Jumping into grade 7 piano (ABRSM) and needing to do grade 5 theory

Watch
roniam
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, So , I've been playing piano for 4 years. It might not seem like a lot, but apparently I am a fast learner. I've never taken an ABRSM grade test, and only done grade 3 theory without the exam. I know-it's kind of a mess. I am a tenth grader (or year 11), and I am aware, (as I am doing the IB diploma) that to take High Level music I must achieve a Grade 5 piano . The thing is, my music teacher worked with me on six, and I found it easy, so he suggested to move up to grade 7 piano. But the requirement is to do grade 5 theory. I've never taken either of the tests, and I am wondering if I am making a mistake? Is the theory really hard?-Oh, here's another detail- the theory exam is in December, so I really don't have all the time in the world since it's september and I still don't have the book. If i don't complete grade 5 theory I can't do my grade 7 exam in june. So, should I do it? Is Grade 7 extremely hard? Do I have to do the Aural tests? Is Grade 5 theory hard? Am I way over my head?Please, anyone, anything can help. Thanks
univ4464
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by roniam)
Hi, So , I've been playing piano for 4 years. It might not seem like a lot, but apparently I am a fast learner. I've never taken an ABRSM grade test, and only done grade 3 theory without the exam. I know-it's kind of a mess. I am a tenth grader (or year 11), and I am aware, (as I am doing the IB diploma) that to take High Level music I must achieve a Grade 5 piano . The thing is, my music teacher worked with me on six, and I found it easy, so he suggested to move up to grade 7 piano. But the requirement is to do grade 5 theory. I've never taken either of the tests, and I am wondering if I am making a mistake? Is the theory really hard?-Oh, here's another detail- the theory exam is in December, so I really don't have all the time in the world since it's september and I still don't have the book. If i don't complete grade 5 theory I can't do my grade 7 exam in june. So, should I do it? Is Grade 7 extremely hard? Do I have to do the Aural tests? Is Grade 5 theory hard? Am I way over my head?Please, anyone, anything can help. Thanks
Have you looked at other exam boards? does the IB stipulate that it has to be ABRSM because you could just do grade 7 with a different board that doesn't require the theory or just do grade 5 that doesn't require the theory that you should find alright if you can do grade 6.
roniam
Rep:
?
(Original post by univ4464)
Have you looked at other exam boards? does the IB stipulate that it has to be ABRSM because you could just do grade 7 with a different board that doesn't require the theory or just do grade 5 that doesn't require the theory that you should find alright if you can do grade 6.
No, my teacher told me it would be better if it is ABRSM, besides I do want to achieve it. But I am really wondering if it is too hard?
univ4464
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, my teacher told me it would be better if it is ABRSM, besides I do want to achieve it. But I am really wondering if it is too hard?
I don't really know how hard the theory is - I did it ages ago, but if you're really into music and want to take sort of the more classical side further then you should find it interesting and easy enough to understand. As long as you put enough time into it then you should be fine. I think grade 7 and 8 really do require something extra in comparison to 5 and 6, but again, provided you put the effort in I think you should be fine if you don't feel that you need to do grade 6. 4 years really isn't a very long time to have played and do grade 7, that will be very impressive when you pull it off.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have to do grade 5 theory to do grade 6 also, as you have to have it to do any grade further than grade 5.
I can't speak of grade 7 piano as I haven't quite got there yet, but I will say for the theory you have a massive advantage by playing the piano rather than an instrument that only covers one clef. You will have a fair amount of learning to do, but it's not that difficult tbh and there's many sections which are easy to pick up marks in. There are things like all the italian, french and german words which you could be asked, but generally they aren't worth many marks so know some easy ones and don't worry about the others (but do take a guess in the exam!). Intervals are also quite important, and transposing by certain intervals is a popular question. Most theory papers are pretty similar so I would see if you can get your hands on a past paper booklet and give one a go. If you can't get around 50 or so then I'd say it might be a bit late for this term, but you could certainly do it next term and I think my results were out like 4 weeks later which is enough time to get the entry in for the exam in the summer.
Bubs051213
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Working towards grade 8 music theory (with 6 under the belt). Grade 5 isn't a walk in the park but it also shouldn't be too difficult as long as you have a decent understanding of classic music. As previously stated, you have a MASSIVE advantage already reading two clefts. If you can also transpose and have a decent understanding of Italian/French/German musical words then I'd say you're a good way there. It's also worth remembering that the exam is 2 hours long which is easily enough time to sit it twice (for me anyway) so you don't need to be fast at composing or transposing etc. I'd advise getting this book and some past papers. Good luck and please do feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Theor...ry+in+practice
roniam
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bubs051213)
Working towards grade 8 music theory (with 6 under the belt). Grade 5 isn't a walk in the park but it also shouldn't be too difficult as long as you have a decent understanding of classic music. As previously stated, you have a MASSIVE advantage already reading two clefts. If you can also transpose and have a decent understanding of Italian/French/German musical words then I'd say you're a good way there. It's also worth remembering that the exam is 2 hours long which is easily enough time to sit it twice (for me anyway) so you don't need to be fast at composing or transposing etc. I'd advise getting this book and some past papers. Good luck and please do feel free to message me if you have any other questions!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-Theor...ry+in+practice
Thank you very much! This is very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (68)
27.53%
No - I have already returned home (27)
10.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (51)
20.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (26)
10.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (75)
30.36%

Watched Threads