The Student Room Group

Getting around the experience quota in job requirements?

How can you realistically get around the practical job experience quota in IT related jobs?

More often than not (generally speaking) I see a whole manner of jobs now requiring "2+ years experience in an industry/agency or corp environment" for just 'Junior/Entry' level roles.

Now, I have been applying for entry-grad level roles within creative design and also junior dev roles (as I want to transition into app/web development). However, I don't have the solid commercial experience they want (I didn't do a placement year at uni).

I have a BA in a design related subject, a portfolio, and some freelance experience on an ad hoc basis (volunteering) on project by project basis. I have somewhat brief experience with HTML & CSS, and so I just tend to play that up in my applications, with regards applying to dev roles.
Albeit I'm a beginner by all accounts, I just studied one module in uni, but also picked a html book up as a youngster and learned bits.

I also got onto a MA in app related development to start end of the month (however, there are no industry placements) as it is by distance learning.

How can I go about working around this problem? Is volunteering the only solution, short of employers taking me on for a month or two?

Also, I work full time in an unrelated field, so financially unable to quit my current job to go work for X company for 6 month unpaid internship.

How can I get around this?

[I'm currently still learning Java, brushing up on HTML-CSS and attempting to start Javascript.]
Reply 1
I work in support (large Unix systems) rather than design or development so can't comment for those areas but certainly in my area I can't see you getting much of a look in, probably Dev as well by the Dev guys I work with.

Have you considered an apprenticeship? Generally we only look for decent GCSEs and a good attitude in the company I work for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending