the medicine course? Do they offer second / third chances or is it quite ruthless

In my experience, quite ruthless. You've a chance at one set of retakes, but only under mitigating circumstances can you get anything further than that.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by MrDystopia
Apologies for my absence in getting back to you all, the first half of the Masters was somewhat hectic!

The beauty of Biomedical Sciences is the openness of the degree and tailoring to whatever interests you have. Year 1 is 'Common Year One', where you'll study basic sciences, but in Year 2/3 you're able to focus down into specific areas by picking whatever modules you want to do, and so if there's specific areas of science that interest you (Say, genetics) then you can follow that through. As for lab/written balance, I think there's a good mix to it, but that's dependent on the modules pick. Some will be more lab based than others.

To be honest that's London for you. It's all going to be expensive, but as far as £150 goes, that's pretty good. When I lived out I was at GDS and it was £184/week, so definitely worth it for the price you have there I'd imagine.

As for jobs, it's just like any other place where students are. If there's local part time jobs then go for them since you'll need it. On campus there's definitely plenty available for you, see: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/services/careers/Jobs-Opportunities/Job-Hunting/Part-time-work.aspx/ KCLSU also advertises via its mailing list, information here: https://www.kclsu.org/about/workforus/

I don't really have much contact with dentists unfortunately. nor do I have much knowledge on how it works. You're best off looking in the dentistry section for help!

I've no idea, best to get into contact with the university themselves.

I've been a part of football and the Labour society, both of which are incredibly active given they're extremely popular/well known as student societies. If you mean Biomedical Sciences, that is taught at Guys, with some modules elsewhere like Waterloo.

Life in London is naturally quite expensive, but that doesn't make it impossible what with Student Finance, a part time job potentially, and spending in a somewhat constructive fashion.

As for workload, honestly for most courses year 1 is really quite manageable. The only thing that most people struggle to get to grips with is the style of learning at uni (that of course being much more independent than school), but otherwise it's not something that I imagine you would find impossible to adapt to, providing you actually do some work :tongue:

I would say if you're intent on visiting London, do invest in an Oyster card (though for tubes and buses you can just use your Contactless at the same price). It's only worth investing in a travel card if you know you'll be making journeys every single day frequently. For KCL exclusive stuff it's mostly all in walking distance, but you also have Boris Bikes too and Uber if it's nights out.

Yes to both questions!

Social wise, it's honestly no different to anywhere else, and in fact, I'd argue better than a lot of other locations, purely because you have London at your doorstep. There's so much to do and see that really it's hard not to find yourself in a social scene that you enjoy. Society wise, KCL has plenty that are thriving, again depending on what you're into.

I guess the downsides are that as a 'city' campus you don't get that traditional university feel, and being London, the busy, congested setting may not appeal to some folks. It does mean however that you're not constrained by what is on campus since you'll always be right in the centre of everything anyway. Personally I'm a city guy and so I've no issue with it.

I've answered above a couple of times on the social scene, suffice to say it's great! The same can be said for the lecturers, who are I'd say 90% perfect at what they do. Some aren't but then that's kind of like school teachers.

Finally, yes, people are quite tuned in, and it's especially the case when you join a society. Meeting both likeminded and people with opposing views is something I've definitely come to appreciate at uni.

I didn't really find them difficult in all honesty :smile:

Reasonably simple, it's something you should bring up with your head of course and they can direct you on the procedure/people you should discuss with.

In my experience, quite ruthless. You've a chance at one set of retakes, but only under mitigating circumstances can you get anything further than that.

Thank you for your replies :smile:
Do you know what mpharm is like ? Is the workload very intense ?!
kcl or ucl law in your opinion? :smile:
So slightly copying the idea of some of the other university sections (:ninja:), I've decided to start up this thread too.

Simply put, I am a current KCL student, beginning postgraduate studies this September 2018. My journey through KCL has been a wild one, given my history here. I've studied EMDP medicine, switched to Biomedical Sciences, graduated that with a high 2:1, and now am on to my Masters in Psychiatric Research.

With all this said, I am happy to answer any specific questions regarding the university. Things like 'would I get in with these grades' are best left in the applications thread, as you'll most likely get a more detailed answer. I also won't be answering specific questions regarding why I switched course, since the answer will always just be 'personal/health issues leading to failing by 1%'.

If you're a current KCL student, feel free to jump in and answer some questions too! :biggrin: I'll keep a list of current KCL students below so that people can tag specific users if they like.

Current KCL Students:
MrDystopia - MSc Psychiatric Research

So happy to find a thread like this. I'm a current medicine applicant and I'm still trying to figure out my 5th non medic choice uni. Biomed in KCL is one of my top choices.However, as an EU student I'm a bit concerned about the life there. I bet room renting must be really expensive and maybe even shopping generally (not talking about clothes😂). Could you tell me what you think about the costs maybe? How much do you need or smth :/ i know its quite a hard question. And also, do you feel safe around so many people and with all these attacks that happened last year?
Just a curious girl who overthinks about everything😂 Thaaaanks.
Thank you for your replies :smile:
Do you know what mpharm is like ? Is the workload very intense ?!

I've a friend who graduated with an MPharm from KCL, and each time we caught up throughout the studies, she mentioned that towards the end the workload was incredibly intense. I can't imagine that's much different to other courses however, towards the latter stages of your degree you really do appreciate how little you had with first year in comparison.

Original post by HangeeTw
kcl or ucl law in your opinion? :smile:

KCL because I'm biased and we hate UCL :lol:

Original post by Hero_Lou
So happy to find a thread like this. I'm a current medicine applicant and I'm still trying to figure out my 5th non medic choice uni. Biomed in KCL is one of my top choices.However, as an EU student I'm a bit concerned about the life there. I bet room renting must be really expensive and maybe even shopping generally (not talking about clothes😂). Could you tell me what you think about the costs maybe? How much do you need or smth :/ i know its quite a hard question. And also, do you feel safe around so many people and with all these attacks that happened last year?
Just a curious girl who overthinks about everything😂 Thaaaanks.

I wouldn't be able to give you a rough figure, since these things are changing all the time. London is expensive sure, but then if you're serious about how you spend, living on a budget is really easy to do. Learning to cook naturally helps, and that way supermarkets will become your best friend. Utilising the public transport, walking if need be is also a good idea. Beyond that, if you're struggling financially, a part time job isn't a bad idea, and if you need to discuss it, the uni has a dedicated Money Advice service to help you out (See: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/services/student-advice-support/how/money/index.aspx).

Regarding safety, I've never felt unsafe here. That I can tell you as someone who has lived in London all his life. I was actually at uni in central when the Westminster attacks occurred, and so travelling back on the underground with armed police everywhere so slightly odd. I also know many people who had to hide when the London Bridge attack happened, 30 seconds from our campus. Never have I felt like I'm unsafe or in constant fear of danger given the security services work extremely well to prevent that sort of thing. KCL too, in light of the events, is really strict when it comes to letting folks in without ID now. So whilst they happen, the way I see it, you're in such a major global city that inevitably there's a small risk of it happening, but that's then even smaller that you'll be caught up in it.
Hey,I’m from India, and I recently received an offer from KCL for the economics and management program. So, I basically wanted to know how the party scene at KCL is, which residence hall has the best social scene? I'm really looking for a place that has a work hard and party hard culture because that's where I work the best.
Hey, I got an offer from KCL to study pharmacy I just wanted to know how the contact hours are like etc ... It doesn't matter if it's not pharmacy, could be any other courses :smile: Also how is the workload like ? Thank youu
Reply 27
I'm so happy to have found this thread! Thank you for all your answers so far, they've been really informative. I attended the offer holder day for biomedical science a week or so ago and have a couple of questions. Because King's doesn't offer any required modules in years 2 and 3, I was wondering if there is a particular pathway someone who is interested in ultimately pursuing medicine should follow? Following on from that, what did you make of the teaching quality and facilities overall whilst you were studying biomed at King's?
Also, as excited as I am to be starting this course, I really don't consider myself someone who is great in labs. Will this be a problem, or are the skills (which have thus far eluded me :colondollar:) something you pick up as you go along?
Finally, how are the exams structured at King's? Compared to St George's for example, who are said to have easier exams (according to a friend of mine who studies there), is it considerably hard to get a 1st or 2:1?
Oh, one more tiny question (sorry loool): King's biomed degree is apparently not accredited by the IBMS. Is that a disadvantage, as I hope to study graduate medicine in the future?
Thank you so much :smile:
Shall answer questions when I'm home from uni today :smile:
So slightly copying the idea of some of the other university sections (:ninja:), I've decided to start up this thread too.

Simply put, I am a current KCL student, beginning postgraduate studies this September 2018. My journey through KCL has been a wild one, given my history here. I've studied EMDP medicine, switched to Biomedical Sciences, graduated that with a high 2:1, and now am on to my Masters in Psychiatric Research.

With all this said, I am happy to answer any specific questions regarding the university. Things like 'would I get in with these grades' are best left in the applications thread, as you'll most likely get a more detailed answer. I also won't be answering specific questions regarding why I switched course, since the answer will always just be 'personal/health issues leading to failing by 1%'.

If you're a current KCL student, feel free to jump in and answer some questions too! :biggrin: I'll keep a list of current KCL students below so that people can tag specific users if they like.

Current KCL Students:

how is midwifery at kings????? thanks
Original post by Advaith Jayaram
Hey,I’m from India, and I recently received an offer from KCL for the economics and management program. So, I basically wanted to know how the party scene at KCL is, which residence hall has the best social scene? I'm really looking for a place that has a work hard and party hard culture because that's where I work the best.

If you're interested in the party scene, literally every society has socials that are just that..socials where they go out. Specifically for you, and speaking from experience, KCL IndiaSoc does tend to hold some pretty good parties. Residence wise, I guess it goes without saying that the closer you are to central the easier it is to be social, whilst also being closer to utilise libraries and such. Thus, Wolfson, Great Dover Street and Stamford Street spring to mind.

Hey, I got an offer from KCL to study pharmacy I just wanted to know how the contact hours are like etc ... It doesn't matter if it's not pharmacy, could be any other courses :smile: Also how is the workload like ? Thank youu

Your first year contact hours won't be too excruciating, but as a science you'll definitely have more than say, something Humanities related. It's very manageable and there's plenty of support available should you require it/find yourself struggling to adjust.

Original post by amirama
I'm so happy to have found this thread! Thank you for all your answers so far, they've been really informative. I attended the offer holder day for biomedical science a week or so ago and have a couple of questions. Because King's doesn't offer any required modules in years 2 and 3, I was wondering if there is a particular pathway someone who is interested in ultimately pursuing medicine should follow? Following on from that, what did you make of the teaching quality and facilities overall whilst you were studying biomed at King's?
Also, as excited as I am to be starting this course, I really don't consider myself someone who is great in labs. Will this be a problem, or are the skills (which have thus far eluded me :colondollar:) something you pick up as you go along?
Finally, how are the exams structured at King's? Compared to St George's for example, who are said to have easier exams (according to a friend of mine who studies there), is it considerably hard to get a 1st or 2:1?
Oh, one more tiny question (sorry loool): King's biomed degree is apparently not accredited by the IBMS. Is that a disadvantage, as I hope to study graduate medicine in the future?
Thank you so much :smile:

For your first question, it really depends. The way it works is that certain modules in Year 3 can only be picked if you've picked precursor ones in Year 2. And thus you will have to end up focusing your degree down, even with post-graduate medicine in mind. So really it's just finding what interests you and taking it forward, as it will all be of use in medicine (Doesn't matter if you focus on pharmacology, anatomy, genetics, physiology etc).

Overall the facilities were good. Lecture Capture is a godsend, the Gordon Museum for historical specimens is incredible, and then of course the libraries, access to journals, histology rooms, labs, dissection room, are all invaluable collectively. The only area KCL falls down is the sometimes haphazard IT services, but otherwise I can't fault them.

Given I went from Medicine > Biomed, and thus had very little lab experience, I can definitely say it's something you pick up, and that if you are finding it tough, no one is going to care much or judge you. For someone straight out of high school it's kind of expected that you wouldn't be that adept yet.

I don't know too much about how 'easy or hard' the exams are in comparison to other unis, but I feel like if you work hard enough then a 2:1 isn't tough to get at all and certainly upper/1st either.

For Postgrad medicine, the course not being IBMS accredited doesn't matter.

Original post by wonderdream
how is midwifery at kings????? thanks

Sadly I've not had much experience with midwifery :frown:
Hi there!

I'm a registered Psychiatrist in my country, Brazil. I consider applying for a philosophy graduate path. However, I don't have any formal background in Philosophy, although I participated in a phenomenology study group for over 3 years. My Medical school grades would be equivalent to a 2:1 and my Psychiatry grades would be equivalent to a high 2:1.

Do you think Philosophy of Medicina & Psychiatry MA would suit me as a conversion course? If so, do you think my background would grant me any chance to get an offer? Also, if anyone here is a currently or former student in this program, could you tell me how it works and if it is worth doing?

I know I've made a lot of questions, but thanks for your attention.

Best,

Current KCL Students:

Hi there!
And wow you have done so much!!!
I am confident I want to firm Kings College London to study midwifery.
My offer holder day is on Wednesday:tongue:! Excited for this
Are you in accommodation and if so do you have an recommendations?
Also how was freshers week? Is it easy to make friends and is it easy to adapt to the environment of kings college London?
Thank you
Original post by lucashortencio
Hi there!

I'm a registered Psychiatrist in my country, Brazil. I consider applying for a philosophy graduate path. However, I don't have any formal background in Philosophy, although I participated in a phenomenology study group for over 3 years. My Medical school grades would be equivalent to a 2:1 and my Psychiatry grades would be equivalent to a high 2:1.

Do you think Philosophy of Medicina & Psychiatry MA would suit me as a conversion course? If so, do you think my background would grant me any chance to get an offer? Also, if anyone here is a currently or former student in this program, could you tell me how it works and if it is worth doing?

I know I've made a lot of questions, but thanks for your attention.

Best,

Given your background I do think a conversion to that course would suit you. As to whether or not you would have a chance of getting an offer, I can't really say. Your best bet would be emailing the course leader for further information. All the information, which I'm sure you've already seen is here: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/philosophy-of-medicine-and-psychiatry-ma.aspx

Original post by myquestiontsr
Hi there!
And wow you have done so much!!!
I am confident I want to firm Kings College London to study midwifery.
My offer holder day is on Wednesday:tongue:! Excited for this
Are you in accommodation and if so do you have an recommendations?
Also how was freshers week? Is it easy to make friends and is it easy to adapt to the environment of kings college London?
Thank you

Yeah my journey of switching course, graduating and now doing a Masters is definitely a fun one to talk about :lol: I currently commute since I live in London anyway, but I did live out a year at Great Dover Street. I tend to recommend any of the accommodations that are closest to the various campuses, so Stamford Street Apartments, Great Dover Street Apartments, Wolfson or Moonraker. Just makes getting to uni easier, as well as nights out what with less travelling into central.

As for Freshers, yeah it is easy to make friends if you just be yourself. Usually you tend to forget most people you meet on the nights out, unless you really click, since your close friends will usually be those in your accommodation, your course, your sports/societies. But all the various icebreaker and welcome events are there to do just that, break the ice and foster friendships.
Given your background I do think a conversion to that course would suit you. As to whether or not you would have a chance of getting an offer, I can't really say. Your best bet would be emailing the course leader for further information. All the information, which I'm sure you've already seen is here: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught-courses/philosophy-of-medicine-and-psychiatry-ma.aspx

Yeah my journey of switching course, graduating and now doing a Masters is definitely a fun one to talk about :lol: I currently commute since I live in London anyway, but I did live out a year at Great Dover Street. I tend to recommend any of the accommodations that are closest to the various campuses, so Stamford Street Apartments, Great Dover Street Apartments, Wolfson or Moonraker. Just makes getting to uni easier, as well as nights out what with less travelling into central.

As for Freshers, yeah it is easy to make friends if you just be yourself. Usually you tend to forget most people you meet on the nights out, unless you really click, since your close friends will usually be those in your accommodation, your course, your sports/societies. But all the various icebreaker and welcome events are there to do just that, break the ice and foster friendships.

Thank you so much! I will look into those residences most definitely!
Hopefully tomorrow I can socialise with my new classmates on my offer holder day haha!
Good luck with your masters!!!:tongue:
does kcl participant in any science competitons
Hey! I have got an offer for International Relations
Could you tell me why did you choose KCL International Relations program over other choices ?
Cheers
Reply 37
Original post by MatthieuR
Hey! I have got an offer for International Relations
Could you tell me why did you choose KCL International Relations program over other choices ?
Cheers

I also received an offer for IR! Probably going to make it my firm choice, although I am a bit put off by accommodation prices
Reply 38

Current KCL Students:

Hi there, may I ask do I have any chance to audit a course which is not my optional courses? I am an undergraduate freshman.
what do you suggest to someone who wants to apply? What would make my app stand out?

Quick Reply

Latest