The Student Room Group

Anyone else with underbite?

If you do please share what it's been like living with it and how do you cope. If you don't but know someone with it please share your opinion on that person. Otherwise, this is just a rant about a strangers life.

I've got severe underbite and because of an accident when I was a kid, my teeth are completely messed up. Orthodontists won't let me get braces until 18 and a half (1 year to go). And I also need to have surgery. Cutting it short, it's caused me a loooot of issues physically and emotionally. But I've had this set of teeth and this jaw for 10 or so years now so I'm somewhat used to it.

But does anyone else out there understand what it's like? People look at me and wonder "why does he always look so moody" etc. (heard it numerous times) but you all have perfectly fine sets of teeth and can smile without a care in the world. Nobody seems to understand smiling isn't easy for me... It's just a reminder I look disgusting. People who complain about "I'm so fat... My eyebrows aren't perfect... My nose a bit big... I'm so ugly even though everyone calls me cute..." just bother me. You can all smile and still look incredibly attractive. Those small imperfections are what makes you look better than perfection. Sounds stupid but I find it's true. For me anyways. But there's a line.. and I've obviously crossed that line when I ended up with messed up teeth.

So many times I just want to go out and meet random people and make friends... But every time I get in that mood and look in the mirror I see what they'd see. It's not pleasant. I feel so restricted. Like I'm holding in my true self like my teeth hold me captive. I've had a couple "outbursts" where I've honestly acted like myself. In short, I smile and laugh a lot. Basically, I'm a really outgoing and happy person when I act myself. But when I get like that I'm extremely sensitive to someone being mean to me. However, when I'm not being myself I'm insensitive. It's like complete opposites pretty much. And so, whenever I started acting like that, people would tell me to shut up or tell me to stop. Honestly, hurts a lot when that happens. I guess it's similar to baring yourself to your lover for the first time after building up all that courage and the first thing they say is "Your body looks disgusting" But I guess I understand where they come from... seeing someone like me so happy isn't the best view lol. Hence the reason for me being so "moody" or whatever. In reality, I'd love to smile like an idiot but it's not viable.

Anyways, that's pretty much how I feel about it. 1 year to go and my life is going to take a huge turn. No more lisps, no more anxiety when talking or smiling, no more being scared to make new friends... All that whilst I build confidence in other areas. I can't wait! Too many times have I felt like deleting myself because of my appearance and loneliness.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
If you do please share what it's been like living with it and how do you cope. If you don't but know someone with it please share your opinion on that person. Otherwise, this is just a rant about a strangers life.

I've got severe underbite and because of an accident when I was a kid, my teeth are completely messed up. Orthodontists won't let me get braces until 18 and a half (1 year to go). And I also need to have surgery. Cutting it short, it's caused me a loooot of issues physically and emotionally. But I've had this set of teeth and this jaw for 10 or so years now so I'm somewhat used to it.

But does anyone else out there understand what it's like? People look at me and wonder "why does he always look so moody" etc. (heard it numerous times) but you all have perfectly fine sets of teeth and can smile without a care in the world. Nobody seems to understand smiling isn't easy for me... It's just a reminder I look disgusting. People who complain about "I'm so fat... My eyebrows aren't perfect... My nose a bit big... I'm so ugly even though everyone calls me cute..." just bother me. You can all smile and still look incredibly attractive. Those small imperfections are what makes you look better than perfection. Sounds stupid but I find it's true. For me anyways. But there's a line.. and I've obviously crossed that line when I ended up with messed up teeth.

So many times I just want to go out and meet random people and make friends... But every time I get in that mood and look in the mirror I see what they'd see. It's not pleasant. I feel so restricted. Like I'm holding in my true self like my teeth hold me captive. I've had a couple "outbursts" where I've honestly acted like myself. In short, I smile and laugh a lot. Basically, I'm a really outgoing and happy person when I act myself. But when I get like that I'm extremely sensitive to someone being mean to me. However, when I'm not being myself I'm insensitive. It's like complete opposites pretty much. And so, whenever I started acting like that, people would tell me to shut up or tell me to stop. Honestly, hurts a lot when that happens. I guess it's similar to baring yourself to your lover for the first time after building up all that courage and the first thing they say is "Your body looks disgusting" But I guess I understand where they come from... seeing someone like me so happy isn't the best view lol. Hence the reason for me being so "moody" or whatever. In reality, I'd love to smile like an idiot but it's not viable.

Anyways, that's pretty much how I feel about it. 1 year to go and my life is going to take a huge turn. No more lisps, no more anxiety when talking or smiling, no more being scared to make new friends... All that whilst I build confidence in other areas. I can't wait! Too many times have I felt like deleting myself because of my appearance and loneliness.

I had an underbite when I was 15. I just got my braces off. I'm sorry, I had no idea that it could cause such pain for some people. But, to quote the old etic, "Good things come to those who wait". In the meantime, just take Grumpy Cat. He has an underbite, but look how widely-adored and successful he is! And even though you don't feel you want to smile at the moment, at least you have things to smile about. And don't forget, what's better than making other people smile?
I have an underbite but it's not too bad. I certainly understand what you mean about smiling though, people who have a perfect set of pearly whites don't realise how lucky they are. My stupid hospital has a 6 month waiting list for an appointment its bloody ridiculous. I would go private if it was feasible but unfortunately the treatment is ridiculously expensive.
yes yes yes, i totally understand the struggle. i'm 17 and have had my underbite literally forever. i used to be really insecure about it, especially because it is really noticeable, but then i realised and used the thought of surgery one day to help comfort me, that it'll all be resolved eventually, and it will. and also, despite how noticeable i may think it looks, a lot of people have something "distinct" about their appearance, and truthfully, under bites are no different in the sense that it's not a big deal. it's not something anybody should have to feel insecure about, they're just bones like anybody else's jaw. and actually, it's surprising, because whilst a lot of people do see it, often a lot of people don't actually notice or at least consciously notice unless you tell them. having an underbite does not mean you look bad, and anything which makes you feel like it does is lying to you. i used to be bullied briefly in secondary school for it, but truthfully i really don't care. the way i look doesn't and won't dictate my life or my thoughts, and i often feel as if those of us with underbites are lucky in the sense that they're fixable "relatively easily", and in both our cases quite soon too! honestly, this may sound really weird, especially because i did hate it before a lot, but it's cool having an underbite. it's fun being different. like yo, this is my jaw, maybe it's not the same as everybody else's but is that a reason for concern? no. i mean, apart from the fact that sometimes it's difficult to chew and what not, i'm still going to "love my jaw" regardless. it's still a part of me, a part of my face, a part of the bones which make up my body. i'm glad that i've learnt to somewhat like it about me. would i still get surgery though? yes. but truth is that nobody really even cares about someone else's underbite, why would any sane person do so? i think i've just grown to realise that underbites and having one isn't really a big deal, because honestly it really isn't unless you give it the power to be :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by FailedMyMocks
I have an underbite but it's not too bad. I certainly understand what you mean about smiling though, people who have a perfect set of pearly whites don't realise how lucky they are. My stupid hospital has a 6 month waiting list for an appointment its bloody ridiculous. I would go private if it was feasible but unfortunately the treatment is ridiculously expensive.

Damn. That's just taking the piss. It's really annoying having them tell you "you've got to wait blah blah" whilst they smile at you with their perfect set of teeth. Would love to punch them right in the mouth hahah
Damn. That's just taking the piss. It's really annoying having them tell you "you've got to wait blah blah" whilst they smile at you with their perfect set of teeth. Would love to punch them right in the mouth hahah

Hahaha. This is so true, the orthodontists always seem to have perfect teeth along with a well defined jaw-line. But patience my brother, it will come in time. Infact in some ways you can think of it as a blessing, it keeps away fake and vain friends and because of this the friends that you do have are more real.
Some days though.. it can kill you to see your smile so I completely understand you brother.
Reply 6
Honestly me and my underbite have a complete love hate relationship; I never noticed that I had an underbite until I was about 14, and even then I never understood what it was. Whenever me and my friends took photos or in fact when any photo was taken I never understood why I looked different or why everyone had 'big' smiles and I kind of- didn't-, and only after going to an orthodontist and the lady explained how it affects you it all seemed to make sense! Alas, although I now understood what an underbite was there came the decision about whether to get braces or go for surgery, and honestly if it hadn't been for my mum researching what treatments there were for underbites I would be in braces now, eliminating the opportunity of surgery (yikes)

Anyhoo with that out the way I now have yearly checkups to see how my bite has progressed, and I reckon I'm gonna get surgery; although I live with an underbite I still have an ~okay~ self esteem, I can still look in a mirror and think 'yeah I'm feelin myself today!' Or put on makeup and feel pretty but there is never a day that goes by without me thinking about my underbite whether that be because of how a photo turns out, because my jaw hurts and is stiff or because I can't bloomin' bite my nails; I still think about it. But it's true that usually many people never notice it, and it's quite amusing to tell people~ the reaction you get is either; "oh god! What is it like?1?1" or "oh yeah I can tell now" (which usually hurts the most) but overall; i guess I'm mostly comfortable with it but it still bothers me and I DO want surgery

I could say more but I'm tired of typing, and it's good to know that other people feel the same way!

Hey_Its_Cerian
I have an underbite, significant to the point that I can fit about a quarter of my tongue through the gap between the front layers when teeth are clenched.

I remember once in school where I had to use scissors to cut some sticky tape, while the guy next to me noticed and thought I was being stupid with - 'You're such a baby, just use your teeth'. That really annoyed me seeing as the lack of bite means I can't bite the tape.

Oh my gosh same to all of this. I know you posted this like a year ago, so I hope you’re further along now, but I’m a 17 (soon to be 18) year old girl and my surgery/braces stuff is all coming up really soon. My underbite is not very severe, but it’s extremely noticeable to me, and you put it into words beautifully how it feels to hear about others flaws. A smile feels the most important, and mine feels disgusting, you know? I’m looking for just like self-esteem support right now. Please don’t feel bad about yourself! I don’t know what kind of place you’re in right now, but as someone who’s going through it too I’m coming to terms with how much more worth a person has than what they look like. It feels hopeless and like I’m just held back, like I can never date or “be cool” or whatever until I get my teeth fixed, but that’s not true and I’m finding ways of coping. If you need a friend to boost your esteem or just talk to about it more (because honestly I do) please tell me!
Oh my gosh same to all of this. I know you posted this like a year ago, so I hope you’re further along now, but I’m a 17 (soon to be 18) year old girl and my surgery/braces stuff is all coming up really soon. My underbite is not very severe, but it’s extremely noticeable to me, and you put it into words beautifully how it feels to hear about others flaws. A smile feels the most important, and mine feels disgusting, you know? I’m looking for just like self-esteem support right now. Please don’t feel bad about yourself! I don’t know what kind of place you’re in right now, but as someone who’s going through it too I’m coming to terms with how much more worth a person has than what they look like. It feels hopeless and like I’m just held back, like I can never date or “be cool” or whatever until I get my teeth fixed, but that’s not true and I’m finding ways of coping. If you need a friend to boost your esteem or just talk to about it more (because honestly I do) please tell me!
Oh my gosh same to all of this. I know you posted this like a year ago, so I hope you’re further along now, but I’m a 17 (soon to be 18) year old girl and my surgery/braces stuff is all coming up really soon. My underbite is not very severe, but it’s extremely noticeable to me, and you put it into words beautifully how it feels to hear about others flaws. A smile feels the most important, and mine feels disgusting, you know? I’m looking for just like self-esteem support right now. Please don’t feel bad about yourself! I don’t know what kind of place you’re in right now, but as someone who’s going through it too I’m coming to terms with how much more worth a person has than what they look like. It feels hopeless and like I’m just held back, like I can never date or “be cool” or whatever until I get my teeth fixed, but that’s not true and I’m finding ways of coping. If you need a friend to boost your esteem or just talk to about it more (because honestly I do) please t

Hey I'm a 14 year old girl and hate how I look. I have got an underbite too and I am convinced I am never getting a boyfriend...I hate how I look and how my teeth are super ugly and stuff. My Orthodontist says I have to get Jaw surgery and stuff.... I have to wait forever... All these girls are glowing with beauty and then their's just me... I constantly stare in the mirror and wonder what in the world is wrong with me. I have 4 more years (and to me that feels like a life time). My jaw also is always in pain and I never sleep. I never get attention from boys like my friends do and they even have said my side view is quote on quote "different from theirs"... But hey hope you look amazing... Good luck with your jaw.
Hey I'm a 14 year old girl and hate how I look. I have got an underbite too and I am convinced I am never getting a boyfriend...I hate how I look and how my teeth are super ugly and stuff. My Orthodontist says I have to get Jaw surgery and stuff.... I have to wait forever... All these girls are glowing with beauty and then their's just me... I constantly stare in the mirror and wonder what in the world is wrong with me. I have 4 more years (and to me that feels like a life time). My jaw also is always in pain and I never sleep. I never get attention from boys like my friends do and they even have said my side view is quote on quote "different from theirs"... But hey hope you look amazing... Good luck with your jaw.

Thank you so much! I'm hoping I'll look amazing too :wink: I never really dealt with jaw pain, but I remember when I was fourteen I felt the exact same way about how I looked, but those years will eventually pass (I mean, here I am now, right?) Also, right now you still have so much to look forward to! And boys/dating probably feels like a big deal right now, but in the future you'll realize that you weren't missing much and that there is a ton of fun stuff to get out of life. I know looking in the mirror is hard sometimes, but eventually you will feel strong and beautiful and no one will even remember what you looked like before your confidence--plus your response shows me that you're already someone who is humble and compassionate, and has a lot going for her as it is. I never got attention from boys in that way either, but I was able to make really good friends and study hard and make myself the person I wanted to be before being in a relationship. Not everyone is shallow, and people are not looking at you as less because of your underbite, they don't notice it as much as you do. Don't ever let how you look hold you back from feeling confident and just as worthy as everyone else-- whether or not boys see you as great as you are. Good luck with your jaw too, I hope it gets better!
This chat really made me happy as so many people understand how it feels to have an underbite, it even made me smile (which I try to avoid in public as it isn’t a pretty sight). When I was reading through people’s stories it made me smile as I can relate. My underbite is pretty bad as it causes problems such as an extremely low self esteem, pain now and then when I eat cereals, face alteration such as my left side of my face is slightly lower than my right, slurs and lisps when I speak and on top of these my teeth aren’t straight. I always try to not think about my appearance when I’m in public, but it’s not that easy for me, especially when people are always looking at me like I’m an alien or something.Right now I’m just trying to focus on school and home, just pushing through life till I get my surgery ( in which I’m on a stupidly loooong waiting list ) but I can’t wait and I can finally be at peace with myself and can enjoy going out and my social life like everyone should. One thing I definitely contemplate about is how different I’m going to look, I will finally be able to clench my teeth without fitting my whole finger between them, my face might be evenly aligned left and right I’m not sure, but damn sure curious to find out, I hope it doesn’t hurt too much after it though.But lastly I just wanted to say good luck to everyone and futures to come and I hope you get the surgery or appearance you want and deserve, good luck, don’t stress, do your best and forget the rest. Bless you all!
Reply 14
So I see you’ve mentioned you’re 14. This means you still have time to fix your jaw LITERALLY RIGHT NOW! Look up proper tongue posture and how it can effect the way your jaw grows. Your jaw is still growing and it grows up until the age of 18 then stops. If you practice holding your tongue on the roof of your mouth, proper posture, and proper chewing and swallowing, your underbite should be able to fix itself naturally in a shorther amount of time than it would take to wait to get surgery. I’m 18 now and have a slight underbite, barely noticeable, but I wished I would’ve known about this a few years ago because it would have saved me a lot of self esteem issues. Good luck!!!
Reply 15
From the US btw. I’m 17 and I really started noticing major changes to my facial look when I was 14. I went to the ortho and was classified with a class 3 underbite which I need surgery when I turn 19. I didn’t really start feeling self concious until last year really. My first 2 years of high school where great I was always going to parties and hooking up with some beautiful girls and had a decent relationship goin with a girl. But then that all started to really change in my 3rd year of highschool. I kind’ve felt like I let my emotions control me because I kept telling my self oh I look so ugly look how protruding my jaw is and I would think people are always staring at me or judging me because of how big my jaw was and would lower my self esteem. Now I rarely get with any girls and I really don’t care
to party anymore. I’m still friends with everyone basically but I just act different, I stopped saying certain words because I would always slur the word and peope wouldn’t understand what I was saying lol. Some people would say stuff about my jaw and I would get really sad but now Idc anymore. I had a few panic attacks because I would just let my emotions and thoughts over run me and scare me. But now I’m just really waiting for surgery. I try to embrace my underbite but its whatever now honestly just have to let time
pass. I would love to smile one day because as someone said earlier in the thread that people always think I look so moody or pissed off but in reality I just can’t show any emotions because I can’t smile or make certain facial experssions. But thats my story and everyones story in here really made me start to think different now about my bite.
So I had completely forgotten about this thread until today when I started randomly searching about underbites again since I had an appointment regarding surgery and braces today. I'm 18, 1 month off 19, and still haven't had any treatment... Yeah. Really frustrating. Well, that is how I felt earlier in 2018. Not to garner any pity or anything but at some point, I got really angry and depressed that I was starting to consider suicide again. My treatment was delayed yet again. I didn't mention in the original post that I actually was first told I could get braces at 17, then 18 and a half, and now it'll be sometime this year (I hope). And surgery in about 2 years time. But eventually, I stopped caring. It sounds kind of crazy considering how much pain it caused me but I really don't care that much anymore. I mean it'd be weird for me to care so much after all these years looking like this right lol. I think we focus too much on how we look to others rather than how we feel about ourselves. I used to let my bite really get to me... it still kind of does. Like when I'm talking to people, my words are slurred and don't come out with proper pronunciation. Or I never take pictures. It's annoying but I also don't care too much about that either. Now that I don't focus on it too much, I feel like I can fit in society... I know saying this for people with really severe underbites probably means nothing but seriously, when you have those days where you don't even remember your underbite it's so much better. Sure maybe you don't get as much attention than you might see others get but who cares man. Try not to think too hard on it. Meditation could help out. I tried it for different reasons and it really does help but I never bother doing it these days. Don't feel like I need it that much anymore so more time to do other things.

Since I didn't pay any attention to this thread for so long it was really refreshing reading on other people's experiences. Not to sound like an ******* but it's kind of nice there are others out there who know what it's like. And also seeing how I was feeling 2 years ago now (I was 17 when I started this thread and practically 19 now) was so interesting. I was so excited hahaha.. poor me. To the girls with an underbite, I'm guessing it's harder than that for a male. Since girls are expected to be all pretty and that. I've known some girls with an underbite. One of them had an underbite similar to mine actually. She's really attractive. Another girl that had pretty bad teeth I was kind of obsessed with at one point. Just know it's not all over because of a bad jaw. Not all of us are that shallow. Although a lot of boys are... but you'd be better off not caring for them. Life without caring about girls for me is actually soooo much better than when I do care. Should work the same for you girls.
So I had completely forgotten about this thread until today when I started randomly searching about underbites again since I had an appointment regarding surgery and braces today. I'm 18, 1 month off 19, and still haven't had any treatment... Yeah. Really frustrating. Well, that is how I felt earlier in 2018. Not to garner any pity or anything but at some point, I got really angry and depressed that I was starting to consider suicide again. My treatment was delayed yet again. I didn't mention in the original post that I actually was first told I could get braces at 17, then 18 and a half, and now it'll be sometime this year (I hope). And surgery in about 2 years time. But eventually, I stopped caring. It sounds kind of crazy considering how much pain it caused me but I really don't care that much anymore. I mean it'd be weird for me to care so much after all these years looking like this right lol. I think we focus too much on how we look to others rather than how we feel about ourselves. I used to let my bite really get to me... it still kind of does. Like when I'm talking to people, my words are slurred and don't come out with proper pronunciation. Or I never take pictures. It's annoying but I also don't care too much about that either. Now that I don't focus on it too much, I feel like I can fit in society... I know saying this for people with really severe underbites probably means nothing but seriously, when you have those days where you don't even remember your underbite it's so much better. Sure maybe you don't get as much attention than you might see others get but who cares man. Try not to think too hard on it. Meditation could help out. I tried it for different reasons and it really does help but I never bother doing it these days. Don't feel like I need it that much anymore so more time to do other things.

Since I didn't pay any attention to this thread for so long it was really refreshing reading on other people's experiences. Not to sound like an ******* but it's kind of nice there are others out there who know what it's like. And also seeing how I was feeling 2 years ago now (I was 17 when I started this thread and practically 19 now) was so interesting. I was so excited hahaha.. poor me. To the girls with an underbite, I'm guessing it's harder than that for a male. Since girls are expected to be all pretty and that. I've known some girls with an underbite. One of them had an underbite similar to mine actually. She's really attractive. Another girl that had pretty bad teeth I was kind of obsessed with at one point. Just know it's not all over because of a bad jaw. Not all of us are that shallow. Although a lot of boys are... but you'd be better off not caring for them. Life without caring about girls for me is actually soooo much better than when I do care. Should work the same for you girls.

I'm glad man. We shouldn't use our looks as an excuse for not doing things because in truth some things in life require courage - underbite or not.

I've been in braces for a few months and well my under-bite has got significantly worse (it's expected) but like you I don't think about it too often but sometimes I can't help but think my life would be different if I could express myself like I really want to.
Having an underbite isn’t easy trust me I try to hide it but there’s nothing I can do I try to make myself feel better by thinking surgery will come but the thing is the dentists are taking the piss I just want to have my braces on at 16 then look normal by the age of 20
I have got an open bite but it isn’t really noticeable unlesss you look from my side profile. I’m 18 and I’m on the waitlist for braces followed up with jaw surgery.

I do hate me smile but it isn’t the same the way you feel. And about the people who tell you to shut up... maybe they aren’t your friend because that’s utterly rude...

Latest

Trending

Trending