University of Dundee Applicants 2018 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Airmed
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everybody! It is that time of year again..

Fill out the following, and get to know your fellow applicants:

Name:
GCSEs (or equivalent):
AS or equivalent grades:
A2 or equivalent subjects:
A2 (predictions or achieved)/ Equivalents:

If you have any questions about Dundee, I'd be happy to answer them - just quote or tag me! I am a final year Politics student at the uni, and also the Support Team member for this forum. You can also find a general FAQ thread here.

Connect Dundee University. See which other TSRians are applying for your course! It's also a handy page for stalking and seeing what grades Dundee have asked for in previous years.
hysterria
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Erin
Course: Neuroscience
Grades: Different of course, but I'm predicted an 8.0 on my final exams which I think is equal to AAB
Bnaca
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Angus
Course: Film Studies
Grades: National 5 (only important ones) - A in both Maths and English. Highers in 5th Year - BBCC in English, French, Human Biology, and Maths, respectively. Highers currently sitting in 6th year - Media, Classics, History and RMPS.

Question
In regards to combined degrees, how exactly do they work? Sounds like a silly question, but when I was reading the prospectus, and the online degree page, I just couldn't wrap my head around it. The reason I'm interested in a combined degree (and this may just be because of my indecisiveness), is because I'm still not 100% sure if film studies is for me. Ideally, the degree would help towards becoming a Film Critic, however, there are still so many other subjects which fascinate me (philosophy, psychology, classics, to name a few). Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

-Thanks
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bnaca)
Course: Film Studies
Grades: National 5 (only important ones) - A in both Maths and English. Highers in 5th Year - BBCC in English, French, Human Biology, and Maths, respectively. Highers currently sitting in 6th year - Media, Classics, History and RMPS.

Question
In regards to combined degrees, how exactly do they work? Sounds like a silly question, but when I was reading the prospectus, and the online degree page, I just couldn't wrap my head around it. The reason I'm interested in a combined degree (and this may just be because of my indecisiveness), is because I'm still not 100% sure if film studies is for me. Ideally, the degree would help towards becoming a Film Critic, however, there are still so many other subjects which fascinate me (philosophy, psychology, classics, to name a few). Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

-Thanks
Hi!

Ok, so it's like this.

In Years One and Two, you do 6 modules per year (3 per semester). 2 or 3 from your chosen degree (so, for example, year One Film Studies, there are no compulsory modules, but they highly recommend you take HU11001 Human Futures (Highly Recommended), EN11003 Reading the Screen: An Introduction to Film Studies and EN12005 Perspectives and Movements in Cinema) with one per semester.

So, let's say you do Reading the Screen in semester one and Perspectives and Movements in semester 2. That leaves 4 more module choices left, 2 per semester. This means you can now choose from a wide range of subjects to fill out the choices. The uni recommends you do them in 2s. For example, my named degree is Politics, but in 2nd year (I skipped first year), I also did modules in History, English and Film Studies, and my modules went like this:

semester 1:

compulsory comparative politics module
first world war perspectives (history module)
reading the screen (film studies)

semester 2:

International Relations (compulsory for politics)
Devolution module (an optional politics module)
Romantic to Victorian Literature (English module)

The beauty is that in second year, you can do up to 2 1st year modules. Hence why in second year, I did the Reading the Screen module, which is advertised as a first year module. By the end of second year you then basically choose what your degree is, and in 3rd and 4th year you do modules only in that subject. Like now, all I do is Politics modules.

For Film Studies/English, these links might help:

https://www.dundee.ac.uk/media/dunde...ys/english.pdf
https://www.dundee.ac.uk/humanities/...dules/#tab-eng
holinric
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Logan
Course: Law:
N5: AAABCC
Highers: AABC (B and C subject to change)
Predicted: AH English - A. AH History - A. AH Mods - A. Higher Sociology - A

Question - What are my chances of matriculation into Dundee?
Bnaca
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Updated since I have a better idea of what I wanna do

Course: Philosophy & Film (dual honours)
Grade: National 5 (only important ones) - A in both Maths and English. Highers in 5th Year - BBCC in English, French, Human Biology, and Maths, respectively. Highers currently sitting in 6th year - Media, Classics, History and RMPS.
Airmed
Rep:
?
(Original post by holinric)
Name: Logan
Course: Law:
N5: AAABCC
Highers: AABC (B and C subject to change)
Predicted: AH English - A. AH History - A. AH Mods - A. Higher Sociology - A

Question - What are my chances of matriculation into Dundee?
This is what the site says:

4 years dual qualifying:
ABBB (minimum) /AAABB including English at B . Mathematics or a Science subject (Standard Grade at 2 or National 5/Intermediate 2 at B) is recommended

3 years:

AA (advanced higher) + AAABB (Higher) including Higher English at B . Mathematics or a Science subject (Standard Grade at 2 or National 5/Intermediate 2 at B) is recommended
gw07mcgheerachel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Rachel
Course: Biomedical Science or Biomedical Engineering
Grades: SQA Highers - CCC Biology,Music,English
Predicted Grades - AABB Biology,Maths,Chemistry, Computing
fergijane88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Danielle
Course: Pharmacology (Biomedical Science)
Grades: N5- AAAAAAAB Higher-AABBC
Predicted: Adv Higher- BB Higher-AB/AA

Hey guys! Dundee university is my first choice, after that either Aberdeen or Strathcyde. I'm really hoping for an offer from Dundee, its a great uni and I love the city. If anyone else is applying for a biomedical/biological science send me a message!
cmc16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Catherine
Course: Mathematics
Grades: N5- AAAAAAAA Higher- AAAA
S6 Subjects: AH: Maths, Statistics, Chemistry Higher: English

Any advice or opinions welcome!
laurabri_7
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Laura
Course: Mathematics and Physics
Grades: I had a 9.5/10 overall last year and I'm working towards maintaining that grade
alanna35
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Alanna
Course: pre dental/ Gateway to dentistry (non-science)
Grades: predicted AAA
Has anyone done this course? I've applied but it's difficult to find other people who have done it.
marzipanholmes
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name - Rosie
Location - Durham
Course - Forensic Anthropology
AS - BCC
Predicted A2 - BBB plus EPQ B

Dundee is my first choice
maddietalbert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Maddie
Course: Illustration

In the spring I completed my freshman year at MassArt in Boston, but it wasn't for me. I have been to Scotland quite a few times and I love it so much that I decided I would transfer. Dundee Uni is my first choice and I an applying directly into the Illustration course. If anyone has advice on the application process or putting together a portfolio, I would love to hear it - I am finding that applying to universities in the UK is much different than in the US. Hope to see you all next fall!
ALEXJOYCE9622
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=Airmed;73754330]Hey everybody! It is that time of year again..

Name: Alex
Course:Law (Graduate Entry LLB)
I have a 2:1 bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and a certification in public law. Where else in everyone applying? I wonder what my chances of getting in are!
ALEXJOYCE9622
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
[QUOTE=ALEXJOYCE9622;74235028]
(Original post by Airmed)
Hey everybody! It is that time of year again..

Name: Alex
Course:Law (Graduate Entry LLB)
I have a 2:1 bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and a certification in public law. Where else in everyone applying? I wonder what my chances of getting in are!
anyone know what my chances of admission would be?
Synchronous
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Tom
Course: Computing Science (BSc)
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAAA
A2: AAB predicted (Computer Science, English Language, Mathematics)

What are opportunities for part-time jobs in Dundee (bars, restaurants etc) like?
mhan01
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Morgan
Course: Geography with Spanish
GCSEs: AAAAABBBC
Highers: AAAA-.French, Geography, English, business management

Predicted grades: AH French B, Higher Spanish A, Higher Maths A
username2988048
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name: Josh Elliott
Other unis in order of preference: Glasgow, Newcastle, Dundee (most likely to be my insurance), sheffield, Belfast Location: Brightonnnnnn!
Course: Mathematics
GCSEs (or equivalent): ABBBCCCC
A2 predictions Equivalents: ABB

Anyone in south east England??

Anyone got offers yet???
Synchronous
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't actually think a single person has posted about receiving an offer yet on this sub-forum?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (239)
66.2%
No (122)
33.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed