The Student Room Group

Appeal

This past year I have suffered with mental health issues such as anxiety and depression which have impacted my studies. In addition, my Grandad passed away just after Christmas and his funeral was during the examination period in January. I wasn't in the right frame of mind to sit the exams when I was consoling my mother and grieving with my family. It was really hard for my mum, I was taking care of her while trying to cope with my anxiety, depression and the loss of my grandad. I had an exam the day before the funeral and another the day after. I sent in mitigation for my exams to be taken later, and they were pushed to June.

I had concerns over the exams in June, I was really behind at this point and had both Semester 1 and Semester 2 exams to contend with, and also an outstanding exam from the year before. I sought advice from the health and wellbeing service at the Uni and I was encouraged not to sit my exams and was then advised to put in a repeat year application. I also sought help from my GP and was given medication for anxiety, depression and to help me sleep at night. I put in the application, detailed the issues I was having and attached evidence such as GP, my prescription and a death certificate. Two and a half months later, I get the outcome which was unsuccessful. (My application was sat on a desk for atleast 6 weeks and got lost at one point). I kept ringing for updates but was fobbed off each time. It wasn't until the 12th September, my academic tutor rang me and told me the outcome over the phone and that I should have an email with the outcome letter. I had not recieved any emails, nothing to my Uni email and nothing to my personal email they have on file. I received the email next day after I pestering the receptionist. I finally received my rejection letter via email, the letter attached was dated the 4th September. The outcome letter in the email states I have within 10 days to appeal of receving the outcome, the letter is dated the 4th. I wasn't told verbally until the 12th, and then via email on the 13th. So by going by that, I had 1 day to prepare my appeal, not the 10 days I should have had.

To help me with the appeal, I would want the support of the health and wellbeing service backing me but they are unable to see me until Monday which would make my appeal a late submission, judging by the 4th September date on the outcome letter.

I have been told I have the right to appeal, and I met with my academic tutor on the 14th September, initially he wanted the 15th but I pushed for the 14th. He was told if I appealed it would be unlikely to be successful, implying it's game over. He went through the appeal process as standard procedure but from the way he was talking to me, it was like he had already writen me off and the Uni had washed their hands of me. He wasn't sympathetic and lacked compassion when talking about the death of grandad and how that has impacted me and my mum (I live at home). He was telling me "Well, what if someone else died next year during exams, what would you do then" or "What if your mum cries in the next exams" etc. It was like he couldn't wait to get rid of me.

I have the appeal form that I am in the process of filling in but I can't help but think this will be for nothing. 1) They will penalise me for not handing it in within 10 days of the letter date and 2) They already have all the evidence in my possesion, and I am forbidden to submit the same evidence. Appeals without any evidence gets rejected outright. All I can add to it that my health and well being has improved since taking the medication, I can now function and do day to day activities and I am even at the Gym doing personal training which has given me confidence. Also, as a family, we are over the initial shock and are coming to terms and have better coping strategies now.

Does anybody have any advice on what to do?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Well I would start with a complaint about how your personal tutor has responded to your circumstances. That was not okay.

What was their reasoning for declining your request?
Reply 2
He mentioned there was concerns I'd struggle again with the workload and how I'd cope if if something else happened i.e another family death. He briefly scrolled through my application which contained various feedback boxes and he went too fast that I couldn't read it. He just said "I don't think I'm allowed to show you this" and cut it off.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply