The Student Room Group

Doubts after being awarded a PhD studentship

Hi all,

I recently was awarded a studentship (CDT programme) to start a PhD. This includes stipend, fees and also a small industry top-up. I was only awarded it a few weeks ago and its been a mad rush to get organised since then. As it was so rushed I didn't get chance to see the city I would be moving to. Now that I have arrived I'm not sure how I feel. It's not bad but I just feel a little uneasy with the whole situation, it's not what I'm used to and way further from home that I have been before. At the moment I don't see myself staying here for the next four years. Also I was led to believe that my project would be quite flexible but I now get the impression it wont be.

I'm not sure whether I should drop out now or wait a few months to see how I feel. The reason I want to drop out quickly is that the funding could then be used for someone else perhaps next year. But at the same time that would mean I haven't really given it a shot.

What should I do?
I am on a phd as well with a studentship, take the phd man, you will have a degree most people don't have. You will learn something new. You will meet new people. You will get paid to study and have zero tuition fees. You will open a lot of doors.
Original post by stephen_1995
Hi all,

I recently was awarded a studentship (CDT programme) to start a PhD. This includes stipend, fees and also a small industry top-up. I was only awarded it a few weeks ago and its been a mad rush to get organised since then. As it was so rushed I didn't get chance to see the city I would be moving to. Now that I have arrived I'm not sure how I feel. It's not bad but I just feel a little uneasy with the whole situation, it's not what I'm used to and way further from home that I have been before. At the moment I don't see myself staying here for the next four years. Also I was led to believe that my project would be quite flexible but I now get the impression it wont be.

I'm not sure whether I should drop out now or wait a few months to see how I feel. The reason I want to drop out quickly is that the funding could then be used for someone else perhaps next year. But at the same time that would mean I haven't really given it a shot.

What should I do?

I wouldn't give up so quickly. A big career move, involving moving far away from home to a new city and environment will always be hard and mentally challenging. However, you haven't given yourself a chance to get in the swing of things yet in terms of starting your PhD, exploring the city, or making friends. At least give it several weeks before making a decision.

On the flexibility of the studentship, funded PhD studentships are usually less flexible because the council or funding body that is providing you the money is providing it to you on the basis that you complete the specific research you proposed in your research proposal - so there is less wiggle room.
I must also add PhD studentships are VERY HARD to get, 80% of PhDs these days want self funding. If you don't take it, someone else will, don't lose the opportunity.
Original post by justiceserved
I must also add PhD studentships are VERY HARD to get, 80% of PhDs these days want self funding. If you don't take it, someone else will, don't lose the opportunity.

There's no point spending 3+ years of your life doing something you don't really want to do.
Original post by Cubone-r
There's no point spending 3+ years of your life doing something you don't really want to do.

But you are getting paid to do it? Not many people get the opportunity.
At this point, I would give it some time, try and settle in with your group and see whether or not it's possible to talk to some potential supervisors. The advantage of a CDT is that you have the option of exploring different topics and finding out which one is for you (even if it does feel like the options aren't there). However, although you're on a CDT, it doesn't mean that the support network for PhD researchers isn't available for you to access. Check those out if you'd like further advice :smile:
Original post by justiceserved
But you are getting paid to do it? Not many people get the opportunity.

Aye, but you can get paid to do another job that OP may actually enjoy more.
Original post by Cubone-r
Aye, but you can get paid to do another job that OP may actually enjoy more.

True, but a studentship is bloody hard to get, OP has got one, he might as well take the opportunity. Now we are going out of the EU, studentships will be even harder to get.
Its perfectly normal to feel a bit nervous. But like when you first started at Uni, that wont last long.
Once you get stuck into your research and get to know some other students (who will also be feeling a bit nervous as well...) you'll wonder what you were so worried about.

PS. If you dont do this PhD, you'll always look back on it and wonder what might have happened if only you had.
Original post by stephen_1995
Hi all,

What should I do?

Hi,

I think many people had similar uncertainty when they started their PhD. Mine was slightly similar. I felt, "should I actually be here or just head back to the industry?" Furthermore, the abstraction which made most of the first few weeks were daunting -I am used to practical stuff.

I took it though, with both hands and, going into my third and final year, it has been a journey completely worth it at Cranfield University.

If you drop out now, you are unlikely to get the same funding next year as it would be re-advertised. If you drop out now, it means that you have not optimized the benefits doing a PhD will get you -networking, paper-writing, producing something novel, the conferences, associating with the bests in critical reasoning, etc.

You'll definitely look back and ask yourself: "why did I drop out?"
I am not sure that you will be happy or content with your response. Especially as your PhD is completely sponsored. I know quite a lot of people who are self-sponsoring and they will bite your arm if you offer then a tenth of sponsorship!

Hope you put your head down and give it a shot. A strong one. You were awarded the studentship because a lot of "people" believed in you. Yourself, the University and the award body. You just need to "up" the belief in yourself a little bit and you will be fine.

All the best in your PhD

Best,

Cranfield TSR Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending