The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Very glad that someone finally started a thread for Leeds A100 haha I didn't know how to do it! I'll be applying for 2018 entry, I know Leeds particularly look for well rounded individuals, but does anyone like me feel like they may not have enough extra curriculars?
Reply 2
I applied last year. Rejection pre interview. I am planning of applying this year. Leeds do look for well rounded individuals. I think this is where I fell down last year. In terms of extra cirriculars. I think we all do extra things it's just a matter of putting it across in the ps and selling it well. What are your stats out of Interest.
I see yeah. I have 5A* and 4A at GCSE, A*A*A predictions and an A in AS maths. Haven't sat my UKCAT or BMAT. In terms of extra curricular I have my own craft business and play badminton, not much. What were your stats like last year?
Reply 4
As a pharmacy graduate a distinction in mpharm. A in a level chemistry. 4a* and 5 A at gcses. Your academics are amazing tbh. I think you'll score full marks on the academics. My extras are lacking but Ibe built on them. You preparing for the bmat and where else you applying.?
Original post by Window16
As a pharmacy graduate a distinction in mpharm. A in a level chemistry. 4a* and 5 A at gcses. Your academics are amazing tbh. I think you'll score full marks on the academics. My extras are lacking but Ibe built on them. You preparing for the bmat and where else you applying.?
do you think? I've seen so many people with like 9 A* and getting a pre interview rejection - did you ask for feedback on why you were rejected? Seems a little harsh! I haven't started preparing for bmat yet I know I should but my ukcat is taking so much time and I won't be finished until the 2nd of october. I'm also going to be applying to Liverpool, Sheffield and HYMS. Leeds will be my only bmat uni! You?
Hi,

Predicted: A*A*A

Currently achieved: AS maths grade A, A2 Polish grade A, EPQ grade A

GCSES: 4A* 6A and a B

Work Experience: 1 week pharmacy, 3 care homes, polish school as a teaching assistant for a month, 2 day shadowing placement at a hospital

Anyone know what my chances are looking like for Leeds? Also, what other BMAT universities should I consider based on my academics?
Reply 7
Im applying to the BMAT unis, not fond of the UKCAT, my PS and BMAT score last year let me down, hopefully improve the two and go in with a strong application

Original post by itsgeorgiapaige
do you think? I've seen so many people with like 9 A* and getting a pre interview rejection - did you ask for feedback on why you were rejected? Seems a little harsh! I haven't started preparing for bmat yet I know I should but my ukcat is taking so much time and I won't be finished until the 2nd of october. I'm also going to be applying to Liverpool, Sheffield and HYMS. Leeds will be my only bmat uni! You?
Reply 8
WOW, amazing academics and work exp,, hows bmat prep going?

Original post by LRxS
Leeds look for the following in the personal statement;
Motivation and insight to study medicine
Social awareness, i.e. do you have life experience outside of your immediate school/friends/family?
Have you taken on roles with responsibility and/or leadership?
Interests and Achievements, including those not directly relevant to medicine
---in particular they want to see that you are able to relax and de-stress and have healthy ways of doing that, hence the extracurricular stuff.

I hope that's helpful!

In terms of academics, I have 8A*s, 2As and a B at GCSE, 3As (and a D but shhhh) at AS, and am predicted A*A*A in Biology, History and Chemistry.

Work experience:
15 months part time work in a pharmacy >250 hours
Research internship with a biotech company >120 hours & work 7.5 a week for them still
4 days shadowing in A&E ~24 hours
3.5 days shadowing a GP ~23 hours

In total >415 hours, equivalent to >10 working weeks

Only thing I haven't managed to get is care homes, but not for lack of trying. I tried to get Riding for the Disabled as well. However I do quite a lot of "community involved" work at the pharmacy and my dad has some super weird health stuff so I'm hoping it's enough.

I'm also applying to Birmingham, Nottingham and either Cardiff or Bristol as well. I really wanted to apply to either Barts or UCL but I just can't afford london. My UKCAT was 763 average with SJT band 1.
Reply 9
respectable academics , you have a good chance at leeds by the sounds of it, where else did you want to apply?

Original post by kevinspl2000
Hi,

Predicted: A*A*A

Currently achieved: AS maths grade A, A2 Polish grade A, EPQ grade A

GCSES: 4A* 6A and a B

Work Experience: 1 week pharmacy, 3 care homes, polish school as a teaching assistant for a month, 2 day shadowing placement at a hospital

Anyone know what my chances are looking like for Leeds? Also, what other BMAT universities should I consider based on my academics?
respectable academics , you have a good chance at leeds by the sounds of it, where else did you want to apply?

I was thinking UCL as my alternative BMAT option and I can't decide. I have 3 UKCAT universities: Bristol, Keele, University of East Anglia
Reply 11
WOW, amazing academics and work exp,, hows bmat prep going?

Thank you! Still not sure I'll actually get the grades this year, given that I scraped my AS results, but fingers crossed.... I'm struggling with BMAT prep tbh, mainly the physics.
Reply 12
Same. Physics has always been a weak spot for myself. I'm just reading online guide and practice. I think it's 6 to 8 questions per area. But just prepare. Prepare. Prepare. And hopefully the rest works out ok

QUOTE=LRxS;73812074]Thank you! Still not sure I'll actually get the grades this year, given that I scraped my AS results, but fingers crossed.... I'm struggling with BMAT prep tbh, mainly the physics.
Reply 13
Ucl is one option. My advice would be to read the entry requirements for each uni and which ever uni fits your stats the best. Go for that

QUOTE=kevinspl2000;73807796]I was thinking UCL as my alternative BMAT option and I can't decide. I have 3 UKCAT universities: Bristol, Keele, University of East Anglia
how do they score your gcses and a levels ( achieved and predicted) ?
Reply 15
Hi! I was wondering if more A* predicitons gives you a higher score than A predictions. I have 4A*s and 6As at IGCSE. 2As at AS. My GCSEs are a little weak but I also have 3A* predictions for A2. Will this make up for it or do they only want to make sure you meet he minimum AAA?
Reply 16
Original post by iramh_
Hi! I was wondering if more A* predicitons gives you a higher score than A predictions. I have 4A*s and 6As at IGCSE. 2As at AS. My GCSEs are a little weak but I also have 3A* predictions for A2. Will this make up for it or do they only want to make sure you meet he minimum AAA?

Leeds do not value an A* higher than an A (at A2 anyway, I'm assuming they do for GCSE). So as far as they're concerned, AAA and A*A*A* are exactly the same - the A* gives you no advantage. Likewise, A*AB would not get you a place, as they don't count it as equal to AAA.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi was wondering if with my current stats I should apply to leeds?
GCSEs 1A* 8As
A level predictions: A*A*A
Would it be possible for a good BMAT score ( and what would that be in regards to leeds) to compensate for my poor GCSEs?
If you already achieved AAA for A level does that help you in anyway?
gcse 1A*10A1B
AS (irrelevant I hope as I completed my A levels already but BCCD :colondollar:)
BMAT - TBA

How bad are my chances?
My PS is Ok i guess..
Reply 19
Original post by bobwibbles
If you already achieved AAA for A level does that help you in anyway?
gcse 1A*10A1B
AS (irrelevant I hope as I completed my A levels already but BCCD :colondollar:)
BMAT - TBA

How bad are my chances?
My PS is Ok i guess..

Based on achieved AAA at A2, you should score full points on the academic selection criteria, I'm fairly certain. You meet the minimum GCSE requirements by a long way.
If you can't ake your PS more than "ok" and you should have a good chance unless the BMAT goes horrifically, which it won't if you prepare well :smile:
Leeds have excellent published resources on what they look for in a personal statement - use this!

Latest