Further Maths A level Modules- FP3 and M3 vs S3 and D1 Watch

mlyke
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently doing further maths. I did C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2 last year and right now I'm doing FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2, M3.
My concern is that this will be very hard and I also don't do physics and it wasn't my strongest subject so I think I will find M3 very hard (since I got 82 UMS last year in M2). Do you think it's better to do S3 and D1 instead of FP3 and M3?
univ4464
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mlyke)
I'm currently doing further maths. I did C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,M2 last year and right now I'm doing FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2, M3.
My concern is that this will be very hard and I also don't do physics and it wasn't my strongest subject so I think I will find M3 very hard (since I got 82 UMS last year in M2). Do you think it's better to do S3 and D1 instead of FP3 and M3?
Are you doing edexcel? I think D1 is a good choice instead of M3. How did you do in C3 and C4? FP3 builds a lot on differentiation and integration (at least for edexcel) so I'd say it sort of depends on whether you think you'd do better doing stats or more core maths. Also if you want to go into a sort of mathsy field after A levels I think FP3 would be more beneficial.
mlyke
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by univ4464)
Are you doing edexcel? I think D1 is a good choice instead of M3. How did you do in C3 and C4? FP3 builds a lot on differentiation and integration (at least for edexcel) so I'd say it sort of depends on whether you think you'd do better doing stats or more core maths. Also if you want to go into a sort of mathsy field after A levels I think FP3 would be more beneficial.
got 91 ums in c3 and 82 in c4 but I'm going to retake them. I want to do economics at uni
MoistMandem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mlyke)
Almost definitely the easier option will be S3 and D1, but if you enjoy Further Pure and Mechanics more I'd still recommend doing them.

I have heard (and this is part of the reason I do not touch M3) is that the grade boundaries are very high making it incredibly difficult to achieve top grades. My maths teacher took M3 and got a D grade despite being able to do a fair amount of STEP questions.

The reason for this is because most of the people that take M3 are doing Further Additional Maths AS, with those who chose to take this clearly also do Maths and Further Maths. Considering the large majority of people taking M3 are doing 3 AS/A levels in Maths suggests they are BRILLIANT mathematicians, driving up the grade boundaries as they all achieve top marks.

The Further Maths teachers at my school advise taking FP1 FP2 M1 M2 D1 D2 (or S2 in place of D2) since no further additional maths candidates take these modules, they only consist of further maths candidates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads