What do ya'll think of AQA Philosophy?

Watch this thread
Tartaglia
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm learning from home and I can't find a decent place to do my physics practical so I'm thinking of taking on AQA philosophy instead saying as its all exam based. I'm also doing Mathematics and Further Mathematics.

Does anyone have any book recommendations? I'm already extremely interested in philosophy already and have many books by Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche, and Kant etc.
Name:  harry_potter_is_gay_****.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  91.5 KB
Pic unrelated
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tartaglia)
I'm learning from home and I can't find a decent place to do my physics practical so I'm thinking of taking on AQA philosophy instead saying as its all exam based. I'm also doing Mathematics and Further Mathematics.

Does anyone have any book recommendations? I'm already extremely interested in philosophy already and have many books by Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche, and Kant etc.
Pic unrelated
lol nice pic
Which study level?
Tartaglia
Rep:
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
lol nice pic
Which study level?
A-Level
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
A-Level
ok so let me bump this to see if anyone has any strong opinions on AQA A level Philosophy :bump:
tbh I'd say go for it if you've had a look at the course content and what it involves and like the sound of it
Viniiiiii
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Pic unrelated
I'm doing the exact same thing, I'm learning A level maths and further maths (Edexcel). I plan to take the exams for a level maths next year and further maths and philosophy the following year. I chose philosophy since it requires you to learn concepts and apply them to questions with arguments. I recently contacted AQA since there is no textbook, they said Philosophy would mainly require you to look at the specification and learn the concepts from different texts (the texts are available for free on the website) as well as attempting the exam questions. The only issue I have is that from learning it at home it would be difficult to mark your own work since it may make sense to you but not from a examiners perspective. I'd recommend looking online for tutors in your local area or online to help with your essay writing etc.
221Breezeblocks
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Just left school and I did AQA Philosohpy. Feel free to ask me anything about it. I found the content really interesting (especially ethics) and it teaches you a lot about how to actually properly but a cohesive argument together.

If I'm right in saying the AS modules you'll be doing is Ethics and Epistemology, then the A2 modules should be Philosophy of Religion and Philosophy of Mind.

The course that you'll be doing is exactly the same as the one we did last year in terms of content except for the fact that we did Phil of Rel at AS and Ethics at A2. (they've just swapped those two modules around)

This website is basically the textbook online.
http://www.routledgetextbooks.com/te...9781138793934/
Tartaglia
Rep:
(Original post by Viniiiiii)
I'm doing the exact same thing, I'm learning A level maths and further maths (Edexcel). I plan to take the exams for a level maths next year and further maths and philosophy the following year. I chose philosophy since it requires you to learn concepts and apply them to questions with arguments. I recently contacted AQA since there is no textbook, they said Philosophy would mainly require you to look at the specification and learn the concepts from different texts (the texts are available for free on the website) as well as attempting the exam questions. The only issue I have is that from learning it at home it would be difficult to mark your own work since it may make sense to you but not from a examiners perspective. I'd recommend looking online for tutors in your local area or online to help with your essay writing etc.
Three years ago I had taken AS level R.E. with psychology and I got quite good at writing essays in both of them. If the exams are marked in the same way for Philosophy (which it seems evident from what I've seen in the past papers) then I am certain I can achieve the A-level. If I'm mistaken would you have any essay tips for me friend?
Tartaglia
Rep:
(Original post by 221Breezeblocks)
Just left school and I did AQA Philosohpy. Feel free to ask me anything about it. I found the content really interesting (especially ethics) and it teaches you a lot about how to actually properly but a cohesive argument together.

If I'm right in saying the AS modules you'll be doing is Ethics and Epistemology, then the A2 modules should be Philosophy of Religion and Philosophy of Mind.

The course that you'll be doing is exactly the same as the one we did last year in terms of content except for the fact that we did Phil of Rel at AS and Ethics at A2. (they've just swapped those two modules around)

This website is basically the textbook online.
http://www.routledgetextbooks.com/te...9781138793934/
You're exactly the kind of person I hoped would see this post. I would like to know if the addition of other philosophers included in answers would be beneficial to the marks I receive or would including something that is not in the spec (however relevant) be a detriment?

Furthermore, if you don't mind; what grade did you end up with? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to.
Viniiiiii
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Three years ago I had taken AS level R.E. with psychology and I got quite good at writing essays in both of them. If the exams are marked in the same way for Philosophy (which it seems evident from what I've seen in the past papers) then I am certain I can achieve the A-level. If I'm mistaken would you have any essay tips for me friend?
I'm taking the A levels mentioned this year. I would think that it would not do any harm getting someone else to see the essay. It's not just about the content, it's also about how easy it is to interpret. Hence, you might be able to understand what you're saying but if someone else can't then it may possibly reflect on the examiner marking your essay. However, you seem to have a sturdy idea on how to attempt these questions. Me on the other hand, it's my first time taking this A level. Maybe we could help each other out? I've already started the maths so we could also help each other on Maths too?
Tartaglia
Rep:
(Original post by Viniiiiii)
I'm taking the A levels mentioned this year. I would think that it would not do any harm getting someone else to see the essay. It's not just about the content, it's also about how easy it is to interpret. Hence, you might be able to understand what you're saying but if someone else can't then it may possibly reflect on the examiner marking your essay. However, you seem to have a sturdy idea on how to attempt these questions. Me on the other hand, it's my first time taking this A level. Maybe we could help each other out? I've already started the maths so we could also help each other on Maths too?
Sorry for not replying in a while I've been doing work, part-time job stuff, and all kinds of things. you can message me if you want if you're having trouble with anything. I'll help in whatever way I can.
Quirky Object
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
You're exactly the kind of person I hoped would see this post. I would like to know if the addition of other philosophers included in answers would be beneficial to the marks I receive or would including something that is not in the spec (however relevant) be a detriment?

Furthermore, if you don't mind; what grade did you end up with? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to.
It would not be a detriment, but you wouldn't get credit for it either; only the content included on the syllabus is marked (you can always add it in for fun if you've already covered enough syllabus content in your essays). It's great that you're studying other philosophers, though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
28.02%
As I expected (72)
31.03%
Harder (87)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.45%

Watched Threads