blimeyitscharlie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently trying to decide on the final spot for my UCAS choices and need some help as I'm undecided between Bath and Southampton for mechanical engineering.

Southampton seems to be the slightly superior course. A bit more interesting, wider variety of units and good extra curriculars make it a good option but im not entirely convinced about the city. It seems like there are a couple of nice bits but it just seems a little bleak and lifeless? Please do say if this is not the case. What is the bar/restaurant culture scene like and is there enough to do? Is the campus (Highfield) a bit far out? Just a general scope to put my mind at rest as this is the only thing stopping me going for it.

Bath on the other hand is beautiful. Very pretty with lots of little shops and a buzzy atmosphere but I've also heard people say that it is touristy with nothing for young people to do. Are there clubs and bars etc? Is it all very pretty but with little to do as people said? Opinions and experience would be much appreciated. The course seems good at Bath, not quite as exciting as Southampton and not Russell group but seems to have some exciting projects going on. I just need a general idea of the pros and cons of both.

Thanks!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by blimeyitscharlie)
I am currently trying to decide on the final spot for my UCAS choices and need some help as I'm undecided between Bath and Southampton for mechanical engineering.

Southampton seems to be the slightly superior course. A bit more interesting, wider variety of units and good extra curriculars make it a good option but im not entirely convinced about the city. It seems like there are a couple of nice bits but it just seems a little bleak and lifeless? Please do say if this is not the case. What is the bar/restaurant culture scene like and is there enough to do? Is the campus (Highfield) a bit far out? Just a general scope to put my mind at rest as this is the only thing stopping me going for it.

Bath on the other hand is beautiful. Very pretty with lots of little shops and a buzzy atmosphere but I've also heard people say that it is touristy with nothing for young people to do. Are there clubs and bars etc? Is it all very pretty but with little to do as people said? Opinions and experience would be much appreciated. The course seems good at Bath, not quite as exciting as Southampton and not Russell group but seems to have some exciting projects going on. I just need a general idea of the pros and cons of both.

Thanks!
You have until the 15th January to decide all your choices (except Oxbridge).

Do NOT rush it. Go visit them.

RG is meaningless for undergrad choices, especially for engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
blimeyitscharlie
Rep:
?
Thats the problem, I'm going for Cambridge so need to get it sorted out quickly. Went to bath today though and was pretty convinced. What do you mean by RG?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thats the problem, I'm going for Cambridge so need to get it sorted out quickly. Went to bath today though and was pretty convinced. What do you mean by RG?
You only need to apply to Cambridge by the 15th Oct. You can add your 4 other choices at any stage up until 15th Jan.

Indeed it can be a good strategy to hold back on your 5th choice until after you receive your Cambridge decision in early January.

Note, you can't change anything else... your PS and reference has to stay the same.

(RG = Russell Group, a self selected academic lobby group. And it's not a measure of teaching or course quality. Southampton got a Bronze in the recent TEF, Bath got a Gold.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks!
I'm from Portsmouth and I know Southampton almost as well as I know Portsmouth. You are correct about the city, it is a bit lifeless and dead - this is mainly due to WWII because it was heavily bombed and all of the old, traditional buildings were destroyed and more modern and ugly looking buildings were built in their place so it has lost a lot of its charm and character over the years. There are a few nice bits to it, but I wouldn't live there for 3/4 years if you ask me.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which are your other 4 choices? Mostly asking this because if Bristol isn't one of them, it would probably make sense to have that as your 5th choice.

Out of those two I'd say go to Bath, they're very good for engineering and are great at getting people into years in industry if that's something you want to do. From what I've seen, Southampton oversells themselves quite a lot so I'm not sure how much you would benefit from the supposed wider range of options.
blimeyitscharlie
Rep:
?
My five choices are Cambridge (Gonville & Caius), Imperial, Bristol, Bath and Birmingham. After going back to Bath, talking to students and seeing the place again, I decided to go for it as I really like the course. Thanks for all your help this has definitely been a useful process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (213)
56.8%
I don't have everything I need (162)
43.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed