The Student Room Group

Furry gets a grade! Hopefully...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by furryface12
#3 Never know what to call these...

Creative name I know :tongue: but week three done already! Scary how fast it's going.

Academic
I've not really got a lot done this week :redface: been absolutely knackered from the essay and stuff and it's just not happened. But it's another week done, I've been to all my lectures and stuff (just) and fortunately there's not been anything massive I've had to do. That said, there are a lot of little bits and there are some much bigger things going to be set from monday, so I should probably make a start on getting a few done :colondollar:

Health
Not the best, but it could've been a lot worse so not complaining. Slightly bothered about how long it's going to last, I've been running on empty for so long and at some point it's all going to catch up with me. But cross that bridge when it comes to it I guess... Doing fairly well at managing myself when I can at least. Had a productive GP appointment yesterday once I'd finally managed to get there so that's good. Not convinced how much my mentor's going to help, it just made me far more stressed this week but we'll see. I need to see disability at some point anyway so I'll give it another week and maybe mention it there.

Social
Not done anything specific but I've kept chatting to people bits which I guess is good? Flatmates and people I'm on my course with. I need to get better with people on my floor, think they think I'm really rude cus always just awkward and too slow to understand stuff but yeah :s-smilie: seeing some people from home for an event tonight so that should be nice :smile:

Something that made me smile
@sinfonietta winning grow your grades! I was so torn between yours and @Protostar, they were both amazing. But eeee! Also just random acts of kindness from various people- some bigger, some just saying hi. I was in one of the campus shops having a really rough day and the person on the till was so nice to me. It was all of a five second conversation but it made such a big difference.

Hope everyone's had a good week :smile: hi to MR, Curanga and anyone else lurking or following!
Enjoy tonight.:hello:
Week 4

Thank god this week is over :redface:

Academic
I wasn't going to say it hasn't really happened, but I guess bits have. I got my essay back which had useful feedback and she said it was a good first attempt so yeah. We've been set another one which I haven't started yet. Missed a couple of hours of labs and things, I need to catch up on them, didn't really get anything done at all until last night but was productive then at least. Just knackered, no idea how I'm going to do this tbh.

Health
Yeah, no :s-smilie: I let myself be ill which I guess is good? And that it at least started catching up with me, just been running on empty for weeks. Mentally been variable but could be worse, got some decisions to make on stuff which is just :s-smilie: that and pain being horrible. Mentoring was better yesterday, we're slowly starting to understand each other a bit more I just need to let her actually help me somehow. She seemed kind of worried about me by the end but don't know. Just can't cope. Home this weekend nd will go talk to disability next week, don't know what they can really do but hey.

Social
Concert was good, not really done anything since unless you count chatting to people in a 5am fire alarm. Will try when I'm back.

Can't even think of anything :redface: seeing my dog I guess?

Sorry, kind of rubbish update. I'll try and do better next week, hoping home and a partial reading week will help a little bit and just the break from things, even if I do have a load of work to catch up on and do. I guess overall it's still going okay just exhausted and ill and way too much pain and yeah. Hope you guys are doing alright
Week 4

Thank god this week is over :redface:

Academic
I wasn't going to say it hasn't really happened, but I guess bits have. I got my essay back which had useful feedback and she said it was a good first attempt so yeah. We've been set another one which I haven't started yet. Missed a couple of hours of labs and things, I need to catch up on them, didn't really get anything done at all until last night but was productive then at least. Just knackered, no idea how I'm going to do this tbh.

Health
Yeah, no :s-smilie: I let myself be ill which I guess is good? And that it at least started catching up with me, just been running on empty for weeks. Mentally been variable but could be worse, got some decisions to make on stuff which is just :s-smilie: that and pain being horrible. Mentoring was better yesterday, we're slowly starting to understand each other a bit more I just need to let her actually help me somehow. She seemed kind of worried about me by the end but don't know. Just can't cope. Home this weekend nd will go talk to disability next week, don't know what they can really do but hey.

Social
Concert was good, not really done anything since unless you count chatting to people in a 5am fire alarm. Will try when I'm back.

Can't even think of anything :redface: seeing my dog I guess?

Sorry, kind of rubbish update. I'll try and do better next week, hoping home and a partial reading week will help a little bit and just the break from things, even if I do have a load of work to catch up on and do. I guess overall it's still going okay just exhausted and ill and way too much pain and yeah. Hope you guys are doing alright

:console::hugs:
Not a rubbish update at all! Sorry it's been a difficult week but glad you and mentor are starting to understand each other a bit. Sorry you're in so much pain. Well done for allowing yourself to be ill, I know that's not easy for you (or for many people, really!) :penguinhug:
Original post by CoolCavy
:console::hugs:

:redface: :penguinhug:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Not a rubbish update at all! Sorry it's been a difficult week but glad you and mentor are starting to understand each other a bit. Sorry you're in so much pain. Well done for allowing yourself to be ill, I know that's not easy for you (or for many people, really!) :penguinhug:

Thanks. Feeling a bit better about things today, need to just take each day as it comes I think and see what happens. Hope you're alright :hugs:
Week five[/u]

Sorry this is so late! But I've had a much better week this week, albeit an up and down one. A few days at home really helped and some other things too.

Academic
I've written my first assessed essay! 50% of the module so it better be good... Haven't actually submitted it yet but I will do later. That's pretty much what I've been doing, submitted a short coursework assignment too and worked out more what I'm meant to be doing for a presentation in a few weeks but yeah. Got quite a few things I'm a little bit behind on but hopefully I'll have more time to work my way through them this week :smile:

Health
Still struggling with this. I have a meeting with disability services tomorrow to see if there's anything else we can be doing but I'm not holding out much hope for it tbh. At least I can get my exam arrangements sorted/confirmed hopefully. Generally starting to come to terms with the fact that I may not be able to continue here, or at least in the current format, but will see how it goes. Least I've tried I guess :s-smilie: I'm also coming off one of my meds as the new doctors are going nuts at how many I'm on, who knows what that's going to do but hey.

Social
Done pretty well this week! Went back to my band at home the other day and the uni one too. Actually starting to feel like I fit in a bit there now and chatted to people :smile: then today I went into a lecture, sat with people I recognised, talked to them *and* didn't panic when there were people either side of me in the middle of the row! It sounds so stupid and there was only one person between me and the end but that's massive for me. There's a course social tomorrow which I'm going to try and go to, see how that goes :smile:

So many things with my boyfriend this weekend :colondollar: also just my dog being an idiot when I was home, i've missed her stupidity :lol:

How was everyone's weekend? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Week four

Sorry this is so late! But I've had a much better week this week, albeit an up and down one. A few days at home really helped and some other things too.

Academic
I've written my first assessed essay! 50% of the module so it better be good... Haven't actually submitted it yet but I will do later. That's pretty much what I've been doing, submitted a short coursework assignment too and worked out more what I'm meant to be doing for a presentation in a few weeks but yeah. Got quite a few things I'm a little bit behind on but hopefully I'll have more time to work my way through them this week :smile:

Health
Still struggling with this. I have a meeting with disability services tomorrow to see if there's anything else we can be doing but I'm not holding out much hope for it tbh. At least I can get my exam arrangements sorted/confirmed hopefully. Generally starting to come to terms with the fact that I may not be able to continue here, or at least in the current format, but will see how it goes. Least I've tried I guess :s-smilie: I'm also coming off one of my meds as the new doctors are going nuts at how many I'm on, who knows what that's going to do but hey.

Social
Done pretty well this week! Went back to my band at home the other day and the uni one too. Actually starting to feel like I fit in a bit there now and chatted to people :smile: then today I went into a lecture, sat with people I recognised, talked to them *and* didn't panic when there were people either side of me in the middle of the row! It sounds so stupid and there was only one person between me and the end but that's massive for me. There's a course social tomorrow which I'm going to try and go to, see how that goes :smile:

So many things with my boyfriend this weekend :colondollar: also just my dog being an idiot when I was home, i've missed her stupidity :lol:

Seems like things are definitely better for you this week :smile: Know how you feel about the module though, my coursework was only 16% (labs ftw :woo: ) but it's still nerve-wracking :redface:

As for health - slow and steady. I know the temptation to start uni and have everything fixed immediately, but it's a process. What do you mean you might not be able to stay there though? Hope it gets sorted for you whatever it is :hug:

I miss my dog now thank you :rofl:
Week four

Academic

Health

Social

Doesn't sound stupid at all! I'm proud of you're doing atm. I know things are very tough for you in many ways but I think you're a real trooper :penguinhug:
Doesn't sound stupid at all! I'm proud of you're doing atm. I know things are very tough for you in many ways but I think you're a real trooper :penguinhug:

this :yep: well said TLG and well done furry :hugs:
Original post by CastCuraga
Seems like things are definitely better for you this week :smile: Know how you feel about the module though, my coursework was only 16% (labs ftw :woo: ) but it's still nerve-wracking :redface:

As for health - slow and steady. I know the temptation to start uni and have everything fixed immediately, but it's a process. What do you mean you might not be able to stay there though? Hope it gets sorted for you whatever it is :hug:

I miss my dog now thank you :rofl:

Yep :smile: yeah my coursework was 10%, also a lab :tongue: essay was 50% of that module though so yeah. Slightly bigger :redface:

That's very true. And just that this isn't sustainable, at all. I'm at my absolute max to just attend the lectures and doing nothing in between except the assessed stuff. At some point I'm just going to crash and burn and that's before I've got near exam time or any time with more than one deadline, or even within a couple of weeks of each other at this rate. But yeah. How not to manage a chronic illness lesson #1 :rolleyes: Anyway... hope you're doing okay :redface:

Original post by CoolCavy
this :yep: well said TLG and well done furry :hugs:

Thanks both :redface:
Yep yeah my coursework was 10%, also a lab essay was 50% of that module though so yeah. Slightly bigger That's very true. And just that this isn't sustainable, at all. I'm at my absolute max to just attend the lectures and doing nothing in between except the assessed stuff. At some point I'm just going to crash and burn and that's before I've got near exam time or any time with more than one deadline, or even within a couple of weeks of each other at this rate. But yeah. How not to manage a chronic illness lesson #1 Anyway... hope you're doing okay Thanks both

Any sort of illness is going be an absolute arse pain to manage while studying and the fact you're doing this a bloody good go is brilliant! Congrats on getting the essay done!

When uni was worried about me burning out they were able to make absence allowances but backed me up with a notetaker who would be able to take notes for me if I was in (shoddy concentration ftw!) or if I didn't make it in at all. They can also look at changes to assessment, moving exams around a little for you or making them vanish completely. If the opportunity isn't equal, then that's when there's issue.

They knew that exams made me severely unwell, so I wrote additional extended essays about particular topics or took practical assessments instead. Work with your uni and be super honest and you'll rock this!
I respect you so much! After all I've been through I have to keep reminding myself that there's other people who have it worse than me - sorry if this sounds cheesy but thank you for sharing your inspiring journey and I hope everything turns out how you'd like :h: Looking forward to seeing what's to come on this blog :smile:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Any sort of illness is going be an absolute arse pain to manage while studying and the fact you're doing this a bloody good go is brilliant! Congrats on getting the essay done!

When uni was worried about me burning out they were able to make absence allowances but backed me up with a notetaker who would be able to take notes for me if I was in (shoddy concentration ftw!) or if I didn't make it in at all. They can also look at changes to assessment, moving exams around a little for you or making them vanish completely. If the opportunity isn't equal, then that's when there's issue.

They knew that exams made me severely unwell, so I wrote additional extended essays about particular topics or took practical assessments instead. Work with your uni and be super honest and you'll rock this!

Thanks :redface: they've offered me absence allowances, I'm very wary of there only beingmore to do when I come back then but will do it if I need to. Tbh I could do a fiat amounts from.home short term and keep up vaguely that way. Changing assessments is a very good thought too, I was talking about that with my mentor this morning and I'm going to try and postpone my other big essay to next term if I can. I'm not sure it'll be enough but that releases a little bit of pressure at least if I can. We also wrote an email to send to my tutor about what's going on, just need to actually find the courage to send it now :tongue: but I will eventually. Feel you on the concentration thing, attention span of a dead goldfish atm :colondollar:

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
I respect you so much! After all I've been through I have to keep reminding myself that there's other people who have it worse than me - sorry if this sounds cheesy but thank you for sharing your inspiring journey and I hope everything turns out how you'd like :h: Looking forward to seeing what's to come on this blog :smile:

Not sure I deserve all that at all but thank you! Nice to know my ramblings might help someone in some way, it's partly why I'm doing it tbh. Are you doing a blog this time? :smile:

Will do a proper update tomorrow or Saturday :smile: but halfway to Christmas now! Or will be after my lecture in the morning anyway.

Not sure I deserve all that at all but thank you! Nice to know my ramblings might help someone in some way, it's partly why I'm doing it tbh. Are you doing a blog this time? :smile:

You're too modest :cute: Yeah I started a blog pretty recently because I've been so addicted to reading these GYGs, and it's kinda motivated me to create my own :biggrin: Hoping I keep up with the posting :bigsmile:
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
You're too modest :cute: Yeah I started a blog pretty recently because I've been so addicted to reading these GYGs, and it's kinda motivated me to create my own :biggrin: Hoping I keep up with the posting :bigsmile:

That's a fair enough reason! I'll keep an eye out for that :smile: you can do it!
That's a fair enough reason! I'll keep an eye out for that :smile: you can do it!

thank you!! 💕
Week 6

Halfway to Christmas! :xmas::santa: busy week this week, not sure in a good way or a bad really but yeah. It's done and I have a free weekend for once, at the moment anyway. Need to arrange to do group work with people but trying to ignore that atm :colondollar:

Academic
Not a lot to say here. Submitted my essay, been to lectures, went to a couple of extra bits which count towards my course although I'd have probably gone anyway tbh. One I shouldn't have done but yeah. Really need to write a presentation and actually try to catch up on stuff a bit :redface: that's tomorrow's job. Oh and got 58 on my first coursework assignment. Which isn't the best but does the job :smile:

Health
Pretty much what I said the other day, just have no idea. Struggling and pushing through and so much pain and heading for a crash. Saw disability support, my mentor and tutor so know what my options are now but they mostly just confirmed what I already know. Just have to take each day as it comes and see what happens I guess, the idea of surviving the same amount of time again before Christmas (which I struggle with anyway, plus exams in January) feels virtually impossible but yeah. See how it goes :s-smilie:

Social
Said most of it above but I have actually vaguely done stuff this week :smile: went to a society social, albeit briefly, spoke to people more in lectures and some of the second and third years at the other events too. It's odd thinking they're actually younger than me, they seem so old and mature :redface:

@CoolCavy's descriptions of macaroni cheese and aldi bran flakes :tongue:

How's everyone's week (or few days) been? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Well done on the socialising and still speaking to people! Sounds like work for the course is going OK too. It's tough that there's always more stuff to be doing, isn't it? :s-smilie: Cheering you on from London :rave:
Can only admire your strength in doing social stuff and focusing on work even if you feel you're close to a crash. It's genuinely inspiring :yep:

Cheering you from Hel- ....Cardiff :bubbles:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending