The Student Room Group

Do I really need it...

I'm starting university in 2 weeks and I decided that I wouldn't buy a laptop for my course.

My question is, how important is a laptop/computer for an economics course? Is it doable without a laptop? My way of thinking was that if I don't take a laptop it will incentivise me to be organised + procrastinate less + I can free up more time to do other things which I'm interested in such as going to events, society, badminton, etc. Furthermore, if I need to type something up I can draft it up on a piece of paper and then go to the university library and type it up.

But yeah, is it a necessity?
Original post by Shoot
I'm starting university in 2 weeks and I decided that I wouldn't buy a laptop for my course.

My question is, how important is a laptop/computer for an economics course? Is it doable without a laptop? My way of thinking was that if I don't take a laptop it will incentivise me to be organised + procrastinate less + I can free up more time to do other things which I'm interested in such as going to events, society, badminton, etc. Furthermore, if I need to type something up I can draft it up on a piece of paper and then go to the university library and type it up.

But yeah, is it a necessity?

It's pretty much a necessity - what about if you need to finish an essay late at night but the library is closed? What if all the computers are taken?

Also, most universities now have online reading lists, with many of the essential books/articles available online, so if you can't get to a computer, because they're all taken (very common), you won't be able to do the reading.

Almost all essays have to be typed too, so you're making a big rod for your ownback.

Anyway, even if you don't have a laptop, you can procrastinate on your phone.
Reply 2
I definitely would buy a laptop. There aren't always computers available so if you have your own then at least you know you can do the work and edit it ASAP if you see a glaring error before submission (which is mostly online). If you don't want to procrastinate, that's self-discipline/routine.

Plus like, let's be honest, laptops are an entertainment hub as well as a place to work. If you're living out (which I assume you are given that you reference your university's library) you're going to need entertainment/a place to work when you're not doing other activities or out with friends/visiting family.
You do a lot of essays in university, many of which need to be typed. Your hand would hurt pretty quick from handwriting so much and you cannot always get a computer when you desperately need to finish a piece of work. The computers will be used up near a deadline too and you may need to find some research online, so I would say you need to have your own laptop/computer.

You can still do sports and things when you have a computer; it just sounds like you don't have enough self control to leave the computer to go out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending