Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've been thinking about this for a while and with some gentle (ish ) persuasion from a couple of people on here I'm giving it a go

I'm finally about to start uni after a few years out of education, and both excited and very scared! This blog will serve as the normal grow your grades, but also a kind of freshers blog and in particular how it's going health and chronic illness-wise as this is going to be a massive thing for me.

More about that...

I have chronic fatigue syndrome, a form of dysautonomia that affects how my body adjusts to things like standing up and temperature changes, and various other conditions including depression. I'm also dyspraxic and under investigation for some other stuff. These collectively mean that the last four and a half years (ish) have been a bit of a disaster, but I'm getting better at managing them all and ready to give this a go. All that said, I'm still not really well enough, and very aware that this could well all just go horribly wrong.

So, that's me. I'm going to try and update this about weekly and see how it goes. In terms of grades I really need a 2:1 overall if I can and would absolutely love a first, but for now I'm just aiming to get through the year (or term, or first few days or weeks) and go from there. Any or all replies are welcome on here, comments, questions, whatever, please keep them vaguely well-intentioned though! I'll get back to you as and when I can.

No idea who to tag but I will sinfonietta and CheeseIsVeg because I think they'd shoot me otherwise If anyone else wants me to in later posts, let me know and I'll try and remember

ReputationRep:
    Yaaay! I'm so excited to follow this. Can't wait to hear how it goes! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck and well done for deciding to start uni. That was a very brave decision considering your health. I wish you success in your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Wish you the best of luck!

What will you be studying & at which University?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by furryface12)
    I've been thinking about this for a while and with some gentle (ish ) persuasion from a couple of people on here I'm giving it a go

I'm finally about to start uni after a few years out of education, and both excited and very scared! This blog will serve as the normal grow your grades, but also a kind of freshers blog and in particular how it's going health and chronic illness-wise as this is going to be a massive thing for me.

More about that...

I have chronic fatigue syndrome, a form of dysautonomia that affects how my body adjusts to things like standing up and temperature changes, and various other conditions including depression. I'm also dyspraxic and under investigation for some other stuff. These collectively mean that the last four and a half years (ish) have been a bit of a disaster, but I'm getting better at managing them all and ready to give this a go. All that said, I'm still not really well enough, and very aware that this could well all just go horribly wrong.

So, that's me. I'm going to try and update this about weekly and see how it goes. In terms of grades I really need a 2:1 overall if I can and would absolutely love a first, but for now I'm just aiming to get through the year (or term, or first few days or weeks) and go from there. Any or all replies are welcome on here, comments, questions, whatever, please keep them vaguely well-intentioned though! I'll get back to you as and when I can.

No idea who to tag but I will sinfonietta and CheeseIsVeg because I think they'd shoot me otherwise If anyone else wants me to in later posts, let me know and I'll try and remember
    :heart: LOVE THIS! Following and supporting u every step of the way <3
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Subbing :lovehug:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ahh replies

(Original post by sinfonietta)
    Yaaay! I'm so excited to follow this. Can't wait to hear how it goes! :hugs:
    Thank you!

(Original post by Taradiddle)
    Good luck and well done for deciding to start uni. That was a very brave decision considering your health. I wish you success in your degree.
    Thanks still not convinced it's not a completely terrible idea and everyone seems to think I'm mad but that's me for you thank you

(Original post by NotKidding)
    Wish you the best of luck!

What will you be studying & at which University?
    Thank you! I'll be studying psychology

(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    :heart: LOVE THIS! Following and supporting u every step of the way <3
    (Original post by Deyesy)
    Subbing :lovehug:
    Thanks both

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! If you need any help let me know. :hugs:
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    So in for this, obviously
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If anyone else wants me to in later posts, let me know and I'll try and remember
    :lurk:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Pathway)
    Good luck! If you need any help let me know. :hugs:
    Thank you

(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    So in for this, obviously
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    :lurk:
    :grouphugs:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Only just found this - definitely keeping updated, good luck lovely!! :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It actually just let me rep all of you! But I'll do a pre-uni update in a couple of days not actually decided what format I'm going to use yet but will work it out at some point (/probably stalk some of yours for ideas )
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Only just seen this! Please include me in any tag lists :penguinhug:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    # 0 Pre-uni update!

So horrified at myself for an update 0 :lol: buttt, first (ish) update is here! This is kind of covering the last couple of months generally, or academic parts anyway. I'm heading off tomorrow, which is terrifying! But I think I'm all packed, and sat with the dog and my boyfriend, and probably about as ready as I'll ever be.

Academic
    For those that don't know I'll be studying psychology, which I never actually have before! So over the last couple of months I've been reading as much psych based stuff as I can, which isn't too difficult as I love it, my concentration is awful though so that can be a challenge. I've done a lot of applied stuff on TSR and other volunteering but it's just trying to work out the theory behind what I've done in practice, in order to move forward in the actual practice. I've read a fair bit of the psychologist magazine, an introduction to psychology book (Dr Sandi Mann's if anyone's interested- it's really good), and a few other bits. I've also looked up a bit about different types of referencing and academic writing, that's going to take a fair bit of getting my head round though.

Health
    This week's probably better not mentioned, I've been an anxious mess and mood and energy levels up and down like yoyos- not a good sign for me. But it's to be expected and I have actively tried to balance myself out where I can and also work out how I can try to at uni. Going to have to really go against my instincts on just throwing myself into everything as I'll just crash and burn, going to be hard to find a new balance but hopefully I'll get there. If I'm honest, I'm just proud of myself for getting this far, and the support I've had from people on here, in real life and from the uni before I've even arrived is amazing. I just need to try my best and see what happens, also try not to beat myself up too much if it doesn't work out.

Social
    Had facebook messages coming out of my ears, I've never been so popular! But people in my accommodation seem lovely, one in particular who I think (hope) is going to be living opposite me. People seem friendly enough on my course and in general too, struggling to get through the cliques that seem to have formed already a bit but that's nothing new. I'm moving in a day early so hopefully that will help spread things out a little bit. Going to need all the help I can get I think.

And last but not least... Something that made me smile this week

Name:  12105947_1015756215112768_6717420457889317620_n.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  22.9 KB

It's something my band would actually do and as I spend half my life winding up my boyfriend about playing bassoon it made me laugh quite a lot. I also can't not mention Anon_98's lovely message, it actually made my week and took me so so long to write a very pathetic reply to

That feels like it got a bit long and rambly! But that's my first update done, pre-uni update. Sorry about the lack of formatting, I packed my laptop and on the old app! Any comments or suggestions welcome, I'll be working this out as I go a bit I think so bear with me. Thanks all of you too for calming me down over the last few weeks, well in general really, you know who you are. I'm not always the best at saying thank you but I really do appreciate it so much now to try and actually get some sleep!

ReputationRep:
    I also can't not mention Anon_98's lovely message, it actually made my week and took me so so long to write a very pathetic reply to
    Wasn't pathetic in the slightest and so flattering to hear. xx

Hope today went well !!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hope today has been good :penguinhug:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Subbing :cube:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hope today's gone well and you're starting to settle in! Take things slowly, it's a big change!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Subbed, good luck! :woo:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.