The Student Room Group

Extremely bad performance at gcse!!!

So i did my iGCSEs and got realllly bad grades. 1As, 4Bs, 3Cs. I will be applying to universities this year to study mechanical engineering. I really wanna study at the University of Manchester. Provided i get 3A predicted grades. What are my chances of getting an offer?
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
So i did my iGCSEs and got realllly bad grades. 1As, 4Bs, 3Cs. I will be applying to universities this year to study mechanical engineering. I really wanna study at the University of Manchester. Provided i get 3A predicted grades. What are my chances of getting an offer?

Heyy, your GCSEs are really not bad!!! You just think that because of the standards on TSR haha! Your best bet would be to do a BTEC in engineering or do an apprenticeship which will get you level 3 qualifications. I promise you that you can get in with a BTEC although you may need a maths GCSE at A grade or above as well! I know someone who did the BTEC route and got into RG universities! I hope it goes well for you! Also unis don't really care about your GCSEs as long as you have 5 Cs including math and English! You may need at least a B in maths to do engineering though!
Original post by midwife101
Heyy, your GCSEs are really not bad!!! You just think that because of the standards on TSR haha! Your best bet would be to do a BTEC in engineering or do an apprenticeship which will get you level 3 qualifications. I promise you that you can get in with a BTEC although you may need a maths GCSE at A grade or above as well! I know someone who did the BTEC route and got into RG universities! I hope it goes well for you! Also unis don't really care about your GCSEs as long as you have 5 Cs including math and English! You may need at least a B in maths to do engineering though!

We don't have BTEC and apprenticeships where i live. I don't live in the UK i am an international student :frown:. Yeah, my maths was a B. Thanks a lot tho! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

What did you get for AS maths?
Original post by Muttley79
What did you get for AS maths?

We don't do AS levels anymore. We do linear A levels :frown:
Original post by mbatshuayi
Bro trust me bang out the AS as long as u have mad predictions u can get where u want got faith in u my bredrin

Thanks a lot mate! :smile:
Why are people going on about AS Maths?

Btw your GCSE's meet the min requirement. Others will have better but your predicteds, reference, ps and rest of your application will also be considered. Just read the entrance requirement.
People who brag about their grades on TSR are the worst. You've done fine. I would say good luck on your A levels but I hate the term 'good luck'. Work hard and do your best. 👍🏻
Reply 8

I got 1A, 3Bs, and 6Cs, and I still got an offer from Exeter as I was predicted AAA and got AAAB in my AS-levels.

Do not worry! :hugs:
Reply 9
We don't have BTEC and apprenticeships where i live. I don't live in the UK i am an international student :frown:. Yeah, my maths was a B. Thanks a lot tho! :smile:

check international foundation years
Original post by Michiyo
I got 1A, 3Bs, and 6Cs, and I still got an offer from Exeter as I was predicted AAA and got AAAB in my AS-levels.

Do not worry! :hugs:

:smile:
Original post by Joe_MacDougall
People who brag about their grades on TSR are the worst. You've done fine. I would say good luck on your A levels but I hate the term 'good luck'. Work hard and do your best. 👍🏻

Thanks dude :smile:
Original post by Happycow123
Certi advice. Big up king of TSR🙏🏼

Yes my drilla
We don't do AS levels anymore. We do linear A levels :frown:

How come? If your in Year 13 ie 'applying this year' you should have taken AS in June?
How come? If your in Year 13 ie 'applying this year' you should have taken AS in June?

Nah, our school has stopped doing AS exams. Apparently it "wastes our precious time". So instead we do both AS and A2 in one sitting
Nah, our school has stopped doing AS exams. Apparently it "wastes our precious time". So instead we do both AS and A2 in one sitting

What? Maths is still modular - are they crazy? It puts you at a disadvantage too in applying to uni - a grade A at AS would have really helped your application.
What? Maths is still modular - are they crazy? It puts you at a disadvantage too in applying to uni - a grade A at AS would have really helped your application.

Yeah ik :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending