The Student Room Group

Declaring Parents' Income

I'm a mature student who has been financially dependent for the best part of a decade, however after submitting my information I was asked to get a declaration of my parents' household income. My parents are separated and have very different financial situations - my mum's income is well below the £45k threshold but my dad's income is above.

Is it mandatory for me to declare my parents income, baring in mind I'm financially independent?
Hi Glenbot3000,

If you are being asked for your parents household income then I assume you are under 25, not married and don't have any dependent children. Your only other option to be assessed for means tested funding without your parents financial information would be for you to provide financial evidence to show that you have been supporting yourself for three years.

You would need to send in a covering letter with your Customer Reference Number (CRN) to request to be assessed as an independent student based on self-support and enclose copies of P60's for three years (doesn't need to be consecutive years) or you can send in three years payslips (month 12 or week 53 that shows the full tax years earnings on them).

Once we receive your evidence the Independent team are currently taking up to 16 working days to process this.

Thanks
Hey Laura,

Thanks for your reply.

Would the evidence have to be posted or emailed? If it has to be posted, will the P60s need to be originals or can they be copies?
Original post by Glenbot3000
Hey Laura,

Thanks for your reply.

Would the evidence have to be posted or emailed? If it has to be posted, will the P60s need to be originals or can they be copies?

Hi Glenbot3000

Can I confirm that you are under 25 years old, a dependent student ?

If that is the case and you are looking to be assessed as independent, the financial evidence needs to be posted to

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

I can confirm that clear copies of your financial evidence is required, not the originals, along with a cover letter, your name and customer reference number.

Financial evidence is currently taking 20 working days, from receipt to be reviewed.

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
do the student income declare apply for student loan to get student maintenance grant loan?
Original post by staruk
do the student income declare apply for student loan to get student maintenance grant loan?

Hi staruk,

Only if you're applying as an independent student.

Thanks Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest