?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
describe the main functions of political parties in the uk today
Zillaabonbillaa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Parties create policy-Members try to identify which are the most important issues facing a society; whether they are economic, social or international, they also consider multiple options to solve them. Whatever the party decides becomes party policy.

Published manifestos-a document that outlines the parties policies, even when theres no election, they still look for new policies.

They're an organisational structure needed to form a gov; winning elections and forming a gov requires lots of planning. Gov will work hard to keep mps united and organised, eg the whipping system.

Parties provide a link between parliament and the people- they all have constituencies with an mp from their local area. Local activists regularly meet their mp to highlight concerns in the area and this mps needs to maintain the link between voters and the elected office.

A party's ideologyhelps with voters who dont understand politics make choices as they'll make assumptions about what policies they may enact if elected.
Nurseries for future politicians-many mps have previously worked or volunteered for their local or national party organisation, giving them majority of their political knowledge.
Parties allow people to become active in their areas politics and help their local mp.
Aggregating society desires-people want different things from the government. It's the parties task to bring together these competing interests and create a policy programme that pleases as many as possible. The result of this will show up in elections. The electoral math demands it.

EG TB "tough on crime"- stricter punishments for offenders was the answer to rising crime and others felt it was poverty. Labour appealed to both views.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (194)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (560)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (430)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (530)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (190)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (232)
6.03%
Loneliness (323)
8.4%
Financial worries (141)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (151)
3.93%
Exposure to negative news/social media (172)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (218)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (343)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (361)
9.39%

Watched Threads