Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do with £30k? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
    I'd pay off all my uni tuition fees
    50.32%
    I'd go on a luxury trip around the world
    49.68%

• TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    So you wake up one morning and some generous soul has stacked your bank account with 30 grand. It's yours to keep and you can spend it on absolutely anything you want. :eek:

What do you do next?

I've got loads of sensible/boring things that I could probably spend it on, but since we're daydreaming here I'm going for a decent second-hand campervan, a ticket on the next ferry to France and several months of road tripping through Europe. How about you?

(BTW, I haven't just plucked the £30,000 number out of thin air - you could actually win 30 grand by entering this competition).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Stick it in t'bank and get some interest on it.

ReputationRep:
    The absolute biggest bag of cans for the lads

ReputationRep:
    I'd buy a sack of socks

ReputationRep:
    Give it to my parents tbh. They've done a lot for me

ReputationRep:
    20k in the bank. 10k buying shares

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty crap selection. Give £30k to the Govt, money they weren't going to get back anyway, or go get diarrhoea in Mexico City. Spoilt for choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. The interest on the loans is so high now it's insane - 6%, and no bank is gonna give 6% interest. I could dump it in stocks, like Berkshire Hathaway, but I could end up being f*cked by the stock market.

But, student loans aren't really a loan. They get wiped aged 50, and there is only a fixed amount relative to earnings to pay. If I had a >£60,000 job i would probably pay it off, but under £40k I would invest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    So you wake up one morning and some generous soul has stacked your bank account with 30 grand. It's yours to keep and you can spend it on absolutely anything you want. :eek:

What do you do next?

I've got loads of sensible/boring things that I could probably spend it on, but since we're daydreaming here I'm going for a decent second-hand campervan, a ticket on the next ferry to France and several months of road tripping through Europe. How about you?

(BTW, I haven't just plucked the £30,000 number out of thin air - you could actually win 30 grand by entering this competition).
    mmmmm buy a bit more stationary!

Whatever my parents want/need, save some and spend the rest on education, travel and a future home.

ReputationRep:
    Make some memes?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    spend a little, save a little, go on a little holiday and pay off a little bit of your debts

ReputationRep:
    charity

ReputationRep:
    Just leave it in the bank with the rest of my savings. Gaining 3% interest a year on that bish.

ReputationRep:
    So many financially illiterate people voting on this poll.

ReputationRep:

What do you do next?

Wonder why I woke up and go back to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I would do both! I wish I could just have the £30k to save rather than blowing it immediately.

What do you do next?

ReputationRep:
    Buy fidget spinners then sell them at my school’s black market for double the price to the year 7s

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably spend a grand or two on books, then sit on the floor surrounded by the piles of them, and cry at my financial ineptness.

Good thing that isn't an option.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well considering my uni debt will be around ~£70,000 or something when I graduate, 30K isn't that much. I'd rather spend it travelling or something rather than contributing to something I won't even pay off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.