The Student Room Group

Switching a language in my degree?

Next month I'll be starting French and Spanish at Cambridge. I got an A* in Spanish at A level and only an A in French (but I genuinely think I'm better at French just the exam was terrible). I've been having thoughts about switching to ab initio German instead of Spanish. I visited Germany and Austria this summer and loved both of them; they're places I could imagine myself living in. I've never been very interested in visiting Hispanophone countries and I'm becoming quite frustrated at not being able to understand Spanish people speaking in public (that's my fault as I haven't been doing any listening).

Thinking of job and future prospects too, I think I'd be more likely to find a career in a German speaking country as they seem to be powerhouses of Europe now. Of course this isn't a big concern but given my mind is completely ambiguous I guess it counts for something.

I haven't thought about it in depth but I'm not sure what factors I can actually consider. Do you think it would be a waste to stop Spanish now? I'm getting a bit bored and really want a challenge with a new language. Hopefully I'd be able to continue Spanish in my own time but don't know if it would be viable.

Any advice? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending