Need GCSE History to study History at Oxford? Watch

TheGoddessSpeaks
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
On the website it says that History GCSE is preferred but what if you apply with A level History and no GCSE? Would that be considered or would you be at a disadvantage to other candidates with both?
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You would need the required (A) grade in A Level history/prediction, with a good HAT score. I see no reason why they would reject you on the basis of 1 GCSE if you had those . Anyways it says preferred not required so don't worry, if you like the course,city etc... then apply
Mohamedjama
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can you even do a level history without gcse history?
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mohamedjama)
Can you even do a level history without gcse history?
at some colleges/6th forms yes ,
TheGoddessSpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
You would need the required (A) grade in A Level history/prediction, with a good HAT score. I see no reason why they would reject you on the basis of 1 GCSE if you had those . Anyways it says preferred not required so don't worry, if you like the course,city etc... then apply
Thank you!
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheGoddessSpeaks)
On the website it says that History GCSE is preferred but what if you apply with A level History and no GCSE? Would that be considered or would you be at a disadvantage to other candidates with both?
History A-level is recommended and most applicants have it. Those that don't would need to demonstrate aptitude for historical study in some other way. There is no GCSE requirement - its just that most applicants tend to have also studied it at GCSE or similar.
TheGoddessSpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
History A-level is recommended and most applicants have it. Those that don't would need to demonstrate aptitude for historical study in some other way. There is no GCSE requirement - its just that most applicants tend to have also studied it at GCSE or similar.
Thanks for that clarification- so History A level alone would be sufficient- there would be no advantage in e.g taking GCSE in one year in L6 alongside A level ( no AS)?
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheGoddessSpeaks)
Thanks for that clarification- so History A level alone would be sufficient- there would be no advantage in e.g taking GCSE in one year in L6 alongside A level ( no AS)?
You would not be rejected for not having taken GCSE History because this is not a requirement. Did you take a GCSE in a related subject? For example GCSE Classical Civilisation. If not, taking GCSE History would do no harm but it is not essential and the gains appear to be fairly modest if you are taking A-level History.
TheGoddessSpeaks
Rep:
?
(Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
You would not be rejected for not having taken GCSE History because this is not a requirement. Did you take a GCSE in a related subject? For example GCSE Classical Civilisation. If not, taking GCSE History would do no harm but it is not essential and the gains appear to be fairly modest if you are taking A-level History.
Thanks very much for your comments. This has been very helpful especially as it looks like the option to do GCSE in L6 will be withdrawn by school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?